Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the Auto Frunk today. Wow! This thing is “DaBomb”! Engineered really well. Stephen at HansShow was phenomenal with ‘Support after the Sale’. Can’t speak highly enough of him.
Now I’ll actually “Use” the Frunk after not having used it for the past year due to loathing the opening and specifically closing of it. It will be my “Go To” now!
Going to ‘attack’ the Auto Trunk /with foot sensor tomorrow!

Ski

Reactions: KenC and ScrewieEDH
In what instance do you think you'd want to open the trunk from inside the car vs being outside the car if you got the version with the foot sensor? Trying to figure out if it's worth doing this modification. Also, I don't seem to have the connector you seem to mention that has this blue wire (am I looking at it wrong?).

Opening from inside works regardless. It's closing from inside that requires this modification because without it, if the car thinks the trunk is open, the OPEN button is greyed-out on the touch-screen. My use-case for needing to close from the inside is when my kids grab their bags from the trunk and don't have a hand to reach up and press the button, so I can just close it from inside for them.

The connector I'm referring to is one that has three wires that connect to the existing power latch on the trunk.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Installed the Auto Frunk today. Wow! This thing is “DaBomb”! Engineered really well. Stephen at HansShow was phenomenal with ‘Support after the Sale’. Can’t speak highly enough of him.
Now I’ll actually “Use” the Frunk after not having used it for the past year due to loathing the opening and specifically closing of it. It will be my “Go To” now!

Ski

Good stuff!

Hi everyone,

I hope all of us already got our orders at this point. If you still have not received your order, please contact me immediately, so I can help to track your order. I have seen some people finished the installation and shared back your experiences. That's awesome!!! Since mine is also having the similar issue with the connector, I had to use the professional installer to finish the installation for me, so I cannot help in installation tips.

Anyway, I'm very happy with its performance. There are some extra features I found out after the installation that were not advertised. Since some people asked for tricks and tips of the performance from these kits, I uploaded my video here about how these kits actually work on my car.

Ski

have they shortened up the cables or changed anything in the installation?

I watched an install video and was a bit gobsmacked that the cables are something like 15 feet long and took up a lot of space to hide after the install was completed.

My other remaining mental block on this is the battery tap, there’s no more elegant way to tap power for this install other than tapping the 12v battery?

have they shortened up the cables or changed anything in the installation?

I watched an install video and was a bit gobsmacked that the cables are something like 15 feet long and took up a lot of space to hide after the install was completed.

My other remaining mental block on this is the battery tap, there’s no more elegant way to tap power for this install other than tapping the 12v battery?

Correct. Still a lot of wire, they haven’t been shortened. It’s not really an issue. I just bundled the wires and zip-tied them after making the appropriate runs. Still a Very Clean install. You just have to figure out strategic locations to place the bundles....not all that difficult.
Still a 12v battery tap.

Ski

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
Hi everyone,

I hope all of us already got our orders at this point. If you still have not received your order, please contact me immediately, so I can help to track your order. I have seen some people finished the installation and shared back your experiences. That's awesome!!! Since mine is also having the similar issue with the connector, I had to use the professional installer to finish the installation for me, so I cannot help in installation tips.

Anyway, I'm very happy with its performance. There are some extra features I found out after the installation that were not advertised. Since some people asked for tricks and tips of the performance from these kits, I uploaded my video here about how these kits actually work on my car.

Very informative. Thanks!
One question though, from your video, it looks like you had the foot sensor installed on the outside of the bumper. What was your reasoning for that? Would it work if installed inside the bumper?

Hi everyone,

Interesting.
I installed the foot sensor inside of the bumper and my trunk opens with simple kicking motion.

Reactions: Skione65
Hi everyone,

Your phone showed your trunk closed when it was open.

Additionally - the screen inside the car will ALWAYS show that the trunk is closed. This means that you will never get an alert that your trunk is open when backing out of the garage....which for some pose a dangerous situation. The trunk opens so high that your rear view mirror is looking right through the opening between the car and the trunk....when its opened.

That's the primary problem I have with the design of this product....and is the primary reason I installed the other one.

Last edited:
Technically, you can see your trunk open on the app and the car screen when it's open with Hansshow product. I had the same concerns when I got the product, so I had a long chat with the support team. Yes it's a limitation, but there is a way to know if your trunk is open or not.

To have this information you need to follow the instructions on the file "harness change method.pdf" attached here.
Once you're done with the modification you need to update the controller box of the trunk with the file "update.txt", please change the extension to ".bin" or it will not work.

Then finally the behavior will be the following:
- When your trunk is closed, you can see that it's closed
- When your trunk is open the button on the screen switches between open/close to let you know it's open.
- You can open and close the trunk from the screen and the button of the trunk
- You can only open the trunk from the app and not close it.

Video illustrating the new behavior:
trunk - Streamable

Personally I'm not 100% satisfied with this solution, but I think it's worth mentioning to people who want and need to know the status of the trunk.

I'm not 100% satisfied with this solution either.

I want my Tesla to work just as it did before. I don't want an upgrade product to downgrade my car.

Technically, you can see your trunk open on the app and the car screen when it's open with Hansshow product. I had the same concerns when I got the product, so I had a long chat with the support team. Yes it's a limitation, but there is a way to know if your trunk is open or not.

To have this information you need to follow the instructions on the file "harness change method.pdf" attached here.
Once you're done with the modification you need to update the controller box of the trunk with the file "update.txt", please change the extension to ".bin" or it will not work.

- When your trunk is open the button on the screen switches between open/close to let you know it's open.

trunk - Streamable

Personally I'm not 100% satisfied with this solution, but I think it's worth mentioning to people who want and need to know the status of the trunk.

Why didn't it come like this?

I havent had my installed yet but, can you open and close the frunk from the screen? or you can only open from screen and close it by app. Can someone demo how you close the frunk from the app?

This is a video from a post above.

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

Again...I'm not a fan at all of how this hardware actually works. He hides the deficiencies pretty well.

trunk - Streamable

\
Marcuir,

is this the same file as the one you posted yesterday for full trunk opening? or is it different?