Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my car for 8 months, thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted as I’ve been busy with kids, work, life and you know ... being busy driving the car :)

Apart from the initial defects that I noticed that they (mostly) addressed and a few other issues, it has been great so far. After picking up my vehicle, two issues popped up since:

1) 3rd row seat “snapped” shut/flat and wouldn’t open. SC was able to resolve this by reconnecting the wire harness.
2) Car died on me while I was cleaning it in stop and go traffic. Never happened again, but it seems like you cannot apply pressure to the steering column while the car is not in park, as it might cause the car to throw a bunch of faults and require a hard reset.

Apart from that, I haven’t had any issues. The car has plenty of small defects, but I mostly ignore them at this point. Not everything sits flush, there is the occasional weird sound or computer hiccup that requires a steering wheel reset, but there is nothing that is terribly wrong with the car.

I have been maintaining my car with a few products with washes in the garage between once and twice a month. The full body PPF and ceramic coat seem to be doing its job. Lots of small “bubbles” from rock chips, one small nick in the windshield (out of my direct sight), but it’s holding up pretty well.

All-weather mats have been amazing. I love them a lot! Aluminum pedals are so much better than the rubber ones! I keep them clean with interior detail spray especially in the summer as I like to drive barefoot if I’m wearing slippers :D

All that’s left is to get new black wheels once my tires need replacing.

I have to say, it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. 8 straight months of driving it, and it still puts a smile on my face every time I punch it or heck, even when I just use autopilot to cruise down the road. My kids still love it (4 and 6 now). I’ve done one trip with it where I had to use the supercharger and it was a very pleasant experience.

Included a few pics of my wash this afternoon to show how well it’s been holding up.

Cheers to all! Sorry I’ve been busy and hiding :)

6EB7BB03-2F6F-4C08-A1A2-FCF3F0AB572E.jpeg
49E5FEB5-A4D5-4FDD-B7FD-66B5C040CA7D.jpeg
C0A0D509-FCD7-4970-A8CE-4A63EA5C9EBE.jpeg
CE873AB5-FB1F-48A9-AFDB-0B29E271A03E.jpeg
51338A67-7209-4B61-8593-2612F2B23BC5.jpeg
15839C6F-E6B4-46F9-A5DF-37D2E0E4E7D0.jpeg
5E8DEE5B-A9BE-46FF-866A-8C331E16B56E.jpeg

Great looking X.

If you are sitting in your car while stopped, and lift your butt off the seat, the car will go into park. Perhaps that is what happened when you were cleaning your car. Happens sometimes when people are taking it through a drive through car wash. They lift off the seat to reach for something or turn to look out the back and the car shifts to park. Gotta keep your butt in the seat.

Great looking X.

If you are sitting in your car while stopped, and lift your butt off the seat, the car will go into park. Perhaps that is what happened when you were cleaning your car. Happens sometimes when people are taking it through a drive through car wash. They lift off the seat to reach for something or turn to look out the back and the car shifts to park. Gotta keep your butt in the seat.

Actually it wasn't that. It literally threw faults and I get steering assist errors, brake errors, etc. It has something to do with some kind of loose connection that can be in the X (the SC tech said there multiple reports of this same type of issue).

I posted more in this thread about the details, 2017 MX Shuts Down dangerously on Expressway–I'm losing faith in Tesla and my car

Last edited:
In one of the pics of your MX in your garage, your FWDs are fully open, despite the low-ish ceiling height (and garage door opener). Do the doors naturally open to that position, or did you have to perform an override? I ask because my garage looks identical to yours (rolling door with low ceiling and opener that people say might confuse MX sensors). My MX is on order and expected to arrive toward the end of the month. Want to know what challenges I'll be in for -- with regard to the FWDs opening in my garage.

If you know they have clearance you can set them to always open to full height at that location based on GPS.

My garage is lower than the one in the photo and without override the doors open 50-75%. But they open fully now without issue once I approved the override.

In one of the pics of your MX in your garage, your FWDs are fully open, despite the low-ish ceiling height (and garage door opener). Do the doors naturally open to that position, or did you have to perform an override? I ask because my garage looks identical to yours (rolling door with low ceiling and opener that people say might confuse MX sensors). My MX is on order and expected to arrive toward the end of the month. Want to know what challenges I'll be in for -- with regard to the FWDs opening in my garage.
Congrats on your order! Yes, I had set my doors to always open fully in this location.

There is a difference, btw on the override behavior. If you set the car to always override at a given location, it will still stop when the sensors detect something withing proximity without first bumping into it. However, if you tell the car to manually override (open full) from the console or the control inside the car, it will keep going until it touches something before stopping. At least this is what I've come to understand by talking to my OA. We tested it out in my parking garage at work, and it opened all the way, with less than half an inch of clearance left. So I think this is accurate.

Just be careful that you know it's going to clear before opening fully. However, once you are confident, you can set the car to always open fully at a given location.

Reactions: BryWay
Happy to hear you're enjoying your X! I have not come on here as often the past months for the same reasons as you (life just getting in the way) but I do remember your screen name from when I first got my X back in June. Had the same exact problem as you with the steering column errors. I was at a stop light dusting the steering column and all the errors came up along with a big traffic jam behind me. The service center replaced my entire steering column. The X powered off randomly on the road 2 more times but after leaving the car at the service center for a few weeks they could only tell me that there must have been gremlins in the car as they were no longer able to repeat the random powering off. I think i do have this acceleration shudder issue now along with the yellow borders around the center screen....shudder goes away driving on low suspension and i'm waiting for a real fix for the yellowing (new screens w/ different glue i think?).

Nice post. Great looking car. I have the same interior combination with pearl white exterior and love it.

My only negative is you need more crap in your garage! You are making the rest of us look bad.
:D:D:D

You know, if I could do it all over again, I would get the pearl white exterior w/ my interior combo, so you have the perfect combination! I love blue, but if I neglect washing it, it looks pretty bad :p

Pearl white was #2 for me, and there were so many of them around town that I opted to get blue. Well nowadays, there's more blue than white around town ... so there goes the uniqueness :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

You know, if I could do it all over again, I would get the pearl white exterior w/ my interior combo, so you have the perfect combination! I love blue, but if I neglect washing it, it looks pretty bad :p

Pearl white was #2 for me, and there were so many of them around town that I opted to get blue. Well nowadays, there's more blue than white around town ... so there goes the uniqueness :rolleyes:

Yep white is real common. As I have posted before, if they every say over the PA at my local grocery store: " Will the owner of the White Telsa Model X come to the front!". They are going have at least 3 or 4 people running up front.

if I had to do it again, I think I would get the dark grey with black wheels. So slick looking.