Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The design is still not even finished yet (within the next few weeks), and besides, they won't send out a scale Model 3 until they unveil the final interior. The scale Model S is extremely realistic inside and out.

522A7573_1024x1024.jpg
Oh neat. I assumed the scale model would just be a simple plastic shell mold.

EDIT: It probably will be if it's going out to thousands of people for free. The model you linked is $210. No way in hell that will be a "token of appreciation". This is not an apples to apples comparison. If we do get a scale model, it'll be an injection mold like this:

cfda649c-5ccb-4471-8581-d45320c308102.jpg

Which means the front will be one of the main attractions.

Oh neat. I assumed the scale model would just be a simple plastic shell mold.

EDIT: It probably will be if it's going out to thousands of people for free. The model you linked is $210. No way in hell that will be a "token of appreciation". This is not an apples to apples comparison. If we do get a scale model, it'll be an injection mold like this:

cfda649c-5ccb-4471-8581-d45320c308102.jpg

Which means the front will be one of the main attractions.
How much do you think that scale Model S actually costs them though? I've seen similar in the $20-50 range, which means costs to produce is probably half that. They sell it for $210 because it's low production numbers and a premium product. They could probably get 50,000 of the Model 3 produced for $20 apiece, which is nothing compared to the $1000 we all put down.

My Tesla shirts look great and are high quality fabric, and I gladly paid $35 for them, but I bet they cost Tesla $5 apiece to make.

I'd be happy with a cheaper style, that didn't have the interior, but Tesla doesn't usually make things that look cheap.

Reactions: Railhawk52
Why in the world do you guys think a "scale" model is anything but a full size model 3? The tweet to Elon was a subtle joke which he caught and replied among other things because everyone who reserved IS getting a scale model 3. When you look at scale models they have a fraction rating that notates how big they are compared to the original being copied. i.e. 1/8th scale model or 1/16th... etc. etc.

Why in the world do you guys think a "scale" model is anything but a full size model 3? The tweet to Elon was a subtle joke which he caught and replied among other things because everyone who reserved IS getting a scale model 3. When you look at scale models they have a fraction rating that notates how big they are compared to the original being copied. i.e. 1/8th scale model or 1/16th... etc. etc.
I thought it was a scaly Model 3 he was referring to... as in the golf-ball-dimpled-skin car tested by Mythbusters that produced improved mileage vs. the same car with a smooth skin. Another way Tesla is reducing drag on the Model 3? :)
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/mythbusters-golf-ball-like-dimpling-mpg/

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture

Really? I don't even have to configure, order, or pay for it? I guarantee that everyone who reserved a Model 3 won't be actually getting one.

He also said that he expected 20-30 per store so crazy long line means all lines at all stores in my mind.

I was in Austin and there was at least 500 in line. I was number 106 and was waiting for 5 hours. I consider that pretty crazy.
I was about 150 behind you, got there about 8:30 and actually ordered a little before 1pm. Amazing just chatting with all those with a common purpose :)

I was about 150 behind you, got there about 8:30 and actually ordered a little before 1pm. Amazing just chatting with all those with a common purpose :)
What surprised me in the Seattle line was how many people knew so little about Tesla-Superchargers, 240v charging, company history, who this guy Musk is. It helped pass the time to fill them in, even pointed a few to TMC.

Not everyone, certainly, and perhaps just the few people around me in line-but still interesting they were making a leap of faith on so little information.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
What?

Is Austin the only Tesla store in Texas? Why were there so many people in line? We have 3 stores here in Chicago.
There are stores in Houston and Dallas. Long lines in all of those locations. Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio (not far from Austin) are 3 of the most populated cites in the country. I knew this and woke up at 2am and drove from Baton Rouge to Houston to be one of the first 70 or so people in line.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D