Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guestimating Tesla "invitation to configure" heuristic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why can't we just stop telling people that they are wrong.

Who has the right answer? Speak up.

If no one knows, then all of Tesla's comments are useless and they can just do whatever they want.

They can do whatever they want. I'm just stating what they are currently doing, not speculating what they are going to do. I was just pointing out that the speculation didn't fit with what was already happening.

Its confirmed that line waiters on day one have nothing to do with configuration either.

On Talking Tesla's podcast, there are 3 hosts for the show. The 2 guys that didn't wait in line have been blessed with a configuration option. They 1 guy that waited in line is still waiting for his configurator invite.

ALSO. The 1 guy that waited in line owns 2 Tesla Model S's. The guys who can configure own 1 Tesla each.

Ep 116 - Model 2 Out Of 3 Ain't Bad

I love Talking Tesla. Those guys are great. I even became one of their patreon subscribers.

Only for the owners. For the non-owners we don't know.
I don't understand what you mean.

All 3 hosts of Talking Tesla own Teslas......so there is no issue with ownership there. As a matter of fact, the host who owns the most Tesla's AND also waited in line......hasn't been invited to configure.

I just can't explain this.

Tesla doesn't need publicity such as this. Should they do something about this? ( Making promises that can't be kept ). Its not the fault of the hosts of the podcast at all. They aren't making a big deal about it either. I mean geesh... the host that can't configure yet ...and waited in line already has 2 Teslas so....he isn't Teslaless.

Tesla doesn't need publicity such as this. Should they do something about this? ( Making promises that can't be kept

Oh please, Tesla didn't really make any promises other than a guideline of how they will prioritize invitations to configure. They said ownership is a factor, as well as proximity to the factory and day/time of reservation. And I'm sure those three factors that play into who gets invited. But there are likely several other internal factors included that they didn't publicize that might elevate someone to get an invite over someone else when just looking at those three factors. We also don't know the weighting value applied to each factor.

It's simply not a discrete equation with three variables plugged in and it pops out a fixed invitation order. There is likely LOTS of massaging and subjectiveness thrown in to invite people lower on the list. It's their system and their perogative to do whatever the **** they want to do. As long as in general they are following their guidelines, that's the best you can hope for. Nobody is ever going to reverse engineer the invite formula. It's a futile exercise to even try. Or get pissed off because there are inconsistencies in the invite order.

I just can't explain this.

Exactly. Stop trying to.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
I don't understand what you mean.

All 3 hosts of Talking Tesla own Teslas.....
Exactly. So for non-owners those who waited in line could still have priority over online as Tesla stated.

Btw Tesla said owners have priority over non-owners not that - for owners - inline waiters have priority over online.

Also, Tesla has stated that those who own two Tesla's will have priority for both M3s, if they order two. They don't have priority over those with one.

Exactly. So for non-owners those who waited in line could still have priority over online as Tesla stated.

Btw Tesla said owners have priority over non-owners not that - for owners - inline waiters have priority over online.

Also, Tesla has stated that those who own two Tesla's will have priority for both M3s, if they order two. They don't have priority over those with one.
Are you reading about what has actually happened at all?

The line waiter DID NOT have priority over the online people. That's a fact.
The inline waiter received NOTHING over the online people. That's a fact.
The person who owned 2 teslas DID NOT get to configure before the others that own 1 tesla. That's a fact.

What in the world are you talking about? Do you have your opposite button pushed on your screen or something?

• Funny
@Garlan Garner it must be difficult to read my post, because I exactly described your DID NOT, NOTHING and DID NOT facts. Maybe take a deep breath and read again the second line. It says exactly the fact: owners have priority over non-owners. That's all.
Let me post your entire 2nd line please.

"Btw Tesla said owners have priority over non-owners not that - for owners - inline waiters have priority over online."

3 people had reservations. 3 people are current owners. 1 waited in line and he didn't get an invitation to configure. The other online orders did.
Are you still saying that inline waiters have priority over online? Am I understanding you correctly?

• Funny
3 people had reservations. 3 people are current owners. 1 waited in line and he didn't get an invitation to configure. The other online orders did.
Are you still saying that inline waiters have priority over online? Am I understanding you correctly?

