Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is there an agreed on best practice for tapping into the power? It seems to be split, either going in the driver side footwell or punching through the firewall using the grommet on the passenger side. Any pros/cons for those that have installed as to where you tapped into and why? Also, why has no one mentioned this feature:
RTMv0F6.jpg

Seems pretty futuristic!!!

You have to make your own decision on that one.

Footwell power - sleeps when the car sleeps.
Firewall power - never sleeps...always on...straight to the battery.

When do you want your trunk/frunk to open?

Why are you selling it?

You don't want it anymore?

I do want it but I also want trunk lights. Perhaps it should have been obvious to me that this kit would render the trunk lights useless but I missed it. Does the TeslaOffer Kit that you have still allow the trunk lights to function? If yes, and if I’m able to sell my current unopened/new-in-box Hansshow version, I will likely buy that system. Thanks.

FYI and I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the non-CANBUS system tricks the car into thinking the trunk is always closed. The result is the lights in the trunk not turning on. When you first open or close to trunk you may see the light flash on for about a second. As far as I know, there are no fixes for this yet.

@iWeasel410,

Wait.....wait....wait....hold on. You mean with this mod I’lL have NO Trunk lighting at all? Can this be correct? That’s a deal breaker for me. Please verify this. Or let us know if they are atleast working on a Fix.

I just What’s Appd Stephen/William at HansShow re: this issue....I’ll let you all know what I hear.

Ski

Wow—no trunk lights? Really? All the write-ups and reviews and this is the first we’re hearing about this? For those who have already installed THIS kit, would you please confirm—lights or no lights?!? Thanks.

FALSE! My lights have come on fine every time I've opened the trunk in the past week since I've installed it, whether it be through the screen, app or squeeze handle...has not failed. Did you guys do the install yourself? The factory connectors for the lights are removed and NOT used with this kit. The kit has its own connectors to the lights and is controlled by the same module for the whole system. I would suggest you check your connections, and make sure the factory connectors are not still attached.

@BigBluu,

Thank You! What a relief.....hopefully these are install errors. Haven’t installed mine yet but it was an initial concern. Appreciate you chiming in on this. Must be something tricky with the light wiring portion on the install.
I have DMs and emails in to both Quan and HansShow re: this light issue, haven’t heard anything back yet. Hopefully they confirm your response and finding.

Ski

@BigBluu,

Thank You! What a relief.....hopefully these are install errors. Haven’t installed mine yet but it was an initial concern. Appreciate you chiming in on this. Must be something tricky with the light wiring portion on the install.
I have DMs and emails in to both Quan and HansShow re: this light issue, haven’t heard anything back yet. Hopefully they confirm your response and finding.

Ski

Sure thing! Like I previously mentioned, all the connectors fit only one socket so you can't really go wrong. If the lights weren't connected correctly, there would be 2 unused connectors from the kit and you'll be scratching your head.

Reactions: Skione65
I do want it but I also want trunk lights. Perhaps it should have been obvious to me that this kit would render the trunk lights useless but I missed it. Does the TeslaOffer Kit that you have still allow the trunk lights to function? If yes, and if I’m able to sell my current unopened/new-in-box Hansshow version, I will likely buy that system. Thanks.

Trunk Lights? Yes they work just fine.

Everything works just as they used to with the TeslaOffer Kit.

I just got my kit on Wednesday. I will install on Sunday. There is a 12V power source right underneath the rear seat on the passenger side so there is no need to run the power wire to the front of the car.

Instruction here -> There are 2 latches under the fronts of the cushions, one each side, about in the middle of each seat, move the latch from left to right (facing the rear) and the cushion locks will release. Then just pull it up and out, watch for seatbelt locks and heated seat harness, one left and one right, but there's enough room to unhook both.
Take the cushion out, on the passenger rear side, there's a foam block to support the cushion, just pick it up, not secured, underneath you'll see a battery dataport, and a red rubber boot.
The red rubber boot contains the 5/16"x18 bolt with a wire attached.

Another option is to run thru the right front fender and connect directly to the battery without punching through the firewall.

Last edited:
FALSE! My lights have come on fine every time I've opened the trunk in the past week since I've installed it, whether it be through the screen, app or squeeze handle...has not failed. Did you guys do the install yourself? The factory connectors for the lights are removed and NOT used with this kit. The kit has its own connectors to the lights and is controlled by the same module for the whole system. I would suggest you check your connections, and make sure the factory connectors are not still attached.

Any chance you have a photo of that harness? I was told that was the fix and am waiting for it to get delivered next week. After talking it through with the supplier about 4 weeks back we agreed that connecting the lights to power via the trunk controller was the best option. If you have that harness to connect to the trunk lights and the factory connector remains unplugged it sounds like you have the updated version already.

• Disagree
Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Any chance you have a photo of that harness? I was told that was the fix and am waiting for it to get delivered next week. After talking it through with the supplier about 4 weeks back we agreed that connecting the lights to power via the trunk controller was the best option. If you have that harness to connect to the trunk lights and the factory connector remains unplugged it sounds like you have the updated version already.

No, I didn't take any photos. See Hansshow's installation instructions below. It is parts 6 & 7 of the parts inventory photo near the bottom. The 4th to last install photo is where it mentions the factory light connectors are not used. I can assure you, my lights work fine.

Tesla Model 3 electric tailgate installation instructions | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
[QUOTE =“ clockwrkz,post:4112926,member:115353”]安装了我的frunk ...安装很快。也许1.5小时。最长的部分是确保所有电线都整齐。

我唯一要解决的问题是,当机盖关闭时,驾驶员侧的位置比机盖前唇上的乘客侧略高。有人看到类似的东西吗?我只是不知道这到底是怎么回事。[/ QUOTE]