Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Audio Upgrade? (SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hansshow version B but there was lots of work to correct everything. You can read all my posts. I was the first to speak on the polarity, fade and purple wire for the subwoofer issue. My posts to correct these issues for version B and E, along with some others had Hansshow develop their installation pamphlet stealing our work and pictures from this thread to have customers fix their own harness instead of fixing it for the customers.

I can guarantee you the Tesla Offer harness dies not have polarity or balance issues.

Based on what I've been reading, it seems like it was a bad idea to install this harness then since it lowers the resistance of the speakers so much, and I doubt the amplifier is rated to run at 1.2 ohms as @todd2fst4u stated above. I am worried about long term damage to the amp now. That's too bad as I really like the sound quality. Unless anyone knows a way to add an amplifier to the install, I might have to remove it.

Based on what I've been reading, it seems like it was a bad idea to install this harness then since it lowers the resistance of the speakers so much, and I doubt the amplifier is rated to run at 1.2 ohms as @todd2fst4u stated above. I am worried about long term damage to the amp now. That's too bad as I really like the sound quality. Unless anyone knows a way to add an amplifier to the install, I might have to remove it.
Probably not a good idea to run the system at max volume for extended periods but moderate volume levels are probably fine. So far I haven't heard anyone reporting a blown amp (knock on wood). Guess people will have to decide if they prefer the sound of the untouched system and be able too crank volume to max OR have the extra speakers with moderate volume. I'm guessing the latter is better giving better staging and fuller sound.

• Helpful
Reactions: badiban
I use both suppliers. The difference is where you connect to the A-pillar speakers. Tesla Offer connects at the passenger B-pillar, Hansshow connects at the driver footwell.
Have you noticed any polarity/balance/fader issues with the TeslaOffer harness? Any sound quality differences if comparing strictly harnesses for speaker activation between the two companies?

Probably not a good idea to run the system at max volume for extended periods but moderate volume levels are probably fine. So far I haven't heard anyone reporting a blown amp (knock on wood). Guess people will have to decide if they prefer the sound of the untouched system and be able too crank volume to max OR have the extra speakers with moderate volume. I'm guessing the latter is better giving better staging and fuller sound.

I've noticed with this harness that I only need to run the volume at 60% to 70%. Previously I was putting it as high as 85% to 90%. If it's fine to run the speakers at a lower resistance than the amp as long as volume isn't high (I don't think 70% constitutes as "high"), then maybe I'll leave it plugged in...

Have you noticed any polarity/balance/fader issues with the TeslaOffer harness? Any sound quality differences if comparing strictly harnesses for speaker activation between the two companies?
Yes, both suppliers have shipped harnesses with reversed left and right channels for the rear speakers. I haven’t compared the sound quality personally because I don’t install them as-is. I just cut off their connectors to use on my own harness. They would sound the same as each other as they are both fundamentally the same.

You buy the modified harness from @todd2fst4u which has connectors to a 4 channel amp and a mono amp

They would sound the same as each other as they are both fundamentally the same.

That isn't exactly true. The hansshow diy harness has 4 high pass filters in their little box. I haven't verified this, but my guess is those filters are for the 4 additional front tweeters. Depending on the cutoff frequency they chose, it may limit frequencies sent to those tweeters that would otherwise be heard from the teslaoffer harness.

But it is also possible that the cutoff frequency is below the crossover in the ice and there is nothing to filter anyway. Anything is possible with hansshow.

That isn't exactly true. The hansshow diy harness has 4 high pass filters in their little box. I haven't verified this, but my guess is those filters are for the 4 additional front tweeters. Depending on the cutoff frequency they chose, it may limit frequencies sent to those tweeters that would otherwise be heard from the teslaoffer harness.

But it is also possible that the cutoff frequency is below the crossover in the ice and there is nothing to filter anyway. Anything is possible with hansshow.
If Hansshow had properly spec'd crossovers that were subject to good R&D and testing, then maybe it would be better. Problem is, it seems there has been a consistent significant myriad of problems with their audio products. Also, if the speaker tapped for the signal already has the lows cut-off at the ICE then adding a crossover might be redundant.

Tesla Offer includes the same filter.
901B0E88-BF1A-4056-8AF9-D02AC5CF8CB2.jpeg

Installed the DIY harness in a May 2019 build. Ordered a few weeks ago and received it very quickly. It was pretty easy to install. Sound is much fuller, and I did not notice a degradation in bass. Overall I am very happy with the sound.

My only concern is the health of the system longterm. Definitely do not want to overload base system/amp... How worried should I be about this?

Reactions: badiban
Installed the DIY harness in a May 2019 build. Ordered a few weeks ago and received it very quickly. It was pretty easy to install. Sound is much fuller, and I did not notice a degradation in bass. Overall I am very happy with the sound.

My only concern is the health of the system longterm. Definitely do not want to overload base system/amp... How worried should I be about this?
I find that when I set the volume around 30-40 percent the sound is plenty loud but that is just me. I wouldn’t think that would have any affect on the system long term. If you want volumes >50 percent they you might be asking for trouble.