Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gulp... I guess this is really happening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery set for next Tuesday afternoon! omg...omg...

I've never spent this much coin on a ride before EVER (since I bought my first new car), AND I take mass transit to work!!!! Not that I can't swing this (financially) but it goes my mindset regarding vehicles purchases for the past 10 years (not worth shelling out so much money for personal transportation, rapidly depreciating asset, better places to park my money... etc.).

But then I test drove the M3P on March 17th... and the joy of driving I had when I bought my '89 Mustang LX 5.0 returned, and so, I just couldn't help myself!

Still - a bit of me feels foolish for spending so much on something that I won't use often and knowing that - for the most part, people should spend $$ on experiences (i.e., travel), and not material items. But - in support of that logic - driving the M3P is quite an experience :)

And again, you only live once - and, it's time for it to be at least a little "about me", hence my screen-name ;-)

Be well my friends :)

Last edited:
Pre congratulations! As long as you can swing it financially, its a good choice. Nothing wrong with saving and being frugal, but also as you said "you only live once". I personally believe that, if something really excites you, its worth spending money on.

The reason most of us work is to be able to "put a roof over our heads" and "provide for our families and ourself", but AFTER those basic needs are taken care of, money is there so we can get the things we WANT as well as what we need.

I have had my model 3 performance since 12/04, and although I have been a "BMW guy for something like 15 years", I am still excited to get behind the wheel to make my commute to work in my tesla. Is it PERFECT? No, but no car is. Do I LOVE it? Absolutely 100% yes.

Premium gas has gone up to $4.30.4.50 a gallon and I didnt even notice till one of my co workers told me, somewhat jealously "I bet you are enjoying driving that tesla even more with gas prices shooting up for summer driving here". I am still pinching myself that I can have a car that is the fastest car I have ever owned, yet still comfortable for commuting daily, AND that its almost 50% cheaper for me to operate on a day in, day out basis.

I sound like a fanboy, and I am not, but man I really really like this car. Congrats again, heres to hoping you feel the same way about yours as I do about mine :)

Some advice: It may have some stuff wrong with it initially. Do NOT let that ruin things for you! It'll get fixed. It's not unusual. Don't obsess over it like a lot a lot of us did.

I've never spent so much on a car as I did my MS, and I work from home, and I can easy walk to three large grocery stores, and I'm not even a "car guy". Still, it was some of the best money I've ever spent. It's given me more joy than any other object I've ever owned.

Some advice: It may have some stuff wrong with it initially. Do NOT let that ruin things for you! It'll get fixed. It's not unusual. Don't obsess over it like a lot a lot of us did.

I've never spent so much on a car as I did my MS, and I work from home, and I can easy walk to three large grocery stores, and I'm not even a "car guy". Still, it was some of the best money I've ever spent. It's given me more joy than any other object I've ever owned.
So true. I have owned some very nice cars but this is the only one where I am happy to get a yellow light and stop knowing I will be first in line when the light turns green.

My only advice is if you find anything major wrong with it just reject it and ask for another car. The minor stuff you can live with for a few weeks is OK, but something like a trunk full of water (like someone else had) or major paint issues simply aren't worth dealing with yourself. That said, my car was flawless and has given me no problems other than stuff that was fixed with software updates. Odds are it will be awesome for you too.

@Dads-reward
make sure to ask the salesperson, that will do the tutorial for you and your wife, for some time alone to inspect the car.
I found a couple of imperfections that i would have not noticed had I just followed his routine (panel alignment, and buffing marks). Didn't prevent me from taking delivery as it was all cosmetic (and very minor), but he recorded the issues as pre-existing, and they should be able to fix at a later time, while in Tesla service center.

Thanks for the reassurances. Yeah - I'm getting that minor issues can be addressed, but "trunk full of water" issues should make me reject. I'll have my wife there - she's good on such "balancing of the equities" decisions- plus another set of eyes to look things over.

kavyboy -lol ..
Make sure to look in the compartment below the trunk. There's a little loop and it pulls up the "under trunk". That's where water would collect. It's just nice to know it's there because it's actually a pretty large storage space and quite handy for things like flares, emergency kits, tarps and tools. I also keep my yoga mat in there. You'll be surprised at how much the car can actually hold. On the left side of the trunk there's also nice hidey hole for bottles that will keep them from rolling around. That's where I put my beer bottles and pop when I go shopping.

I've never spent this much coin on a ride before EVER (since I bought my first new car), AND I take mass transit to work!!!! Not that I can't swing this (financially) but it goes my mindset regarding vehicles purchases for the past 10 years (not worth shelling out so much money for personal transportation, rapidly depreciating asset, better places to park my money... etc.).

But then I test drove the M3P on March 17th... and the joy of driving I had when I bought my '89 Mustang LX 5.0 returned, and so, I just couldn't help myself!

Still - a bit of me feels foolish for spending so much on something that I won't use often and knowing that - for the most part, people should spend $$ on experiences (i.e., travel), and not material items. But - in support of that logic - driving the M3P is quite an experience :)

And again, you only live once - and, it's time for it to be at least a little "about me", hence my screen-name ;-)

I'm not sure why you are posting here. You took a test drive, you knew that you were going to get one.
Who know, maybe in the not too distant future you won't need to take mass transit as the car will take you and then go find a place to park and pick you up in the afternoon.
Just think of the car as a spacious set of headphones that don't have to stress your ears out like they do on mass transit.

