TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hairline Crack - Bottom Front Windshield

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jrc0yne, Oct 21, 2018.

1. jrc0yne

jrc0yne Member

I have had my Model 3 for about 1 month now and put almost 700 miles on it. I just noticed this small hairline crack on the bottom portion of the front windshield on the passenger side. I do not recall anything hitting the windshield while driving and I am not sure if this slowly developed or if I took delivery like this.

Any opinions on how this could have happened? Stress crack maybe? I have submitted a question to Tesla service explaining the issue and waiting to hear back. Anyone have a similar crack develop in this location and if so was it covered under warranty? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Run a ball point pen along the crack. If the pen stops, thats your impact point. If it doesn't stop, you could be good for warranty replacement.

• Like x 1
  3. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

That's a really great idea. I never thought of that. Usually a tiny cloudy hit mark can be seen. Although I presume that a crack can go out at a curve like that, I am guessing this is a surface scratch by the appearance, curvature, and lack of a hit mark (at least from your photo). A crack is more likely to span outward in a star like pattern with multiple spider like legs. Thus, probably a scratch. Just drive by a windshield repair place and have them look at it for free.

Oh and after having the car for a month, you might have to haggle with Tesla as they may think it happened after delivery since you didn't notice it at that time

4. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

That looks similar to my windshield. I didn’t notice it until after I picked it up from service the other week. Difficult to see unless you’re looking at it straight on or at a certain angle. There were also other scratches near it that are harder to see. Mine is a deep scratch. Is yours cracked or just a very deep scratch?

131617B4-0E51-49F2-B9C0-6690D9471A74.jpeg

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I have a similar scratch on the path where the wipers come up. Mine is on the driver's side.

I've had them try to buff it out, but I can still see the scratch. It's small so I guess I'm not that concerned. If it becomes worse for any reason then maybe I'll have them replace it. I'd hope they'd do it under warranty since it's a documented issue with my car.