Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, i just bought both frunk+trunk from a guy who got it on black Friday. When seeing trunk installation videos my main wire harness looks different than one the videos. Am i missing something? The attached image is where the wire is different. It's the part that goes into the hatch (i moved the two light wires out of frame). I only have these two connectors and not the bigger sealed auto-connector.

Also, how do i see which hansshow version i have?

/Morten.

Attachments

• IMG_8025.JPG
    IMG_8025.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 133
Hi guys, i just bought both frunk+trunk from a guy who got it on black Friday. When seeing trunk installation videos my main wire harness looks different than one the videos. Am i missing something? The attached image is where the wire is different. It's the part that goes into the hatch (i moved the two light wires out of frame). I only have these two connectors and not the bigger sealed auto-connector.

/Morten.

Here's the part that I don't have. Neither the plugs (red circle) or the thin white wire (blue circle).

Attachments

• Wire maybe missing.PNG
    Wire maybe missing.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 99

/Morten.

That's V3.

I wonder if anyone else had this problem.
I think i have V2 of the trunk and frunk kits.

The issue was this. I packed the trunk with a bunch of stuff, one being a case of beer. I put the case of beer towards the front of the trunk, closest to the lid of the trunk. I hit the button to close the trunk. It was a bit noisy out. The trunk closed, or what seemed to be closed, but it was not fully closed. It looked fully closed. It must have beeped 3 times but again, i didn’t hear it.

I drove about a mile. Then at a stop sign i gunned it a bit, and heard a thud. And i realize there is no way something could have shifted in the trunk area...
Mind you, the display did not show the trunk was open, because it always looks closed with this kit.

Well, the case fell back, bumped the lid open, and flipped out of the trunk, and landed (safely) on the shoulder of the road. As i drove about 100 feet, i realized what the noise was, saw my trunk lid via rear view mirror, slightly open, and immediately pulled over, went to the back of car, closed trunk, swung car around, ran across the street, grabbed my precious beer (only lost 2 bottles), and put it back in the car.

So, i love these kits. They are amazing, but is it possible for the trunk to pop back open all the way if it cannot close properly, so you know it did not close? I.e. if someone puts something in my trunk, hits the button to close it (while I’m sitting in the drivers seat), and i don’t hear the 3 beeps, i will never know if that trunk is fully closed.

Or any other ideas to avoid this hops casualty?

Thanks

The Hansshow Frunk kit now comes with a silicone case.
I’ve ordered one and installed it recently. Took me about half an hour. Just need to redo some wires.
The controller is under the plastic cover but dust and grime can get in there. So, it is a good idea to weather proof the controller.
Contact Hansshow if you want to get one. They only charge me shipping.
View attachment 510114

@WhiteP3D,

How much for shipping?

Ski

Anyone else has problems with the Frunk hood not aligning with the body after install?
It’s lower than the body. Mainly in the middle. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t like that before.

Attachments

• 3EACC6A3-835D-4075-A933-95D196F07CCE.jpeg
    3EACC6A3-835D-4075-A933-95D196F07CCE.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 134
The Hansshow Frunk kit now comes with a silicone case.
I’ve ordered one and installed it recently. It took me about half an hour. I just needed to redo some wires.
The controller is under a plastic cover, but dust and grime can still get in there. So, it is a good idea to weatherproof the controller.
Contact Hansshow if you want to get one. They only charged me the cost of shipping.
I got a note from them today about protecting their control box, no offer for a case, however. They just say to get a waterproof bag and tie it around the box.

wps4.png

Please do a good job in waterproofing according to our instructions to avoid equipment failure and other problems. If you do not follow the instructions, we will not be responsible for any problems. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hansshow
Ivy

Glad Tesla doesn't make me do work for them when a technical issue arises, sigh. I responded asking for the silicone case you described.

I got a note from them today about protecting their control box, no offer for a case, however. They just say to get a waterproof bag and tie it around the box.

View attachment 517100
Please do a good job in waterproofing according to our instructions to avoid equipment failure and other problems. If you do not follow the instructions, we will not be responsible for any problems. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hansshow
Ivy

Glad Tesla doesn't make me do work for them when a technical issue arises, sigh. I responded asking for the silicone case you described.

So much for “Service after the Sale”......I have this kit and have been having the box short out in several rainstorms on the interstate and the Frunk unlatches.....happened today driving home from the SC. Luckily the safety catch catches it.....NOT comforting at 70mph on the interstate. This is their “fix”? Wish HansShow would answer my queries. By the way I have gotten NOTHING from them notification wise concerning this.
@Randy Spencer was this via email?

Ski

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I just ordered both products, no foot sensor (just didn’t want to mess with the bumper), and wanted to see how tough a DIY install this was? Also, if anyone has any tips/tricks to make the frunk or trunk install easier that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

13-1.jpg

Frunk...

Mightve just been me but this cost me a hour plus as pondered wtf i did wrong.....the "motor plug" is on the drivers side. There is an identical plug on the passenger side and they do not have the same trigger. The behavior is it wouldnt power open but would power down an lock/unlock.

bondoz

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
Thanks, perhaps I'll try to give it another try this weekend. I have a few questions which I'll use the installation instructions for reference:

1) on step 10, I don't recall my car having a river gromit. Is this necessary? Is it included in the package?

2) on step 14 and 16, is this the trim that's directly behind the 2nd row seats? How do I remove the trim? I only see the two retainers that are behind the actual seats.

3) on step 21, does the B+ wire still go to the battery that's behind the trunk? The instructions makes it look like I have to mess with the wires in front of the passenger seat.

Hi, I am new to this forum and I've learned so much by just simply browsing through the many posts.
I ordered the Hansshow trunk liftgate last week. I plan to do it myself. While doing my research, in addition to this forum I also ran into 2 YouTube videos showing in more detail the installation procedures. No, I don't speak French but the videos are pretty self-explanatory. Hope you'll find them useful. I'll definitely give this a try when my kit arrives in a few weeks!

First video:
Footage at:
4:11 to 9:26 - shows how to gain access to the Tailgate Signal connector under the rear seat trim.
11:34 to 13:30 - shows how to access the 12V terminal in the passenger foot well
18:12 to 23:40 - shows how to run the strut cable through a grommet into the trunk without removing the bumper at all.

Second video:
Footage at:
13:23 to 17:18 - shows how to access the Tailgate Signal connector under the rear seat trim
18:59 to 22:34 - shows how to run the Strut cable to the trunk through a blue rubber grommet into the trunk