Same for me. I traded a 7 month old 2019 Toyota Avalon, crazy right? But after driving the model 3 I was done for.

Same for me. I traded a 7 month old 2019 Toyota Avalon, crazy right? But after driving the model 3 I was done for.

LOL. That's why I held off for about 5 years on a test drive. It was either that it would not go well and crush my dream, or it would go well and I'd have to have one, like, now. Well, I also have a delivery next Tuesday, so you know which way it went. :)

If it helps, I spent $80K + sales tax on my Model S back in 2013, more than I will ever spend on a car again probably, and I have never regretted it. It's just far more relaxing and comfortable to drive than a gasoline car. You will find yourself driving more because you enjoy it more.

You're already enjoying the "performance" aspect... but wait until you've had it a few weeks, you'll start enjoying the "cruise" aspect too. Your whole family will prefer the electric car for outings.

Keep taking mass transit to work; traffic is no fun, downtown parking is awful, and trains can go faster than cars past traffic.

But I'm sure you -- and your wife -- take lots of other trips where you can't take the subway or train. You'll love the car. And it'll last a long time, too; Teslas are durable. (They also have slightly better depreciation curves than average cars.)

The only problem you'll have is... if you're a two-car family and you both need to go different places, you and your wife will fight over who gets to drive the Tesla. If you're a one-car family, you may have marital harmony. :) (Does she take mass transit to work too? If not, she's gonna be driving the Tesla ALL THE TIME.)

Last edited:
$$ on experiences (i.e., travel), and not material items. But - in support of that logic - driving the M3P is quite an experience

That's exactly why I have it.

Life is about the experiences you get to have. I'll always cherish the experience I got with my Model S back in 2015 when the Supercharger network was just starting to cross wide parts of the country.

It was fun being able to experience something so new, and unique. It was a new way of traveling, and I enjoyed it.

With the M3P it's a bit of a different experience.

The possible Track days
The ease of road trips.
Even the moments arguing with NoA
The feeling of the night before Christmas before an expected update lands. Or the jealousy of seeing other people get it. :p
Getting to experience the whole FSD thing. It's going to be an adventure.

It's a good car for people who want something more than a car.

I’m coming out of a Mazda
If it helps, I spent $80K + sales tax on my Model S back in 2013, more than I will ever spend on a car again probably, and I have never regretted it. It's just far more relaxing and comfortable to drive than a gasoline car. You will find yourself driving more because you enjoy it more.

You're already enjoying the "performance" aspect... but wait until you've had it a few weeks, you'll start enjoying the "cruise" aspect too. Your whole family will prefer the electric car for outings.

Keep taking mass transit to work; traffic is no fun, downtown parking is awful, and trains can go faster than cars past traffic.

But I'm sure you -- and your wife -- take lots of other trips where you can't take the subway or train. You'll love the car. And it'll last a long time, too; Teslas are durable. (They also have slightly better depreciation curves than average cars.)

The only problem you'll have is... if you're a two-car family and you both need to go different places, you and your wife will fight over who gets to drive the Tesla. If you're a one-car family, you may have marital harmony. :) (Does she take mass transit to work too? If not, she's gonna be driving the Tesla ALL THE TIME.)

@neroden ... lucky for me she actually doesn't want to touch it! She's definitely not a tech person - bad enough she has problems figuring out the electronics in her Cx-5 ... that said - she did enjoy the 0-60 runs we did in the test drive, as well as how quiet the car is. If somehow she get behind the wheel and starts to understand the interface, etc - I'm definitely in trouble!

Countdown begins ... 5 days!

@S4WRXTTCS - looking forward to all of it!

@hcdavis3 - this M3P is an upgrade from my 2010 Mazda CX-9 ... which we are holding onto for HomeDepot garden runs ;-)

Reactions: cdub
Congratulations! You're going to love it. I've been obsessing over it since a test drive in November, and finally got to the point in April where the economics were close enough to get out of my lease that I pulled the trigger.

Picked it up 2 weeks ago and hoped that would let me relax and stop obsessing..... nope. Hasn't happened yet.

I haven't been this excited to drive since I first got my license decades ago.

My 11yo son is almost as excited as I am... and he's already drooling at the possibility of this being his car in 6 years as a hand-me-down when I pick up a Model Y or ... whatever is current then.

So, congratulations, welcome aboard and just be aware -- you haven't scratched that itch. It doesn't get boring... at least it hasn't for me yet. I'm still totally enamored with this car!

(and ps - you sound like almost-my-twin. My wife has a Buick Enclave (much like your CX-9) and is intimidated by the Model 3's technology... but she sure likes the way it drives; the acceleration and handling and visibility are way better than she expected.)

@Dads-reward - I understand how you feel. I went it to test drive a Model 3, figuring I'd get a new driving experience for about the same $50k I typically spend on a new car. Unfortunately at the moment I went in for the test drive they didn't have a Model 3 available to drive. So I drove a Model X and bought one 24 hours later. Suddenly my $50k spend became $100k!! And it's been worth every penny! :)