Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hairline Crack - Bottom Front Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model 3 for about 1 month now and put almost 700 miles on it. I just noticed this small hairline crack on the bottom portion of the front windshield on the passenger side. I do not recall anything hitting the windshield while driving and I am not sure if this slowly developed or if I took delivery like this.

Any opinions on how this could have happened? Stress crack maybe? I have submitted a question to Tesla service explaining the issue and waiting to hear back. Anyone have a similar crack develop in this location and if so was it covered under warranty? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20181019_123249.jpg
    IMG_20181019_123249.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 165
Run a ball point pen along the crack. If the pen stops, thats your impact point. If it doesn't stop, you could be good for warranty replacement.
That's a really great idea. I never thought of that. Usually a tiny cloudy hit mark can be seen. Although I presume that a crack can go out at a curve like that, I am guessing this is a surface scratch by the appearance, curvature, and lack of a hit mark (at least from your photo). A crack is more likely to span outward in a star like pattern with multiple spider like legs. Thus, probably a scratch. Just drive by a windshield repair place and have them look at it for free.

Oh and after having the car for a month, you might have to haggle with Tesla as they may think it happened after delivery since you didn't notice it at that time

I have had my Model 3 for about 1 month now and put almost 700 miles on it. I just noticed this small hairline crack on the bottom portion of the front windshield on the passenger side. I do not recall anything hitting the windshield while driving and I am not sure if this slowly developed or if I took delivery like this.

Any opinions on how this could have happened? Stress crack maybe? I have submitted a question to Tesla service explaining the issue and waiting to hear back. Anyone have a similar crack develop in this location and if so was it covered under warranty? Thanks!

That looks similar to my windshield. I didn’t notice it until after I picked it up from service the other week. Difficult to see unless you’re looking at it straight on or at a certain angle. There were also other scratches near it that are harder to see. Mine is a deep scratch. Is yours cracked or just a very deep scratch?

131617B4-0E51-49F2-B9C0-6690D9471A74.jpeg

I have a similar scratch on the path where the wipers come up. Mine is on the driver's side.

I've had them try to buff it out, but I can still see the scratch. It's small so I guess I'm not that concerned. If it becomes worse for any reason then maybe I'll have them replace it. I'd hope they'd do it under warranty since it's a documented issue with my car.