Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hacking the AP Nag warning!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if its possible to "hack' the Nag warning as to make it disappear completely?
Will Tesla eventually remove it?
Could it be gone once AP 2 rolls around completely in 5 years?
Could they increase the time to say, 10 minutes? (Most probable outcome I would think)!

I wonder if its possible to "hack' the Nag warning as to make it disappear completely?
Will Tesla eventually remove it?
Could it be gone once AP 2 rolls around completely in 5 years?
Could they increase the time to say, 10 minutes? (Most probable outcome I would think)!

If you read the information on fully autonomous AP 2.0 software, Tesla says that the car can be sent by itself to a Service Center, or can be used as a driverless taxi. The software will eventually not require the driver to hold the steering wheel or even be in the car.

If you read the information on fully autonomous AP 2.0 software, Tesla says that the car can be sent by itself to a Service Center, or can be used as a driverless taxi. The software will eventually not require the driver to hold the steering wheel or even be in the car.
So then why even bother with a steering wheel yet alone a "heated' steering wheel then? LOL!
AP2 LOL!

• Disagree
Reactions: MarcoRP
So then why even bother with a steering wheel yet alone a "heated' steering wheel then? LOL!
AP2 LOL!

In the U.S., Google tried to remove the steering wheel in their driverless car, and the U.S. government agency that regulates automobiles, said that the Google car had to have a steering wheel. Right now all cars in the U.S. have to have steering wheels.

upload_2017-1-23_23-53-41.png

Not all Tesla owners will upgrade to the fully autonomous feature so a heated steering wheel is a good option to have in the Northern states and in Canada.

My S90D was delivered on December 27th with the sub-zero package and with the AP 2.0 option. Since the fully autonomous software will not be available for months, it is hard to drive the car without a steering wheel.

I am sure that you comment was send in jest. LOL back at you :)

Reactions: Drone Flyer
You can duct tape a water bottle slightly to one side of the steering wheel and that will exert enough micro torque. And given the nonlinear dynamics of water sloshing around in a bottle, it will not be easily detected as a deadweight either.

Of course, this is not recommended. Whether or not you like the steering wheel torque sensing approach, ensuring the driver at the wheel is responsive and not incapacitated. It's too bad the car doesn't have a more foolproof way of doing so, but that's not a good excuse for defeating the one and only pulse check this car has....

For an AP 2.0 car it's going to be removed, but it should be interesting to see if they'll do that with EAP. One of the things EAP is supposed to be able to do is to change lanes automatically. Is it still going to require the user to hold the steering wheel while it does that? They'll definitely remove it for those with the FSD package.

Anyways with an AP 1.0 car I imagine you have to ways of removing it.

The first way is attaching weight to it to produce some torque

The second way insert something between the computer and the steering wheel torque. Where it tricks the computer into thinking someone is holding the steering wheel. I'm really surprised no one has done this yet so maybe I'm underestimating the complexity.

Another, more legal way, is to touch the steering wheel with your knee whenever it wants you to touch it. This way, your hands can still be free to hold your coffee or chocolate milk!

There's no law that says you can't do that. It may of course be unwise.

Personally, I find the steering wheel nag very annoying because every time it goes off I do have my hands on the wheel. I can't relax my hand position the way I normally would while driving; instead I have to deliberately apply a little bit of steering torque all the time.

If I were to do something like that, it would only be to defeat the unnecessary erroneous warnings; I would be holding the wheel.

I’m going to try the orange thing. See if it works.
I’m always attentive while driving anyway, so whether there is an orange there or not, I will immediately take over in an emergency.
If you have AP activated, there is no need to have your hands on the wheel! My view is that if you want to drive with your hands clutched to the wheel, then why bother with AP?

There's no law that says you can't do that. It may of course be unwise.

Personally, I find the steering wheel nag very annoying because every time it goes off I do have my hands on the wheel. I can't relax my hand position the way I normally would while driving; instead I have to deliberately apply a little bit of steering torque all the time.

If I were to do something like that, it would only be to defeat the unnecessary erroneous warnings; I would be holding the wheel.
I rest my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel up against the side of the central down extension and I find I never get the nag. I can feel that the weight of my hand gives enough resistance to the AP steering. And it is comfortable with my elbow resting in my lap.

I rest my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel up against the side of the central down extension and I find I never get the nag. I can feel that the weight of my hand gives enough resistance to the AP steering. And it is comfortable with my elbow resting in my lap.

I'm more comfortable with my hand on the bottom. Though your position is how I have to drive with Autopilot. (When maneuvers are required my hands are at 3 and 9.)