Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had a SR+ for 7 days, returned it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you made the right choice, that’s not an acceptable amount of bugs to deal with on a new car.

It actually becomes a safety issue.

I mean, what do you say to the police person who pulls you over for speeding? “Hang on, my screen is rebooting”

I’m glad you’re still positive on Tesla, is been one of the best cars I’ve owned (if not the best) and I’ve owned, been in, and around a lot of interesting cars.

Keep us up to date on what you do next!

Wow I'm really surprised they couldn't just replace the screen for you. Did you mention if they didn't replace it you would return the car? I would think that would spring them into action as replacing a screen would be a lot less time & money consuming for all parties.

When I picked up my Model 3 the charge port would not close properly, so they pulled it directly into service and replaced it within 45 minutes.

Later I had an issue with a side repeater camera not working correctly. Mobile service came out a week later and replaced it.

Hope you're next 3 is perfect.

Yup, I had a SR+ for 7 days, and just returned it. Ok here’s the story (signed up just to post this):

I really like the M3, If it wasn’t for the screen blanking out often, I would still have that M3. Instead I’m going to order another one after I confirm the refund is processed. Maybe I won’t get M3 #2 for a week or so, maybe a month max? I believe in Tesla and its products. I’m willing to give it another shot. Still own TSLA stock. I think I had a M3 SR+ with a defective screen and/or hardware. Suspect video driver.

Anyone else have this screen blanking/very dim issue on M3 requiring rebooting? Multiple times a day?

Based on photo you shared, it seems more than likely a connector issue. So it is a hardware issue. Many times they claim it is software issue so that they do not have to deal with troubleshooting intermittent problems. It is very tough to troubleshoot intermittent problems. Adding to that, there are many cases of Screen going blank on good hardware. (or Screen rebooting by itself). I had similar issue couple of times, and recently screen showing like those analog TV when signal is weak, wavy picture. After reboot I have not seen it, so hoping it is software/video driver issue.

But wish, they could have replaced the head unit with new one when you have reported 2nd time. May be they would have done that if you gave them for repair. Nevertheless it was not properly handled by Tesla.

Hope, you will pick another one without any issues.

Haha just woke up and read all the supportive and funny replies! Thanks guys. I do have another car, so I won’t be Ubering for 2 months. Nobody NEEDS a Tesla M3, it’s just a really nice tech car. I commute 2 hours a day in LA terrible traffic so having a M3 with AP does decrease my stress level. When I do drive the M3, it’s as quick as my corvette or Porsche and mine was a SR+! Test drove the 3DP and yeah that was insane, a good bargain at $70K for that kind of performance. I imagine 3DP would be hella fun on the track. Waiting for model 3 driving school?! Is there one?

I think I read Elon tweeting SR+ with AP is the best choice for most people, and I tend to agree, depending on ones commute. Reading the forums, I’m considering ordering M3 #2 as a SR with AP. I was quoted 3k more for AP by Robert, so $38K. I curious on the performance difference, if I’ll notice. If I don’t like it and SR+ gets new features that I want, I’ll upgrade for $1.5k.

I think I read Elon tweeting SR+ with AP is the best choice for most people, and I tend to agree, depending on ones commute.

Threads like this are why I am enjoying my time here. I appreciate you posting this follow up. I was in the market for a LR but the more I research and read up on it, I’m thinking SR+. I too agree that is the best choice for most people. Good luck on your second car... hope it’s all without issue!

I have a P3D delivered on 12/5/18, update 8.3 and this blank screen happened to me for the first time today. Tried multiple times holding down the scroll wheels and the screen would not come back on. Was about to call Tesla and decided to place the key card on the B-Pillar and when it Locked and then Unlocked, the screen came back on......

My screen has gone blank a few times, but only recently (have had it for 8mo). If it had done that when I bought it I think I would have returened it too. Hopefully they get you your check quickly and you can try again.

