Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handheld Fire Extinguisher

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps Tesla should consider adding a fire suppression/extinction system based on a controlled delivery of a cooling gas e.g. nitrogen stored in volume-efficient liquid form in a cylinder in the car somewhere. In the event of pack penetration the gas could be directed to the relevant specific module(s) - hopefully no more than 2 unless it was such a bad prang that a battery fire isn't going to make any difference anyway. Thus the limited amount of energy in the damaged cells can dissipate as usual (i.e. get extremely hot) but the cooling effect of the gas would prevent impact damaged cells from setting undamaged cells alight and the runaway fire that ensues.

If it worked then it would end this "OMG! Another Tesla caught fire!" nonsense as there would be so little obvious drama that casual observers would just see a stationary Tesla and no fire. MW

Based on what? I've never had a fire extinguisher in any of my vehicles. I suspect I'm in the majority on this one. (Perhaps foolishly.)

Isn't that what Gizmotoy just said?

Carrying a fire extinguisher in your car is a good idea, regardless of your car's particular propensity to catch fire, since you might happen upon someone who needs a fire put out. You can get small extinguishers that fit under car seats Fire Gone 2NBFG2704 White/Red Fire Extinguisher - 16 oz., (Pack of 2) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Yes, I carry a small fire extinguisher. When the news of the first fire broke, a snarky colleague at work left a fire extinguisher on my desk anonymously. So, I thought, "Hey! Free fire extinguisher! " I kept it and put it in the trunk. Doubt I would have bought one on my own... but what the heck, it was free!
Hmm... if you ever have a reason to use it, you might find that it shoots confetti.