Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gurgling bubbling sounds from my 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have that gurgling noise also. Just noticing it now that weather is getting cooler. There are enough people here and on other threads who are experiencing this. It definitely is an issue. It also is embarrassing when you have a passenger in the car checking it out and you hear gurgling like molten lava under the hood. What is it?

Complete guess here:
I'm guessing it is connected to the heating system. The battery is liquid cooled and heated. With the new v7 update, I believe the heating system uses the compressor as a heat pump to the greatest extent possible before activating the resistance backup heat. Before v7, I would have said the system was purely AC for cooling, and resistance heat only for heating. Now I can distinctly tell when the electric resistance heat kicks on, I can smell it. Our home heat pump does the same thing, since most of the year, its running on its compressor and not the back-up.

We just took a 2200 mile trip from Oregon to Utah and back and I noticed this gurgling sound as well, and it coordinated with brief operations of the compressor now and then.

I'm not sure if the liquid warmth running through the battery also helps heat the cabin, but its how I'd try to utilize 1 compressor to heat two different things. Our heater was on, settings to 73 degrees interior temp, outside temps were in the mid 50s.

Reactions: David99
There is no heat pump capability in the Model S. Unfortunately it lacks the hardware for this.

The compressor will sometimes run during heating for dehumidification purposes. There is no liquid inside the cabin except for the refrigerant, and the heat comes solely from an electric resistance heater (PTC).

I suspect it's just the A/C evaporator doing it's job; boiling refrigerant. You hear some of the gas bubbles coming up through the passages in the coil.

I find it a nice soothing noise. Sort of womb-like!

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone
Sorry if I am bumping a super old thread. I got the same gurgling sound when heat is on. The tech found out is an actuator behind the dash that’s on its way out. The actuator is responsible for directing air to the feet. Tesla even had the same sound recorded inside their database. So is a known issue. FYI

2016 Model 75 here just started noticing this exact noise. Sounds like refrigerant boing off or something. Almost repeats itself every 30 seconds or so, basic same repeating over and over. Def not related to battery coolant as I only hear with A/C on; no, heat not on. Turn A/C off and it will not do it. It is cooler here than normal (sorry mid-westerner's, 60 is "cool here") so may be related, but just noticed a few weeks ago. Ignore or send to have them look?

I think this is just refrigerant boiling inside the evaporator. This will happen even in the winter, because when in auto mode the HVAC will use the A/C a tiny bit to condense the humidity out of the air to prevent internal fogging on the cold glass. (normal function on all cars) The lack of engine noise in a Tesla means you can hear this very soft bubbling sound, whereas on an ICE vehicle, the engine idle would mask it.

At least on my 2 cars, it's NOT an actuator. I think this is 100% normal. To test my theory, put the system in manual and turn off the A/C. The bubbles will go away after the R134 stops circulating.

Reactions: Ulmo
I think this is just refrigerant boiling inside the evaporator. This will happen even in the winter, because when in auto mode the HVAC will use the A/C a tiny bit to condense the humidity out of the air to prevent internal fogging on the cold glass. (normal function on all cars) The lack of engine noise in a Tesla means you can hear this very soft bubbling sound, whereas on an ICE vehicle, the engine idle would mask it.

At least on my 2 cars, it's NOT an actuator. I think this is 100% normal. To test my theory, put the system in manual and turn off the A/C. The bubbles will go away after the R134 stops circulating.

If A/C is off, it stops almost immediately. Thanks. I think I just noticed sound due to recent frigid temps in FLorida o_O