Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hakkapeliitta R3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As fall approaches I need to turn my attention to the type of tire I need for my M3 RWD this winter.
From what I have read the Hakka R3 are the bomb for snow covered roads. Though in my part of Canada we rarely get continuous snow cover we do get our share of snow at times & I do drive to our local ski resort.
How do the Hakka's hold up on dry pavement?
Do you notice excessive tread wear? Would something like the Sotto's hold up better on dry winter roads?
Being T rated do you notice more body roll?
Do you notice a lot of extra road noise?

As fall approaches I need to turn my attention to the type of tire I need for my M3 RWD this winter.
From what I have read the Hakka R3 are the bomb for snow covered roads. Though in my part of Canada we rarely get continuous snow cover we do get our share of snow at times & I do drive to our local ski resort.
How do the Hakka's hold up on dry pavement?
Do you notice excessive tread wear? Would something like the Sotto's hold up better on dry winter roads?
Being T rated do you notice more body roll?
Do you notice a lot of extra road noise?

I had the Hakka r3 on my LR RWD last winter. They are an amazing tire and I highly recommend.

Where I’m at we have dry pavement most of the time and then a few days here and there with snow/ice covered roads. They are hands down the best snow tire I’ve had. Our Outback has Michelin x ice snow tires and on a day the Outback got stuck in the driveway the Model 3 was able to drive right up. (I think power had something to do with it as well)

I had the Hakka r3 on my LR RWD last winter. They are an amazing tire and I highly recommend.

Where I’m at we have dry pavement most of the time and then a few days here and there with snow/ice covered roads. They are hands down the best snow tire I’ve had. Our Outback has Michelin x ice snow tires and on a day the Outback got stuck in the driveway the Model 3 was able to drive right up. (I think power had something to do with it as well)
Awesome thanks for the reply!

I am using the R3 on my 3P, I am using non OEM winter wheels.
For winter I use TSW Nurburgring 19" with 235/40-19 Nokian R3.

You can see the picture here: Olav Alexander Mjelde on Instagram: “#nokiantyres on #tswnurburgring #tesla #teslamodel3 #model3performance”

I did a scale comparison of the weight difference and I saved 3,74 kg per corner VS summer 20" OEM perf rims.
Of course you can say that its not fair to compare 20" vs 19" and the OEM 20" are a bit wider rims.

But when I ordered the car, there wasent any good winter tires for the 20", so I had to go for aftermarket option.
Before my car arrived Tesla called and said they got Nokian to make the R3 in that dimmension, but then I already had TSW in my garage.

It should be noted that with 20" TSW and Nurburgring I have calculated the theoretical savings to be 2 Kg per corner, which is also a lot of rotational mass. I also find the TSW Nurburgring in dark color to look much better on the white 3P than the silver OEM wheels.

I live in the west coast of Norway, we dont always have snow/ice, but sometimes you have some ice going out of a tunnel etc.. Or sometimes you might take a drive and then suddenly the weather is bad :)

If I didnt go for R3 I would look CVC7, CVC6, X-ICE 3. But R3 will give best grip, CVC7 maybe best performance on dry roads and X-ICE3 I think lasts longest and maybe best for not aqua planing. But the R3 is an overall good tire, it will though with better grip have some more noise than the CVC7 and X-ICE3, but less than summer wheels. (maybe a bit deeper tone to the noise though, because of the rubber and thread pattern).

I’ve driven MS RWD with Nokian R3 in extremely slippery weather, and I was surprised on how well they performed. They are also some of the softest and quietest winter tyres, maybe more silent than my Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2, which are also good tires. Both of these have done well also in 3rd party tests, being a winner or 2nd every time. I wanted Nokian tires, but the GY had much more competitive price here.

I chose non-studded tires as well because most of the winter season is driven on asphalt without snow. Downside of non-studded tires is that they don’t grip well on wet asphalt and are too soft for any kind of performance driving.

Nokian Tyres company and their employees are active in local Tesla club, so no wonder they ensured this tire is available in Tesla sizes. Tesla uses Nokian as OEM winter tire packages here.

I’ve driven MS RWD with Nokian R3 in extremely slippery weather, and I was surprised on how well they performed. They are also some of the softest and quietest winter tyres, maybe more silent than my Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2, which are also good tires. Both of these have done well also in 3rd party tests, being a winner or 2nd every time. I wanted Nokian tires, but the GY had much more competitive price here.

I chose non-studded tires as well because most of the winter season is driven on asphalt without snow. Downside of non-studded tires is that they don’t grip well on wet asphalt and are too soft for any kind of performance driving.

Nokian Tyres company and their employees are active in local Tesla club, so no wonder they ensured this tire is available in Tesla sizes. Tesla uses Nokian as OEM winter tire packages here.
Not in North America the winter pkg here is offered with Sottozero 2 or 3's.
Had the Sotto 3's on my BMW X5 great tires except in deeper snow, remember being bummed out as my progress was halted by snow and a Toyota RAV 4 calmly drove by me.

Any winter tire will wear quickly on dry roads. The Hakka R2’s and Sotto 3’s I had on my previous Model S wore down similarly.

Maybe try Nokian’s all weather WRG4 or WRG3. Still really good snow traction but excellent wet/dry weather performance as well without the squishy road feel and less noise.

If you are worried about icy conditions in the Okanagan (I lived a couple of years in Vernon) get studded tires like the Hakka 9’s.

Visit Kal Tire or OK Tire to see what they have available and if there are any sales or rebates offered. Just make sure the shop knows how to lift the car properly and ask if they’re familiar with Teslas.

Reactions: RayCanuck
It’s not the dry asphalt, but the temperature. Around +10C (50 fahrenheit) they start to really melt. Age is worse for rubber which is designed to grip by friction than miles. All weather tires can take heat, but they just don’t perform when going gets tough, it’s a bit of worst of both worlds like plugin hybrid cars. Generally they are not even for sale in Nordics.

Any winter tire will wear quickly on dry roads. The Hakka R2’s and Sotto 3’s I had on my previous Model S wore down similarly.

Maybe try Nokian’s all weather WRG4 or WRG3. Still really good snow traction but excellent wet/dry weather performance as well without the squishy road feel and less noise.

If you are worried about icy conditions in the Okanagan (I lived a couple of years in Vernon) get studded tires like the Hakka 9’s.

Visit Kal Tire or OK Tire to see what they have available and if there are any sales or rebates offered. Just make sure the shop knows how to lift the car properly and ask if they’re familiar with Teslas.

That's not really true. Winter tires wont wear quickly because the roads are dry. They wear quickly because of temperature. Above 7 deg C and they'll wear more rapidly.

I have learned that the rear of Tesla's has a toe angle which is what is wearing tires more rapidly, this is exacerbated on the softer compound and tread design of winter tires. If you want to stop the excessive tire wear, get a wheel alignment.