Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt the oh-so-sensible idea of a free or discounted (yes, I typed it) option at config time will make it through committee, so that leaves trinkets.

Rumor has it the trinket for line-waiters will be a scale model of a Model 3. It's a great idea that doesn't require sizing. Presumably it will be anatomically correct without the skippy front end and with a final trunk design. Figure after design complete in about a month, it would take another 4 months to initiate and produce 115,000 of the little bahstads; they'll make wonderful holiday season gifts that will tide us over until the Q3 2017 reveal #2. Let's say Q3/September 30th with the design studio open that evening. Quietly, employees will have configured theirs starting the 1st week of September.

Eh. It could happen.

Since Elon just stated this week that it will be "pencils down in 6 weeks", I would not expect a token 'model' before that design is done.
They why did he tweet that the token of appreciation was already on order? I think that they are just in the process of organizing the mailings and manufacturing whatever it is that they ordered (obviously from a 3rd party vendor)... best guesses so far are t shirts and or wall art, in addition to the scale model 3

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
ohmman , can you tell the story of the origins of your avatar? It has intrigued me for years... and have the eyes always moved or was that added later? That really got me one day ;)
It's an image I found many years ago and have always loved. It's a rendering of homo erectus, an early hominid and one of our predecessors.

I edited it to make the eyes blink - did it a month or two ago. It's fun watching people slowly notice. I have some other tricks up my sleeve for a future date...

It's an image I found many years ago and have always loved. It's a rendering of homo erectus, an early hominid and one of our predecessors.

I edited it to make the eyes blink - did it a month or two ago. It's fun watching people slowly notice. I have some other tricks up my sleeve for a future date...

I appreciated the elf hat during the Holiday season.

Reactions: ohmman

An occasional nostril flare would be nice ... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
this is why I'm hoping for access to a specific paint color, you still have to pay for it, but only get access if you were crazy enough to stand in a huge line to reserve sight unseen.
I'm hoping for Turquoise..
An occasional nostril flare would be nice ... :cool:
The Token may be "the pencils" there putting down...

Rumor has it the trinket for line-waiters will be a scale model of a Model 3. It's a great idea that doesn't require sizing. Presumably it will be anatomically correct without the skippy front end and with a final trunk design. Figure after design complete in about a month, it would take another 4 months to initiate and produce 115,000 of the little bahstads; they'll make wonderful holiday season gifts that will tide us over until the Q3 2017 reveal #2. Let's say Q3/September 30th with the design studio open that evening. Quietly, employees will have configured theirs starting the 1st week of September.

A scale Model 3 would be cool!

Also: Reveal #2 is supposed to be Q3 of 2017?! I thought they were going to do another reveal later this year and then a big reveal Q2 of 2017...

If you think about the token from a marketing perspective, it will be something that we can show to our friends to get them excited about the car too. I seriously doubt it will be discounted upgrade options or free supercharging passes. It will most likely be something we can carry around (like a keychain) or a desktop decoration (like a model car or something that lights up and makes sound like the Staples "Easy" button).

It's a fine line between something that's impressive and shows off Tesla's quality, and something that's cheap enough to give away.

Reactions: Xaff and Max*
Remember there were two gifts discussed. One for reservation holders and one for day one line waiters.

If it wanted, Tesla could certainly accommodate both a gratis or discounted software toggle during Design Studio configuration time *and* the obligatory chotchky (probably a scale model or mug or hat or other one-size fits all light to ship item).

Remember there were two gifts discussed. One for reservation holders and one for day one line waiters.

If it wanted, Tesla could certainly accommodate both a gratis or discounted software toggle during Design Studio configuration time *and* the obligatory chotchky (probably a scale model or mug or hat or other one-size fits all light to ship item).

Was something promised for reservation holders? I've always been under the impression that it was only for those who reserved before the event and as such, have never expected anything.

Though, a mug would be brilliant, something useful!

Edit: typo

If you think about the token from a marketing perspective, it will be something that we can show to our friends to get them excited about the car too. I seriously doubt it will be discounted upgrade options or free supercharging passes. It will most likely be something we can carry around (like a keychain) or a desktop decoration (like a model car or something that lights up and makes sound like the Staples "Easy" button).

It's a fine line between something that's impressive and shows off Tesla's quality, and something that's cheap enough to give away.
Just not as loud as those Staples easy buttons.

A coworker of mine had one, and each time I'd walk by his desk, I'd make sure to hit it, and half the office would hear it. After a few days he hid the button.