Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GTA Electrician to Install Tesla HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to give details on a local HPWC Installation as this is something I was looking for before I got my Tesla HPWC installed.

For the last couple of weeks I have been calling around and getting quote to get my Tesla HPWC installed and couldn't find much information. I called the Electricians listed on the Tesla website and they were charging ridiculous amounts.

I just wanted to post this information on here in case anyone else is looking for a local Electrician to get a Tesla HPWC installed or just a Dryer plug if you want to go that route.

I started going through the contractors that were listed on the ESA website and narrowed my search down to anyone who had a website so that I can see prior projects they have completed.

I came upon one Electrician named Matt who had a website as well as a couple of social media pages where he had posted his prior projects. His latest project was a JuiceBox EV Charger for a Chevy Bolt.

Since he had done this EV Charger install before, I thought I would give him a call and ask him for a quote for the Tesla HPWC Install.

He came by 2 days after I called him and took a look around. He mentioned he had not done a Tesla HPWC Install before and that it would be his first time but that it should be similar to the previous EV Charger install he had done.

He provided me a quote of $1100 all inclusive (Permits, Inspection, Hardware, Wiring, Taxes, ect...)

I went ahead with this quote and he scheduled the job for a week later. He arrived on time and completed the job as planned with no hiccups.

Everything was done with respect to my house and property. All items that were removed during the install were put back as they were including large stone tiles that he had to dig up as the wire had to be burried 60 inches minimum and a full sweep was done after the install.

The way my installation went was like this:

My electrical panel is in my finished basement. He installed a 60 amp breaker, and then drilled a hole big enough for the conduit from the panel to the outside which ran along the side of the house and then burried at the point where it would cross a pathway. From there another whole was drilled into the garage for the conduit and then the wire ran up and into the Tesla HPWC.

All holes were filled with Foam after the installation and sealed.

Matt was very professional and I would recommend him to anyone in the GTA looking to get a Tesla HPWC or Dryer Plug installation done.

If anyone would like anymore details regarding the installation process, just send me a quick message. I can also provide more pictures of the installation if you would like.

His contact information is -

Matt Barrows
MRB Electrical

(647) 267-7447
[email protected]
http://mrbelectrical.ca/
M.R.B Electrical Services (@m.r.belectrical) • Instagram photos and videos

Attachments

• 20171119_154127.jpg
    20171119_154127.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 160
Manny at New Dawn (listed on the Tesla website) insisted I needed a new panel for a significant additional cost. I ended up going to a family friend. Sure, I wasn’t going to get 80amps from the panel, but I was happy with 40amps. I agree, be careful with quotes from electricians recommended by Tesla

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to give details on a local HPWC Installation as this is something I was looking for before I got my Tesla HPWC installed.

For the last couple of weeks I have been calling around and getting quote to get my Tesla HPWC installed and couldn't find much information. I called the Electricians listed on the Tesla website and they were charging ridiculous amounts.

I just wanted to post this information on here in case anyone else is looking for a local Electrician to get a Tesla HPWC installed or just a Dryer plug if you want to go that route.

I started going through the contractors that were listed on the ESA website and narrowed my search down to anyone who had a website so that I can see prior projects they have completed.

I came upon one Electrician named Matt who had a website as well as a couple of social media pages where he had posted his prior projects. His latest project was a JuiceBox EV Charger for a Chevy Bolt.

Since he had done this EV Charger install before, I thought I would give him a call and ask him for a quote for the Tesla HPWC Install.

He came by 2 days after I called him and took a look around. He mentioned he had not done a Tesla HPWC Install before and that it would be his first time but that it should be similar to the previous EV Charger install he had done.

He provided me a quote of $1100 all inclusive (Permits, Inspection, Hardware, Wiring, Taxes, ect...)

I went ahead with this quote and he scheduled the job for a week later. He arrived on time and completed the job as planned with no hiccups.

Everything was done with respect to my house and property. All items that were removed during the install were put back as they were including large stone tiles that he had to dig up as the wire had to be burried 60 inches minimum and a full sweep was done after the install.

The way my installation went was like this:

My electrical panel is in my finished basement. He installed a 60 amp breaker, and then drilled a hole big enough for the conduit from the panel to the outside which ran along the side of the house and then burried at the point where it would cross a pathway. From there another whole was drilled into the garage for the conduit and then the wire ran up and into the Tesla HPWC.

