Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Group buy opportunity" for reasonably priced Mud Flaps (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine came off again after adding new tape so unfortunately I removed them today. I nearly pulled the rear bumper assembly off with applied pressure for 90 secs so it wasnt that. I just could not get them to seat at an angle that made for a good connection between the tape and the rear rim.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
FYI, PSA and all that... Thought you all might like to know that the rear flaps are just trouble. I just took a closer look at my rear flaps this afternoon, and oh boy, there's so much crap - including gravel, that builds up behind them, which gets pressed against the bumper. I didn't pull either of them off yet, but I suspect my number where all the debris sits against it - is likely not in great shape.

Anyway, here's a picture of what came out of the flap when I pushed it and wiggled it enough to let debris fall out of it. The design of it makes it clear WHY this is happening (the metal bracket forms a "tray" of sort, and stuff just piles on on top of it), and I do wish we had a good rear-flap solution (no, those numerous Chinese-made ones are not that).

Anyway, just a PSA to be sure to clean out this area. It might be worse for those of us on PS4S tires, because those are so sticky they pick up everything. Sigh...

418B1B42-5509-47D9-A731-ABBF01761EE6_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I recall in the instructions that there was a specific way to install the tears to avoid the gap. Don’t recall details other than that there was something mentioned in the instructions.
I’ll look at it again, but the stainless steel strap that holds the bottom down is rather flimsy making it difficult to get a tight fit against the plastic flap. Overall, though, I do like the product.

Reactions: untilcomplete
Got any info on that? I don’t recall anything with the included instructions.
I no longer have the instructions, either. I would suggest contacting Mike, the owner. His contact information is somewhere early in this group buy thread. Send him the pictures and ask for instructions and advice. He will work with you to resolve any issues and might even have a redesign to send you for free.

“Whoop, there it is!”

“b. Insert one of the stainless steel brackets through the slot in the rear splash guard, pushing all the way through until the lipped edge of the bracket rests against the splash guard. Try to center the bracket in the slot. This will be a tight fit. The bracket must protrude through the slot on the exposed side of the splash guard (textured side) and must be angled UP. If it is angled down, please remove it and re-insert so it is not angled UP. When installed properly, this up angle will cause a spring action to hold the splash guard firmly against the inside fender in the correct position.”

“Whoop, there it is!”

“b. Insert one of the stainless steel brackets through the slot in the rear splash guard, pushing all the way through until the lipped edge of the bracket rests against the splash guard. Try to center the bracket in the slot. This will be a tight fit. The bracket must protrude through the slot on the exposed side of the splash guard (textured side) and must be angled UP. If it is angled down, please remove it and re-insert so it is not angled UP. When installed properly, this up angle will cause a spring action to hold the splash guard firmly against the inside fender in the correct position.”

There is what? That’s the basic installation instructions. It has nothing to do with all the crap that accumulates back there.

Reactions: untilcomplete
If you follow the instructions, the gap mentioned above (#505) should not be there. Not sure how that may or may not affect debris collecting on the inside of this or any other aftermarket flap alternative. :)

I followed the instructions. I’m not sure exactly what you’re saying. The flaps are held firmly against the fender where they can be. This is what makes it so tricky to get the small pieces of crap out from behind them which still gets in there.

I followed the instructions. I’m not sure exactly what you’re saying. The flaps are held firmly against the fender where they can be. This is what makes it so tricky to get the small pieces of crap out from behind them which still gets in there.
It appears there are two issues being discussed - gaps and debris collector. My instructions post was related to the gap issue.

Another few days, another pile of gravel and mushy leaves/tree crap stuck behind the rear flaps. There's no question that these rear flaps have damaged my rear bumper by letting gravel accumulate and jostle behind the flap. Thankfully there are flaps themselves covering the damage, but the irony of having mud flaps that damage my car, but cover the damage - is not lost on me.

Another few days, another pile of gravel and mushy leaves/tree crap stuck behind the rear flaps. There's no question that these rear flaps have damaged my rear bumper by letting gravel accumulate and jostle behind the flap. Thankfully there are flaps themselves covering the damage, but the irony of having mud flaps that damage my car, but cover the damage - is not lost on me.
Sorry to hear of this. Many, including myself, put PPF on the edge of the wheel well (whatever brand/style), just as a precaution.