I gave a test drive to a coworker the other day on 8.5 and when he got in I got to show him how to reboot bc the screen was going wild. This was his first time ever in a Tesla, fortunately we work in software and understand this is part of the bleeding edge. I promise you that I’ve never had this issue prior to 8.5 and I’ve had my 3 since Sept 1, 2018.

This is one of my biggest fears. Coming up on day 7 and already had 3 reboots. This seems to be too much. I might have to return mine too. This is a car, not a 50 dollar Chinese phone. My screen shouldn't be rebooting while driving .my brothers car picked up on same day as me has had no reboots per him and he's driven more miles :/

They really should stop selling defective ones.

Reactions: kavyboy
I’ve had my car since September and i’ve had three reboots on 8.5. The other versions I’ve had maybe 2 over 7 months. I’ve had 8.5 for about a month. So 8.5 has issues.

There is a 2019.12.1.1 that may be better, I’ve been waiting for a 12 version update and you may want to ask for it as a last resort. There is also a 8.6 and 8.6.1, 8.6.2 and 8.6.3 so something is up.

Will go in to store to return the car tomorrow. Had two reboots today during a 1 hour drive. Could not use Autopilot The scary part is the screen rebooted while on autopilot. it did make the sound to let me know autopilot disengaged and I saw the screen turn off in my peripheral vision. This is highly dangerous and not what a car should be doing. Really disappointed in my tesla experience. I've been reading these forums since December in anticipation for when I was going order my tesla. I first new car purchase, last one was a honda civic that I bought 1 year used - has had no problems so far, no dealerships visits, nothing - of course except for oil changes which is fine because I get a free car wash and wiper fluid top off for the trouble.

In any case, will see if they want to update me to a different firmware and see if that makes a difference - will only accept that solution if they given me a written promise of an extended return period.

The car is amazing. But my fiance refuses to drive it because she doesn't drive much to begin with and does not want the screen to turn off while driving. She has too much anxiety from driving at baseline from a recent pretty horrific accident.

This is so sad. I was excited to be able to afford and then own a tesla at such a price point. Of course, as usual there's a catch lol. Oh well, thankfully we didn't trade anything in and we don't need a second car till 3 weeks from now when I finally start my new job. Currently, intentionally jobless so have the extra time to mess around with this tesla shenanigans. My brother bought an exact car the same day as me and has had zero reboots so probably don't think this is a software issue.

I really hope I get to keep the car. I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it, I just want it fixed so that I can go on a road trip.

Okay, end rant.

• Helpful
Reactions: alloverx
Anyone else have this screen blanking/very dim issue on M3 requiring rebooting? Multiple times a day?
Yes. Screen rebooted within 30 miles of SC on first drive in December, 2018. Continued to occur daily through two updates. Towards the end it rebooted multiple times per drive. There's a TMC post out there somewhere with the details. SC took car for a few days, replaced MCU, and now it's normal: not rebooting while driving.

I really hope I get to keep the car. I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it, I just want it fixed so that I can go on a road trip.

Okay, end rant.
Highly recommend you keep then hand over log. That helped me get a new MCU Screen Constantly Rebooting

FYI: when the screen reboots, the driving computer remains. Autopilot will still function. Car will drive. Blinkers work (though without audible indicator). Et cetera. The reboot occurs with the infotainment computer powering the display. It's jarring, yes; but having experienced it multiple times on a drive and knowing what is really happening, it wasn't a safety issue to me. YMMV.

Reactions: SoManyM3s
Highly recommend you keep then hand over log. That helped me get a new MCU Screen Constantly Rebooting

FYI: when the screen reboots, the driving computer remains. Autopilot will still function. Car will drive. Blinkers work (though without audible indicator). Et cetera. The reboot occurs with the infotainment computer powering the display. It's jarring, yes; but having experienced it multiple times on a drive and knowing what is really happening, it wasn't a safety issue to me. YMMV.
Thanks, I'll try and convince them to replace MCU instead of me returning the car. the service center techs are idiots, been there twice already and they keep saying software - we re-installed and should be gone now... both times, i noticed it come back within 24 hours. Tomorrow my 7 days are up so will take it down and see what they can do for me.