Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

In answer to #916's (MortenBN1988 ) on this thread, I have had a hood alignment issue after fitting the frunk kit. And, the kit worked the first time, however..., once the hood was closed, the front left side of the hood was ~4mm lower than the car bodywork and the front right side was about ~4mm higher than the car's bodywork.
After making some adjustments to the latch mechanism and to the length of the Hannshow soft close 'wire', there was little, if any, difference. So, I then disconnected the electrical supplies to the control unit and, also, detached the Hannshow strut from the hood on the side sitting higher and then manually closed it and had perfect alignment - the hood was level to the bodywork all round.
So, I'm wondering if the struts are not calibrated/one and maybe tone strut is not fully retracting leaving the hood higher at the associated front edge or something...
Has anybody else had similar issues, and, is so, how did you manage to resolve them?

I have this same issue and the same theory as you. Can’t offer any help unfortunately and have just lived with it so far but I feel like the struts are slightly off from each other.

Hi,

In answer to #916's (MortenBN1988 ) on this thread, I have had a hood alignment issue after fitting the frunk kit. And, the kit worked the first time, however..., once the hood was closed, the front left side of the hood was ~4mm lower than the car bodywork and the front right side was about ~4mm higher than the car's bodywork.
After making some adjustments to the latch mechanism and to the length of the Hannshow soft close 'wire', there was little, if any, difference. So, I then disconnected the electrical supplies to the control unit and, also, detached the Hannshow strut from the hood on the side sitting higher and then manually closed it and had perfect alignment - the hood was level to the bodywork all round.
So, I'm wondering if the struts are not calibrated/one and maybe tone strut is not fully retracting leaving the hood higher at the associated front edge or something...
Has anybody else had similar issues, and, is so, how did you manage to resolve them?

Has anyone ordered the new $519 Frunk model that supports closing the frunk from the Tesla Nav Display and has an option foot sensor? Wanna see how that works, that has been of interest to me for some time. Although if I am in my car can someone else swipe their foot under my frunk and open it? If I don't look up quick my view is going to be blocked by the hood. I won't know if they are stealing stuff from it and running or what is going on.

Does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade an older model?

Has anyone ordered the new $519 Frunk model that supports closing the frunk from the Tesla Nav Display and has an option foot sensor? Wanna see how that works, that has been of interest to me for some time. Although if I am in my car can someone else swipe their foot under my frunk and open it? If I don't look up quick my view is going to be blocked by the hood. I won't know if they are stealing stuff from it and running or what is going on.

Model 3 Frunk Controller Upgrade to V3 | Hansshow

I just ordered the updated controller for screen control and foot sensor today. Will post once I get them installed how it works out.

Hopefully shipping doesn’t take too long!

13-1.jpg

Frunk...

Mightve just been me but this cost me a hour plus as pondered wtf i did wrong.....the "motor plug" is on the drivers side. There is an identical plug on the passenger side and they do not have the same trigger. The behavior is it wouldnt power open but would power down an lock/unlock.

bondoz

Hey Buddy, are you saying those wires can be mistakenly installed? I thought all the wires only go in one way. My frunk power closes, but when I try to open it, it comes down right away--power opens for like a inch. Having read this thread since page 30, you're the closest one with my problem. I just got it yesterday, so presume my software is updated.

After placing my order for the new V3 Frunk setup with kick-sensor I was contacted saying that all I needed to pay for was cables and a card, not the new control box, so they are refunding me $14 (out of the $59 I paid). This should be interesting.

I do have TF cards to do the upgrade with, but they are sending me one along with the reader to hook to my computer. Perhaps they have had problems with different readers or cards. Either way, cannot wait to open the Frunk w/o getting in or opening the app. Just walk up and kick it sounds like.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
After placing my order for the new V3 Frunk setup with kick-sensor I was contacted saying that all I needed to pay for was cables and a card, not the new control box, so they are refunding me $14 (out of the $59 I paid). This should be interesting.

I do have TF cards to do the upgrade with, but they are sending me one along with the reader to hook to my computer. Perhaps they have had problems with different readers or cards. Either way, cannot wait to open the Frunk w/o getting in or opening the app. Just walk up and kick it sounds like.

@Randy Spencer,
Wait.....I’m totally confused now. I literally was just getting ready to do the same and order the new “Upgrade” V3 controller box which is what it shows on the site as well as what CiCi explained along with the new foot sensor. I was understanding that it was a new box with new electronics/innards? It doesn’t show new cabling and wires. It was supposed to be a box that’s ‘plug and play’ (my understanding with our old current cabling/wiring). Now you’re saying there’s no box but new cables and a card? Not sure I’m following.
Can you or could/did you follow up with a better explanation from CiCi on what exactly is going on? Someone else @Clockwork just ordered the box and FS AS well. Any change for them?
Not really sure what I should order now.

Ski

@Randy Spencer @CiCi,

Maybe I should let this parse out. They keep changing the website on the fly. It’s literally changed 3 times in as many days. Now it no longer shows the box. Now it shows no box (which I was hoping to get) but just new cables/wiring harness and a cardboard small box (what’s in the box I have no idea-maybe the foot sensor? Too small for the electronic control box which is not offered any more). And a picture of the bag.
Confusing. I put out a DM to CiCi and will follow up when I Hear from her. So it appears $15 cheaper for the upgrade.....$114 vice $129 and now you get wiring but no longer get the control box. But now also get the bag,

Ski

@Randy Spencer,

How did you pay $59. The Control box was $60 and the foot sensor add was $69 for $129. Now that’s all changed. To $114 for no box, a card and some wiring harness with a free bag ($20) if bag separate.
My heads spinning.

Holding off on ordering right now till I figure out what’s going on, what I need, and what @CiCi says we get in the new upgrade kit.

Ski

Last edited:
How did you pay $59
As you say, the website is changing all the time, perhaps when I ordered they had changed the price on the box to the $59 I paid ($128 total). The cable and the card are a memory card for upgrading the control box and the cable is likely for plugging the card into a computer, to put the update onto the card. I would think it's cheaper to just email the update and let me put it on my own card with my own connector, so perhaps they don't have a reader on the controller and you just plug the reader cable into the controller via USB, I don't know, but if that's the case I may leave the USB plugged in and route it into the frunk so I don't have to take the whole thing apart each time an update is released.

Cici sent me instructions to do the update put the file onto the FAT formatted SD card and then plug it into the controller and watch the LED, it should blink for not quite 30 seconds and then reboot.

Hey Buddy, are you saying those wires can be mistakenly installed? I thought all the wires only go in one way. My frunk power closes, but when I try to open it, it comes down right away--power opens for like a inch. Having read this thread since page 30, you're the closest one with my problem. I just got it yesterday, so presume my software is updated.

HI....

Your problem sounds like the one i had. Basically it closes but doesn't open, it does unlatch however.

There are a number of things to look at but make sure you hooked up all the connections correctly. If you pulled a "bondo" and plugged into the wrong connection it will not open. Steps 13 & 14 in the instructions use the "motor plug" on the drivers side its in there aways by the lights IIRC. There is an identical plug on the passenger side do not use that plug - thats what i did wrong.

GL

Last edited:
I got the same message... no box needed, just new cables and a software update and getting a bit of a refund. That said, originally I was told no wiring needed to change, only the control box so seems odd. I've asked about that but no answer yet.