Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Half shaft Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Half shaft problems. does anyone know whether Tesla has found a fix for it? I have a 2020 model longe range and had it replaced at 16000km.It seems like it only happens when you drive it in standard mode and accelerate hard.Thanks for the feedback

Had a 2017 mocel for 1 year, had at least one replacement, THey replaced thre whole car, and my current 2018 has had 5 lots of replacements.
Its a complete joke and I would love to find out if there are grounds for us owners for some sort of action. It falls out of warranyt in 2 months so basically I have a car with a recurring fault that they clearly cant fix even in later models

Reactions: cwerdna and Dcam
Had a 2017 mocel for 1 year, had at least one replacement, THey replaced thre whole car, and my current 2018 has had 5 lots of replacements.
Its a complete joke and I would love to find out if there are grounds for us owners for some sort of action. It falls out of warranyt in 2 months so basically I have a car with a recurring fault that they clearly cant fix even in later models
Nope

You already have recourse since the 4th repair attempt failed.

Reactions: Dcam
Yes, you can diagnose the problem if you have a shudder during hard acceleration.

It’s describe in detail on this site, where you can purchase a permanent fix: Eliminate Inner Tire & Premature Half-Shaft Wear On Tesla X/S!

The Tesla “fix” is only temporary and it will not permanently resolve the issue.

I have not found anyone to confirm if the problem exists on the 2022 Model X Refresh, but I suspect it to be so since the fix would be a major design/engineering change.

Reactions: Dcam
Got my shafts replaced 3 months ago the driver side has already failed again...I think the front motor gear lash is causing these failures. If you notice on some prior posts the person who replaced the front motor has yet to have a problem again

Wow, three months. That's crazy! Guessing you are on the original DU? How many miles on the car? I had both half shafts replaced and have not had any shuddering return...yet.

does the 2022 model X refresh have a fix for half shaft problems?

The shaft part numbers are the same as Raven but it seems by large and far the refresh X is not experiencing the shudder on acceleration. There have been a few reports but I consider those inconclusive and they could easily be other issues including the grinding noise some here for the first few minutes of driving (myself included). It's likely since the suspension geometry on the refresh is radically different that the drive unit clevis mount allows the DU to be a bit lower reducing the angle.

Also, the software on the refresh reduces power unless your in low or very low.

I have an MXP and haven't experienced the shudder even once. That said I'm careful to not apply full power while turning and only when I'm in very low.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Got my shafts replaced 3 months ago the driver side has already failed again...I think the front motor gear lash is causing these failures. If you notice on some prior posts the person who replaced the front motor has yet to have a problem again
You may be correct I was the guy that got the motor replacement. Was in the shop for 70 days Then another 70 days for high voltage battery replacement. I put 5000 miles on the car and it seems to drive better than it did when it was new. If it’s an issue on the motor causing the problem Tesla has a lot more liability

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
You may be correct I was the guy that got the motor replacement. Was in the shop for 70 days Then another 70 days for high voltage battery replacement. I put 5000 miles on the car and it seems to drive better than it did when it was new. If it’s an issue on the motor causing the problem Tesla has a lot more liability
Was this on a Refresh X? 140 days in the shop?
How many have even had the Refresh X that long!? Sounds like a pre-refresh.