TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

H&R Block Tax Credit Issues

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Nerdy_Engineer, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

I tried doing my taxes this weekend using H&R Block (I always TurboTax in previous years). I decided to use H&R Block for the 10% Amazon refund bonus. It's not worth the headache. The only EV tax credit that H&R Block seems to support is the $7500 federal tax credit (30%). It does not support the EV charger installation federal credit or the Colorado state EV credit ($6000). It's been such a hassle. I'd recommend to everyone that hasn't done their taxes yet, to avoid H&R Block.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

they are known as blockheads for a reason.
    in all seriousness programs like that are geared towards the masses of people who have fairly simple returns, once you get a bit out of the mainstream most of those programs cannot handle some unique situations that people have. consider finding a professional to help you along.

3. travis010

travis010 Member

I had to switch from HR Block to Turbo Tax when I bought my volt 4 years ago since they didn't even support the Federal Tax Credit. I guess it's good to know they at least support that now but how frustrating that they don't support charger installs or state credits.

• Helpful x 1
  4. EMB2

EMB2 New Member

You might want to check to see if you qualify for AMT. My accountant informed me that if you do, you do not qualify for the federal tax credit for EV charging installation.

5. Vizir

Vizir Member

what is the EV charger tax credit? and can it be applied for (same year as the car, or the year I purchased the EV charger -- which, in my case, was the year following the EV purchase year)?

6. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

You may have troubles claiming the alternative fuel infrastructure credit and the $7,500 federal credit the same year regardless of which tax prep software/company you use. But the state credit should be completely separate. I've been using TurboTax for over a decade with great results. Last year there was some sort of Amazon refund bonus offer if you bought TurboTax through Amazon. I looked at the terms and some online reviews of the refund bonus and it seemed very shady. I opted to just get my refund direct deposited to my bank account as usual and everything went well.

7. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

8. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Same here, used H&R Block's software for years until we got our Volt and at the time it didn't support the EV credit at all so we switched to Turbo Tax that year and have never looked back...

Jeff

• Like x 1