Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you live in CA?....maybe we can team up to do a trunk install once you've done yours, and if I plan to get mine of course
Oh, so I help you do the install after I’ve done all the hard work hah? Haha :p I see how it is. Yah, this install is no joke. I’m a bit over half way done and had to stop for today. I do have a wife, two kids (5 and 8), and a puppy, so time is pretty limited (especially with all of us at home right now). If you’re going to give the frunk/trunk a go you’ll need to give yourself some time. I’m thinking it’ll be worth it in the end.

7A9EAAC1-B62E-4E77-9E0D-4E9BCB6145C8.jpeg

Running the trunk signal cable is tough!
E702D046-11E4-49E3-B83E-738788860B02.jpeg
7B809D0E-254F-455A-B4EC-A8DE1090D919.jpeg
1D9845A7-0C56-4BF9-B821-9EF7D24B8044.jpeg
EA633B44-6470-473F-99BD-0D2F3C3F7F5E.jpeg
Installed the Trunk kit last night...I ended up routing through the lights, couldn't figure out how to fish the wires through without removing the bumper cover. I'll prb add a dab of sealant around the wire. Worst part was removing the rear seat trim and back cover, especially with a white interior. I understand why the new kit was designed this way, but it was daunting starting out.
Really appreciate your input with this. I did the frunk and it was easy (minor adjustments needed) but the trunk is WAY more involved. I was very close to just running through the taillights, and probably should have TBH, but I did end up running it through the small blue grommets behind the bumper. I found a way to run fish tape without removing the bumper but it was definitely a *%#?! (pics attached). I’m sad to hear you say that the hardest part is removing the rear seat trim and back cover because that’s where I stopped. Do I really need to remove the trim with the air bag in it, and any tips for that rear seat area? Any other help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

View attachment 524175
Running the trunk signal cable is tough!
View attachment 524176 View attachment 524177 View attachment 524178 View attachment 524179
Really appreciate your input with this. I did the frunk and it was easy (minor adjustments needed) but the trunk is WAY more involved. I was very close to just running through the taillights, and probably should have TBH, but I did end up running it through the small blue grommets behind the bumper. I found a way to run fish tape without removing the bumper but it was definitely a *%#?! (pics attached). I’m sad to hear you say that the hardest part is removing the rear seat trim and back cover because that’s where I stopped. Do I really need to remove the trim with the air bag in it, and any tips for that rear seat area? Any other help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Not as bad as it seems at first. Start with the lower trims first and work your way up, and remember to do both sides. The airbag trim just hangs in place once pulled off. Also, pushing the connector out of its tab helps.

Installed the Trunk kit last night...I ended up routing through the lights, couldn't figure out how to fish the wires through without removing the bumper cover. I'll prb add a dab of sealant around the wire. Worst part was removing the rear seat trim and back cover, especially with a white interior. I understand why the new kit was designed this way, but it was daunting starting out.
i attached the ground in the back by the amp and the power was surprisingly easy - passenger foot well on the right side.

Well worth it, for some reason I always felt embarrassed closing the trunk by hand at grocery stores :)

Do you picture where you did power? I thought they asking to connect to front battery.

No, I didn’t take a pic of it, but I ran the power wire all the way to the battery like you stated. There were parts of this install that were a nightmare—like K1 said—that trunk signal is an absolute disaster to reach and plug in. That sucked.
Do you picture where you did power? I thought they asking to connect to front battery.

YouTube videos are all over the place in regard to power connections (passing through the door trim didn't make sense to me). I went with the product diagram of under the glove box - right side foot well. Connects to a existing power screw.
View attachment 524363

Install done. Not easy, definitely not that frickin’ trunk signal wire. I did mess up a speaker wire under the glove box (passenger footwell area). For the life of me, I couldn’t remove that thing. I managed to take the wires out but they were pinned. I’m not an electrician, so I’m not sure how I’m supposed to get those wires back in? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The only other issue I ran into was trying to set the “closing strength” of the trunk. It doesn’t talk about this in the manual but I saw a guy do it in a tutorial video. I followed the same steps and my trunk just locked in the open position and simply wouldn’t close. I had to then manually close it and reset the system.

Install done. Not easy, definitely not that frickin’ trunk signal wire. I did mess up a speaker wire under the glove box (passenger footwell area). For the life of me, I couldn’t remove that thing. I managed to take the wires out but they were pinned. I’m not an electrician, so I’m not sure how I’m supposed to get those wires back in? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The only other issue I ran into was trying to set the “closing strength” of the trunk. It doesn’t talk about this in the manual but I saw a guy do it in a tutorial video. I followed the same steps and my trunk just locked in the open position and simply wouldn’t close. I had to then manually close it and reset the system.
Here’s the part I’m talking about. The red/green wires came out. Any way to get them back in??

C69D4BFF-F144-4F5A-B6BC-455D29501671.jpeg

Here’s the part I’m talking about. The red/green wires came out. Any way to get them back in??

View attachment 524412
I left the speaker attached, tray just hangs down when you disconnect the light. From the picture it looks like you need remove the pins from the connector. Once removed reattach the wires and slide the pins back in.

I didn't need to change the trunk closing strength setting but I did need to adjust the soft lock block a few times for it to close all the way.

Question, my kit didn't come with the rubber stopper replacement caps? Is that a change or missing parts?

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
I left the speaker attached, tray just hangs down when you disconnect the light. From the picture it looks like you need remove the pins from the connector. Once removed reattach the wires and slide the pins back in.

I didn't need to change the trunk closing strength setting but I did need to adjust the soft lock block a few times for it to close all the way.

Question, my kit didn't come with the rubber stopper replacement caps? Is that a change or missing parts?
Thanks for the reply! I made a mistake. Should have just left it. I’m going to try to remove the pins and reconnect.

I thought the same thing about replacement caps. I asked Hansshow about it. Supposedly we don’t need them any longer. Just leave the originals there.

Reactions: K1Woods
Oh, so I help you do the install after I’ve done all the hard work hah? Haha :p I see how it is. Yah, this install is no joke. I’m a bit over half way done and had to stop for today. I do have a wife, two kids (5 and 8), and a puppy, so time is pretty limited (especially with all of us at home right now). If you’re going to give the frunk/trunk a go you’ll need to give yourself some time. I’m thinking it’ll be worth it in the end.
I didn’t have a lot of sympathy for you until you said “puppy”.

• Funny
Reactions: Mod Y Guy
It's hard to see from the diagram but it's a threaded bolt attachment. Easy to see once you remove the trim. Look for the wire bundle to locate the bolt (red arrow line).
Fixed the issue with the speaker! :D Not easy, but what is, right?!

Had to cut these wires:
8DC1A8CB-9C67-4791-9752-1E9154F6A48F.jpeg

Simply no chance they were going back in here (trust me, I tried). Can’t really tell from the pic but this piece is TINY:
629B286C-F04E-4119-BC68-B10FBE4FD533.jpeg

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)