With a sample size of THREE, you can't actually draw any conclusions from this. Your 'facts' actually prove nothing in the bigger picture. You should stop trying to find meaning where there is none.

Oh please, Tesla didn't really make any promises other than a guideline of how they will prioritize invitations to configure. They said ownership is a factor, as well as proximity to the factory and day/time of reservation. And I'm sure those three factors that play into who gets invited. But there are likely several other internal factors included that they didn't publicize that might elevate someone to get an invite over someone else when just looking at those three factors. We also don't know the weighting value applied to each factor.

It's simply not a discrete equation with three variables plugged in and it pops out a fixed invitation order. There is likely LOTS of massaging and subjectiveness thrown in to invite people lower on the list. It's their system and their perogative to do whatever the **** they want to do. As long as in general they are following their guidelines, that's the best you can hope for. Nobody is ever going to reverse engineer the invite formula. It's a futile exercise to even try. Or get pissed off because there are inconsistencies in the invite order.

Exactly. Stop trying to.
WHAT? All I'm talking about are the guidelines of how they will prioritize invitations to configure and now its not really happening that way in some instances.

I will direct you to Tesla's own website. Elon has provided many other official statements that I can direct you to as well concerning Orders being delivered from the West Coast to the East Coast....and such.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

Some people would like their website to be true.

When will I be invited to configure my Model 3, and when can I take delivery?
Model 3 reservation holders are receiving invitations to order and design Model 3 based on the time and date that they placed their reservation. Current Tesla owners have priority as a thank you for their support.

Can I use my Tesla owner priority on more than one Model 3 reservation?
Yes. If you have owned one Tesla, you will receive priority for one Model 3 reservation. If you have owned two or more Teslas, you will receive priority for up to two Model 3 reservations.

Maybe you don't consider things like this a promise, however I do:
Elon Musk on Twitter

A guy voices his displeasure in having folks from the West Coast get their cars before those who waited in line in NJ. Elon's response is fact and promise by Tesla in my estimation......and is indeed happening as we speak.

All I have been talking about is configuring. Where are you reading that I'm saying something else?

I'm not talking about stuff like this: Elon Musk on Twitter

Last edited:
  • Funny
Let me post your entire 2nd line please.

"Btw Tesla said owners have priority over non-owners not that - for owners - inline waiters have priority over online."

You missed the word 'not' in the sentence: 'Tesla said that... not that...'

You missed the word 'not' in the sentence: 'Tesla said that... not that...'
I don't understand what you are saying......anywhoo. It doesn't matter.

We know what has happened regardless of what Tesla has said. Line waiters obviously take no precedence over those who didn't. It really does not matter if Tesla has stated it or not. There were 144K line waiters and the ethics of the situation alone would lead me to believe the situation might be better handled. I'm for sure now that those who stayed in their beds sleeping might fair better than those who waited out in the rain at 3AM.

Oh well..... no problems. I'll continently wait.

I don't understand what you are saying......anywhoo. It doesn't matter.

We know what has happened regardless of what Tesla has said. Line waiters obviously take no precedence over those who didn't. It really does not matter if Tesla has stated it or not. There were 144K line waiters and the ethics of the situation alone would lead me to believe the situation might be better handled. I'm for sure now that those who stayed in their beds sleeping might fair better than those who waited out in the rain at 3AM.

Oh well..... no problems. I'll continently wait.
Maybe this post explains my position better.
Web reservations given priority over line standers?
Honestly, I never got a sense that any of the store vs online prioritization applied to owners. Owners (in whatever order suits them) get priority, then non-owners in store, then non-owners online, each with some unknown amount of geographic prioritization. I don't think I ever heard anything that directly implied that the fastest way to get a Model 3 was to own a Tesla AND camp out in line.

So you are using a sample of 3 people out of the, well over, 120,000 people that stood in line or ordered online on the 31st? You realize that you cannot get much more statistically irrelevant than that? The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of people who have reported being invited to configure have been prior owners who waited in line and live in California. A few outliers does not indicate a trend.