All holes were filled with Foam after the installation and sealed.

Matt was very professional and I would recommend him to anyone in the GTA looking to get a Tesla HPWC or Dryer Plug installation done.

If anyone would like anymore details regarding the installation process, just send me a quick message. I can also provide more pictures of the installation if you would like.

His contact information is -

Matt Barrows
MRB Electrical

(647) 267-7447
[email protected]
http://mrbelectrical.ca/
M.R.B Electrical Services (@m.r.belectrical) • Instagram photos and videos

Thats seems a good price for your run considering the complexity of it. I electively upgraded my basement panel first from 100 to 200 amps for the charger and future basement shop considerations. My run was about 25 meters through the basement into the garage. Similar to yours we ran Teck90 6/3 wire as we could surface mount it. It's on a 40 amp breaker to a Nema 14-50 for now. Once I get the car they will switch out the 40 for a 60 amp breaker and install the Tesla WC.
I'm an hour east of the GTA and got a few quotes. Over $1000 variation between them. The lowest quote and the one I ran with was a large local contractor that does some work for the township and county as well. Really nice work. Shopping around paid off.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I also have a 14-50 receptical installed. Just if the charger fail, then I can plug in the mobile charger. Happened before with my leaf. The leaf was grounded until the replacement came. It takes for ever to charge with 120v.

Thats seems a good price for your run considering the complexity of it. I electively upgraded my basement panel first from 100 to 200 amps for the charger and future basement shop considerations. My run was about 25 meters through the basement into the garage. Similar to yours we ran Teck90 6/3 wire as we could surface mount it. It's on a 40 amp breaker to a Nema 14-50 for now. Once I get the car they will switch out the 40 for a 60 amp breaker and install the Tesla WC.
I'm an hour east of the GTA and got a few quotes. Over $1000 variation between them. The lowest quote and the one I ran with was a large local contractor that does some work for the township and county as well. Really nice work. Shopping around paid off.

How much was the total with the panel replacement?

How much was the total with the panel replacement?

3 part quote with all 3 parts required to get the quote price. Piecemeal would be higher.

1. I already had buried 200 amp service to the meter. Meter about 8’ from the panel inside. Ran 200 amps inside, installed 200 amp panel, cleaned up all the existing wiring, permits and inspection. $1130 + HST

2. Ran approx. 25 meters of Teck90 6/3 wire from the panel, through the basement into the garage to a Nema 14-50 between the garage doors. Installed a 40 amp breaker and provided a 60 amp breaker for later. $750 + HST

3. Will return if the Model 3 ever shows up and switch out the 40 amp breaker for the 60 amp and install the Tesla WC. Permit and another inspection. $475 + HST

Before:

ACD24656-500F-4E6F-940C-BE094FECDFCA.jpeg

After:

E72E8C7F-470F-4761-82A1-23AF5170C46B.jpeg

52FB823C-9A93-4734-A2F5-2B7AE4DD28D9.jpeg

E4363297-3231-436D-A235-6DD111FBFAC0.jpeg

42114691-8F5E-409C-8291-FD6D8FF57A69.jpeg

B61EB410-E8F2-480E-8A48-2426ECC26DA8.jpeg

Attachments

• 5941B54B-3FD2-43D8-AE82-0DED76CCBFF1.jpeg
    5941B54B-3FD2-43D8-AE82-0DED76CCBFF1.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 77
3 part quote with all 3 parts required to get the quote price. Piecemeal would be higher.

1. I already had buried 200 amp service to the meter. Meter about 8’ from the panel inside. Ran 200 amps inside, installed 200 amp panel, cleaned up all the existing wiring, permits and inspection. $1130 + HST

2. Ran approx. 25 meters of Teck90 6/3 wire from the panel, through the basement into the garage to a Nema 14-50 between the garage doors. Installed a 40 amp breaker and provided a 60 amp breaker for later. $750 + HST

3. Will return if the Model 3 ever shows up and switch out the 40 amp breaker for the 60 amp and install the Tesla WC. Permit and another inspection. $475 + HST

Before:

View attachment 261849

After:

View attachment 261852

View attachment 261857

View attachment 261856

View attachment 261855

View attachment 261854

This looks good. Mind sharing the electrician details?