Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Half shaft Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may be correct I was the guy that got the motor replacement. Was in the shop for 70 days Then another 70 days for high voltage battery replacement. I put 5000 miles on the car and it seems to drive better than it did when it was new. If it’s an issue on the motor causing the problem Tesla has a lot more liability
Im curious in how much gear lash play you have in that new front drive unit ..I have a a lot of back and forth play in the front left axle ..2020 MX LR.. or maybe when they put your front motor in they got the clevis front motor mount lined up correctly..it says in the buelltin that the washer could be in the wrong position..i noticed that mine is not lined up correctly

Last edited:
2020 MX Performance. I had to wait about a year, from Sep 2021 to Sep 2022 for new halfshafts due to back order. They told me to lower the suspension, too. Well, my front tires wore out super fast & of course you know, they’re not cheap. Got new tires and raised the suspension back to normal. Tires wearing nicely. Will let them continue to replace halfshafts for free under warranty rather than me shelling out for new tires. I’m now at 36.5k miles and feeling the vibration again.
Question: halfshafts come under basic vehicle or drive unit warranty?

I have a 2020 long range x and I put the axl in myself. Because the first one failed that tesla put in with only 1500 miles .. I haven’t had any vibration for 17,000 and counting ,,and I force the car to be on std ride height to protect my tires I did the ride height to the factory spec it was way off and moved the washer past the Clevis pin .. you have to remove the axl to see if the mount is correctly placed ….roll the dice and hopefully someone at tesla actually reads the service buelltin. Tesla just added ride height calibration to toolbox 3 menu and it’s states you must not be in the car when doing calibration ..they said it 3 times ..that should tell you that rhe ride height is very important to be correct

Reactions: EbS-P
I just got a delivery of MXP. That is a thing that I will keep my eye on.
Please correct me if I misunderstood what is going on:
  • By default, the suspension is biased to a "low" setting
  • It introduces positive camber and wears tires within 10k miles. Sometimes 5-6k miles
  • Changing the suspension set to normal resolves the camber issue, but...
  • It will damage the shafts, which will cause the shudder under hard acceleration.
Is that an accurate understanding?
Also, how bad is the shudder? Is that barely noticeable, very noticeable, or "why won't you fix this thing" bad? When the shaft is damaged, why Tesla states it's safe to drive, and it's a normal operation mode? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

• It introduces positive camber and wears tires within 10k miles. Sometimes 5-6k miles
  • It will damage the shafts, which will cause the shudder under hard acceleration.
Also, how bad is the shudder? Is that barely noticeable, very noticeable, or "why won't you fix this thing" bad? When the shaft is damaged, why Tesla states it's safe to drive, and it's a normal operation mode? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
It just depends. Do you feel lucky? I drive on low all the time and have not noticed anything yet. At around 9,000 miles, I have no unusual tire wear. Just occasionally check the tires. Some folks have had this problem, but it is far less than everybody. The shudder (if you have it) is noticeable under very hard acceleration.

I have the model X 2022 refresh and for the second time this year I’m having a half shaft issue. I actually hear the noises at low speeds not high speeds. I must be honest it’s a bit frustrating having spent so much on the car and having it Have been in the shop for probably two months of the past year and a half that I’ve owned it. I’ve not only had issue with the half shifts, but also with the oil pumps. I’ve had to have two replaced, and waiting for the parts was a nightmare.

Not very noticable to me n not that big of a deal in my opinion.
I drive 90% without hard accelerations so I just live with shudder.
Also, I actually don't feel it at wot but only on medium acceleration or uphill...

See comment from another lniked thread below, it explains that Plaid should only suffer from shudder related wear if accelerated while cornering:

supermac:
shudder is from Cv joint issues. A separate issue from camber. Rears do not have a problem. It’s the fronts that do. What’s different? The front tires steer. Going easy on the throttle until the wheel is straight has more to do with premature wear than anything. Height only plays a small part. Lowered cars still have joint issues. The palladium did eliminate the jack shaft and both cv joints are internal spline. The first gen design is rather poor as the external spline is not as well supported and prone to winding up under high load and vibrating. The new palladium setup is superior but still prone to steering related wear.

Wonder why Tesla doesn't make a software fix that reduces front wheel torque when cornering in such a way that this issue is eliminated, or is there more to the story?

I can’t speak to the refreshed Model X but for my 2017 the N2itive purchase was the BEST decision I made. I’ve had the half shafts replaced, had the service bulletin done…nothing made a difference like the alignment kit. The X drives like new and has for several months now.

Reactions: hydro
I can’t speak to the refreshed Model X but for my 2017 the N2itive purchase was the BEST decision I made. I’ve had the half shafts replaced, had the service bulletin done…nothing made a difference like the alignment kit. The X drives like new and has for several months now.

Half shafts are front axle issue, did you have the N2tive installed to the front or it made a difference in other ways?

Of course I say all this and I’m very likely to swap the X I love for a Model Y. The FSD transfer for HW4 on a new Model Y is likely too good a deal to pass up. LOL
Here is cheap hack to keep the shudder at bay for a while. I ran it for about 9 months with lowered front. Now after new halfshafts I’m back to stock.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
It’s a rear camber kit with lowering links that allows you to run lowered suspension resulting in reduced front drive shaft angles while allowing proper rear camber alignment.

You said that like a politician ;) To reiterate, it does nothing to the front, but allows running rear low (which is good for the front, and ofcourse both lower at the same time with adaptive suspension (or your permanent setting)) without wearing out the rear ;)

Last edited:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to pull the trigger on the kit for my 2022, but I'm concerned whether this would impact the warranty. I'm especially concerned if there is eventually a half shaft issue, whether Tesla will deny the warranty due to the kit. Any insight?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to pull the trigger on the kit for my 2022, but I'm concerned whether this would impact the warranty. I'm especially concerned if there is eventually a half shaft issue, whether Tesla will deny the warranty due to the kit. Any insight?
I’m feeling the same way. As long as it’s under warranty I’m not inclined to replace major suspension parts. But I did lower just the front.