TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Hacking the AP Nag warning!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Drone Flyer, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

I wonder if its possible to "hack' the Nag warning as to make it disappear completely?
    Will Tesla eventually remove it?
    Could it be gone once AP 2 rolls around completely in 5 years?
    Could they increase the time to say, 10 minutes? (Most probable outcome I would think)!

2. S85D

S85D Member

If you read the information on fully autonomous AP 2.0 software, Tesla says that the car can be sent by itself to a Service Center, or can be used as a driverless taxi. The software will eventually not require the driver to hold the steering wheel or even be in the car.

3. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

So then why even bother with a steering wheel yet alone a "heated' steering wheel then? LOL!
    AP2 LOL!

4. S85D

S85D Member

In the U.S., Google tried to remove the steering wheel in their driverless car, and the U.S. government agency that regulates automobiles, said that the Google car had to have a steering wheel. Right now all cars in the U.S. have to have steering wheels.

upload_2017-1-23_23-53-41.png

Not all Tesla owners will upgrade to the fully autonomous feature so a heated steering wheel is a good option to have in the Northern states and in Canada.

My S90D was delivered on December 27th with the sub-zero package and with the AP 2.0 option. Since the fully autonomous software will not be available for months, it is hard to drive the car without a steering wheel.

I am sure that you comment was send in jest. LOL back at you :)

5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

You can duct tape a water bottle slightly to one side of the steering wheel and that will exert enough micro torque. And given the nonlinear dynamics of water sloshing around in a bottle, it will not be easily detected as a deadweight either.

Of course, this is not recommended. Whether or not you like the steering wheel torque sensing approach, ensuring the driver at the wheel is responsive and not incapacitated. It's too bad the car doesn't have a more foolproof way of doing so, but that's not a good excuse for defeating the one and only pulse check this car has....

6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

For an AP 2.0 car it's going to be removed, but it should be interesting to see if they'll do that with EAP. One of the things EAP is supposed to be able to do is to change lanes automatically. Is it still going to require the user to hold the steering wheel while it does that? They'll definitely remove it for those with the FSD package.

Anyways with an AP 1.0 car I imagine you have to ways of removing it.

The first way is attaching weight to it to produce some torque

The second way insert something between the computer and the steering wheel torque. Where it tricks the computer into thinking someone is holding the steering wheel. I'm really surprised no one has done this yet so maybe I'm underestimating the complexity.

7. Shorty

Shorty Member

My 2005 Maserati still has a nag warning whenever you activate the display. I wouldn't count on Tesla's going away any time soon!

8. green1

green1 Active Member

Every release since 7.0 has ADDED restrictions, none have removed them.

None of the AP1 promises have been fulfilled more than 2 years later.

I HIGHLY doubt that AP2 will be driving around nag free any time soon.