Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hack-charging on a generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Most* portable generators don't. The Honda EU20i is very portable and will produce cleaner power than you get from the grid. Hz output is not tied to engine speed at all. The generator output is rectified and then fed to an inverter which makes perfect 60Hz (or 50Hz in Europe) sine wave. My EU65iS also does this, but it's not what you'll call portable. Movable, maybe...

I meant that the alternators themselves don't. Hence my last sentence:

The generators that are coupled with inverters typically produce a much better wave form.

:smile:

I just put together a cord so I can hook my Roadster into a generator @240v and I'm going to take some trips to small shops that sell generators to see if they'll have some fun with me testing ... I'll try the Honda stuff first... I'll try both 120 and 240. I'll report back...

> Many generator sets are going to need to "spoof" the GCFI circuit. Many of us have done this by using a resistor across the load to ground/neutral.[TonyWilliams]

That would be two equal resistors from each leg to ground? Details (or link) please.
--

Many generator sets are going to need to "spoof" the GCFI circuit. Many of us have done this by using a resistor across the load to ground/neutral.

With a quality generator, like any of the Honda / Yamaha ones, that can hold the correct frequency / voltage / amps, it should work.
So after I washed my Roadster this afternoon and pulled it into the garage I spied my Honda EU2000i generator sitting there (used to run my motorcycle tire warmers at the track and in case of an earthquake/power outage). I remembered this thread so thought I'd take a crack at it.

Now, I have cut off the GFCI from the Tesla 120V cord so it would work in public chargers (this was before I got hsharp's J1772 adapter). But the car charged fine at 12A reporting 123V. Generator was running just fine and not even at full throttle. Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 969
So after I washed my Roadster this afternoon and pulled it into the garage I spied my Honda EU2000i generator sitting there (used to run my motorcycle tire warmers at the track and in case of an earthquake/power outage). I remembered this thread so thought I'd take a crack at it.

Now, I have cut off the GFCI from the Tesla 120V cord so it would work in public chargers (this was before I got hsharp's J1772 adapter). But the car charged fine at 12A reporting 123V. Generator was running just fine and not even at full throttle. Pics attached.

Excellent! I have the same generator and was planning on trying it out on my dad's Model S when it gets here (he's Sig 417) and report back. I likely still will, just to make sure that it works fine on Model S as well. I would think that, if it works on Roadster, it'll work on Model S.

> My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - charging on generator [TonyWilliams]

That the pair of 100k ohm resistors from each leg to ground has any effect whatsoever implies that the generator frame is somehow NOT connected to the car's frame. Note that Strider's generator works just fine charging his Roadster; the 3rd planet from the Sun does not enter into this equation at all.

A good beginning would always be to bind frame-to-frame with a stout conductor. Then run the test.
--

Excellent! I have the same generator and was planning on trying it out on my dad's Model S when it gets here (he's Sig 417) and report back. I likely still will, just to make sure that it works fine on Model S as well. I would think that, if it works on Roadster, it'll work on Model S.

Wow. Your dad must be a lot more generous with his car than I would be. I think if I caught my son doing electrical experiments on my new Model S, I would be absent from these forums for from 10 to life. :)

Wow. Your dad must be a lot more generous with his car than I would be. I think if I caught my son doing electrical experiments on my new Model S, I would be absent from these forums for from 10 to life. :)

Lol, well he wants to find out, too. Last winter we lost power for three days and we were both wondering if we would have been able to charge off a generator. It would take a while to recharge, but at least it would be something.

Charging from a generator?

As I head into a fifth day of no power post Sandy, and look back on the eight days of not power after Irene and seven after last year's October snowstorm here in CT, I'm just wondering if charging the Model S from my generator poses any risks to the battery or the car?

I have a standard contractor's generator, that basically powers the well and septic pumps, the fridge and storage freezer, furnace and some lights. We only run it a few hours in the AM and PM, as generally we are fine without power and the kids think this is all a grand adventure.

The Model S will be my everyday car, and I'd hate to think I am unable to charge it from the generator or have to find one of the overpriced charging stations here in CT (assuming they have power!).

Thoughts?

Just curious...

Has Tesla -- or any EV manufacturer for that matter -- said anything regarding extended power outage (like if it lasts 3 weeks)? I'm curious after the bricking stories a bit back.