Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Mini dash display 5.16"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the recharge green bar show properly? Did the latest update fix the blue for autopilot?
I've been testing updates for some weeks now and the latest 2303 is test best so far, but for my 2018 M3 that does not use the CAN interface, UI2 still does not do the FSD blue warning screen. The blue steering wheel works, though. UI1 seems to be working fine, but I don't care for UI1 as much... UI1 also has the blue road lines when FSD is activated.
Yes, the regen bar works on both UI's.
If you would like to see the unedited test video of the latest FW to help answer any other questions -

Reactions: flai54
I've been testing updates for some weeks now and the latest 2303 is test best so far, but for my 2018 M3 that does not use the CAN interface, UI2 still does not do the FSD blue warning screen. The blue steering wheel works, though. UI1 seems to be working fine, but I don't care for UI1 as much... UI1 also has the blue road lines when FSD is activated.
Yes, the regen bar works on both UI's.
If you would like to see the unedited test video of the latest FW to help answer any other questions -
Thank you for the in-depth testing for both UI1 and UI2. Glad to see the blue bar works on UI1. I think you should submit your video to Hansshow to see if they can provide another firmware update to show the blue bar for UI2. It doesn't make sense why the blue bar can only be displayed on UI1 and not on UI2. I wonder if its relying on the CAN interface with that and whether newer M3 and MY that use the CAN interface have the problem fixed for both UI1 and UI2.

Did the regen bar work before or both UI's or is that something new as well in this latest firmware? Personally I think I am most likely going to stick with UI1 since I like the autopilot lane lines but I do want to see both UI's work with the blue bar regardless of preference so that it suits everybody.

Last edited:
Can I ask one question - if anyone is aware of the answer please. This is for the older 2020 Model 3 with intel processor. The blue plug that is located under the air conditioning unit between the two seats (at the back of the car) - appears to be the same as the one that we need to connect the intel plug in the 5.12" display install. Are they the same? I only ask as Ive had my unit delivered and accessing the blue plug looks so easy between the seats - as Ive seen some youtubers struggling to access the one in the front with one person having to lie upside down.

Can I ask one question - if anyone is aware of the answer please. This is for the older 2020 Model 3 with intel processor. The blue plug that is located under the air conditioning unit between the two seats (at the back of the car) - appears to be the same as the one that we need to connect the intel plug in the 5.12" display install. Are they the same? I only ask as Ive had my unit delivered and accessing the blue plug looks so easy between the seats - as Ive seen some youtubers struggling to access the one in the front with one person having to lie upside down.
The harness that was provided was to make it compatible between the intel Atom and AMD Ryzen processor cars. I don't know if it was intended if you have an intel Atom chip to be using the blue CAN bus plug if you don't have the Ryzen processor. While the rear CAN bus can be attempted but I don't know if is compatible nor does it have the appropriate power plug ports. The question is does the intel power plugs reach to the front underneath the glovebox to access them? The CAN bus is only one part of the installation but you also need the power. Unless your plan is to just bypass the intel ports completely and try to connect the AMD power ports to the passenger side wall which I don't know if it will work. Personally I wouldn't want to deviate from the original designed harness plugs to ensure compatibility.

That is normal for the Intel atom installation to lie upside to get access to it. From what I have seen it is just a bit more difficult to get access to the appropriate intel bus and power ports.

Last edited:
Actually thinking about it a bit more it is impossible to use the rear CAN bus port for an Intel atom car because the Ryzen can bus lookels way smaller than what u need to plug in the back. But even if u could plug the blue port into the rear console u would create an open circuit on the male end of the CAN bus since it will not be connected to anything which would probably throw a whole bunch of errors on the screen. Sorry but I think you are stuck trying to hook it up to the underside of the glovebox.

Last edited:
Which leaves the ports under the passenger seat and at the back of the center console open for devices like the CanServer if that's still a thing.
regardless...the goal of the installation is not to leave some functionality disabled even if it was possible. However just looking at the number of wires between the rear CAN bus and the what is supplied in the harnes...it doesn't match.

I installed the 5.16" display today but I had trouble installing the latest firmware (20230330). The current version I am on is 20230313. When I saw the firmware installation video, the files names copied over were named "app.upd" and "can_app.bin". When I downloaded the latest firmware from Hansshow's google drive, I noticed the files were named "app32.upd" and "can_app.bin".

When I inserted my USB drive it seemed like the "can_app.bin" file was able to upgrade but not the "app32.upd" file. However when I checked the can app version it still was the old version. I even renamed the "app32.upd" file to be "app.upd" to be consistent with the firmware installation video. For some reason my stupid unit is not detecting the firmware update which is rather annoying and just goes to the startup splash screen.

Anyone have any advice on firmware installation in the past. Do you have to install the firmware pieces in order meaning if there is an in between firmware version, I have to update that first?

I installed the 5.16" display today but I had trouble installing the latest firmware (20230330). The current version I am on is 20230313. When I saw the firmware installation video, the files names copied over were named "app.upd" and "can_app.bin". When I downloaded the latest firmware from Hansshow's google drive, I noticed the files were named "app32.upd" and "can_app.bin".

When I inserted my USB drive it seemed like the "can_app.bin" file was able to upgrade but not the "app32.upd" file. However when I checked the can app version it still was the old version. I even renamed the "app32.upd" file to be "app.upd" to be consistent with the firmware installation video. For some reason my stupid unit is not detecting the firmware update which is rather annoying and just goes to the startup splash screen.

Anyone have any advice on firmware installation in the past. Do you have to install the firmware pieces in order meaning if there is an in between firmware version, I have to update that first?
I solved my own problem. Apparently I was using a 32 GB USB stick initially for whatever reason it doesn't like that size for some reason. I tried reformatting the 32 GB USB disk so many times and using a combination of "app32.upd" and "app.upd" with no difference and it still wouldn't activate the app.upd file to update the firmware when pressing the brake pedal.

After many tries, I found an old 4 GB USB stick to give it a try and reformatted it and added the "app32.upd", "app.upd" and the "can_app.bin" files just to see what file the 5.16" display takes if it does work. I finally was able to get the firmware app update to install and the can_app.bin file to install as well. I brought my 4 GB USB stick back to my laptop to check which files were installed and sure enough the "app32.upd" and "can_app.bin" files from the original download were gone and the extra "app.upd" file remained on my drive. This proves that the "app32.upd" file name that came with the firmware zip file works just fine and that Hansshow display doesn't look for a hardcoded name such as "app.upd" to update the firmware file.

The key takeaway is if you are struggling as to why your display is not kicking off the firmware update on your 5.16" display, try using a smaller USB size like 8 GB or less and formatted to the default allocation size (4 KB for 8GB and less in FAT32) since it seems to be sensitive for some reason to the size of the USB stick. I know the default allocation size for 32 GB is 16 KB in FAT32 so it could be the reason why it giving me trouble.

I know this might not be helpful to most but it was a very frustrating day for me today to get the 5.16" display installed with the front dashboard trim giving me trouble and then having to deal with this firmware update BS as to why it was not taking it but finally got it to install.

Last edited:
Where are you finding these small USC-C sticks? I thought USB-C sticks didn't start being a thing until 16GB was the smallest stick on the market. I am, of course, getting delivery today of a 128GB device that I ordered before reading your post