Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my Y for three months, five weeks in service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my Y since end of March, unfortunately it had same fault about restrain system error, has been serviced four times, at this point it still sitting in service centre waiting for parts, ETA is end of the week, was told parts might be on B/O.
First time mobile service, fixed and only good for one day;
2nd time in service centre for two weeks, changed knee airbag, took it back and error message pop up after two weeks;
3rd time was in for three days, change the control module, good for one month;
4th time they try to eliminate the problem, going to change the wiring harness, and maybe knee airbag (again), three weeks and counting. Not sure if they can actually fix it, already lost my confidence and patience.

I asked Tesla to replace my Y, and was refused firmly. The problem is their service team can't address the problem but trying to replace all the parts related. What if I need 5th service for this issue? Do I have rights to use lemon law to get replacement? Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Had my Y from end of March, unfortunately it had same fault about restrain system error, has been service four times, at this point it still sitting in service centre waiting for parts, ETA is end of the week, was told parts might be on B/O.
2nd time in service centre for two weeks, changed knee airbag, took it back and error message pop up after two weeks;
4th time they try to eliminate the problem, going to change the wiring harness, and maybe knee airbag too, three weeks and counting. Not sure if they can actually fix it, already lost my confidence and patience.

I asked Tesla to replace my Y, and was refused firmly. The problem is their service team can't address the problem but trying to replace all the parts related. What if I need 5th service for this issue? Do I have rights to use lemon law to get replacement? Thanks for your advice.
That sucks. I would look into the lemon law. I believe it’s 3 strikes. You have 4.

Had my Y from end of March, unfortunately it had same fault about restrain system error, has been service four times, at this point it still sitting in service centre waiting for parts, ETA is end of the week, was told parts might be on B/O.
4th time they try to eliminate the problem, going to change the wiring harness, and maybe knee airbag too, three weeks and counting. Not sure if they can actually fix it, already lost my confidence and patience.

Just got mine five days ago and need to schedule a service appointment as the rear door hinge needs to be addressed. Disappointing to have an issue so early. :(

Lemon law after 3 in California....Not sure about Canadian law.

Had my Y since end of March, unfortunately it had same fault about restrain system error, has been serviced four times, at this point it still sitting in service centre waiting for parts, ETA is end of the week, was told parts might be on B/O.
4th time they try to eliminate the problem, going to change the wiring harness, and maybe knee airbag (again), three weeks and counting. Not sure if they can actually fix it, already lost my confidence and patience.

Hope you opted out of the arbitration clause at the time of purchase.
Lemon law depends on the state you live in. Need more info.

Reactions: 2101Guy

I'm sorry to hear your nightmare... I hope everything turns good for you soon...

Did they provide you with a vehicle while yours is in service???

Reactions: hcdavis3
I've been able to successfully lemon law 2 non-Tesla vehicles (German and Japanese manufacture) in the US. The states where I have lived have a "3 visits" rule for the same issue, or more than 30 days in service for the same issue (non-consecutive), during the first year of ownership. In on case, the dealer simply swapped my car with a new one of the same model, and the other case, they wrote me a check.

Reactions: hcdavis3
My buddy is a LL attorney here in CA and he said that you should opt out of any arbitration as Tesla really wants you to do that. He sees many Tesla through his firm. I still believe in the product and just want one without issues! =). I am still waiting for mine, but is there a section on the purchase agreement where we can opt out? He did mentioned that we may need to send a letter to Tesla after the fact.

My buddy is a LL attorney here in CA and he said that you should opt out of any arbitration as Tesla really wants you to do that. He sees many Tesla through his firm. I still believe in the product and just want one without issues! =). I am still waiting for mine, but is there a section on the purchase agreement where we can opt out? He did mentioned that we may need to send a letter to Tesla after the fact.
YMMV on opting out. Some states have laws that always allow you to opt out, some don't allow binding arbitration agreements at all, some say nothing about it which essentially means you can't opt out if Tesla doesn't let you. If your buddy didn't tell you for free how to opt out then hire him and have him help you. (Never expect free legal help from a buddy. Always offer to pay for it.)

Also different countries have different laws as well. OP is in Canada so no US/State laws apply to their situation.

YMMV on opting out. Some states have laws that always allow you to opt out, some don't allow binding arbitration agreements at all, some say nothing about it which essentially means you can't opt out if Tesla doesn't let you. If your buddy didn't tell you for free how to opt out then hire him and have him help you. (Never expect free legal help from a buddy. Always offer to pay for it.)

Also different countries have different laws as well. OP is in Canada so no US/State laws apply to their situation.
Thanks for the info! Oh, I'm not expecting to do a lemon law case as I don't even have the car yet. Was just curious on the process to opt out. Just founds out that you have 30 days to write a letter opting out after signing the purchase contract.