Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@k1
For strut wires, how did you fish wires? You said you used hole behind tail light.

For trunk signal wire, did you cut the outer plastic? Did you remove connectors from wire before fishing? Any other tips?

For power, yeah I see small screw in picture you sent, assuming that's the one. You happen to have picture?

My kit is coming today let's see.

@k1
For strut wires, how did you fish wires? You said you used hole behind tail light.

** I did - the connector hole, just follow the Power Trunk youtube videos for reference, make sure to use a drip loop - I also added clear silicone sealant for additional protection (at connector and underneath top light trim).

For trunk signal wire, did you cut the outer plastic? Did you remove connectors from wire before fishing? Any other tips?

** I removed the connector (yellow tab) for fishing the power button wire through the tube (very easy). That's the only wire that goes through the trunk wire conduit with the new kit. The Green Fish Wire sold on Amazon worked worked really well. The Trunk Signal connectors pass through the top trunk area to the top panel.

For power, yeah I see small screw in picture you sent, assuming that's the one. You happen to have picture?

** I don't but once you remove the glove box trim, disconnect the light only and let it hang, you will easily see the screw.

My kit is coming today let's see.

** Good luck!, its a fun project - just take your time, use a firm but gentle hand. I'm waiting for the Frunk kit.

A word of caution...

I didn’t realize this until after I was finished with the install but it turns out I damaged my trunk lid. You can’t really tell from the image but I put some small dents in the trunk after popping the plastic liner back in.

D3304882-5F52-4FFF-9BFD-FCC50042F71A.jpeg

I really didn’t think I “slammed” the liner back in there but it was seemingly hard enough to leave visible damage to the trunk. There are black plastic pieces on either side that protrude out a few inches that must have impacted the metal when placing the liner back into place.

8D660883-C21D-4F3A-B634-A3C16AB030E2.jpeg

DD9CE6A7-D913-4311-9EAD-6164A49A39FC.jpeg

F19462A6-AE5C-44AE-A5A5-E9E5C89B1F1D.jpeg

I had to call a mobile dent guy to come out and fix it. It looks good again now but it sucked to realize it happened. I was so happy to be done with a successful install, only to be saddened by the fact that I damaged my trunk. When you pop the liner back in just be super careful to not bang in the clips too hard or you could have some unwanted damage to your car. :( Please learn from my mistake.

I got my package today, it had some scuffs around, wonder it's used..

Anyway, I didn't get black trunk stopper I saw in few videos. Did you?

If I decide to install tailgate button on bottom, then looks like I don't have to run any wires to top of lid, right?

Bit confused on tailgate signal plug, any videos or insight on how to ?

I got my package today, it had some scuffs around, wonder it's used..

Anyway, I didn't get black trunk stopper I saw in few videos. Did you?

If I decide to install tailgate button on bottom, then looks like I don't have to run any wires to top of lid, right?

Bit confused on tailgate signal plug, any videos or insight on how to ?
They no longer provide the small rubber stoppers (not needed they said). I didn’t get them either.

Yes, if you install low it will save you a lot of time and frustration. I just didn’t like the placement there in the lower right. To me, it was worth the effort of fishing it through the black tubing but it does take some effort. However, if I would have installed the tailgate button low then I would have never damaged my trunk with those small dents from the black liner. Huh. What’s done is done.

As for the trunk signal, good luck! There’s NO EASY WAY to get to it. It’s definitely the hardest part of the install and the entire tray over the speakers has to be removed in order to reach the trunk signal button. It can be done but it’s not easy.

I did the frunk install first and it was cake. The trunk is much more difficult.

Model 3 Trunk.png
For anyone else thinking about tackling the install you could mount the tailgate button in any of the three marked locations (refer to pic) rather than having to run the tailgate cable through the black tubing. You also wouldn't have to pop off the plastic trunk liner either. However, if you prefer the placement of the tailgate button up high, as I did, you'll have no other choice than to take the more difficult path up the black tubing. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: m3snowy
update ...
i got my kit and after opening it seems like been used or damaged. several parts have scratches and paint off. Reaching to to william @haauto/hanshaw company, yet to find step on how they will send me replacement. will update and share experience.

update ...
i got my kit and after opening it seems like been used or damaged. several parts have scratches and paint off. Reaching to to william @haauto/hanshaw company, yet to find step on how they will send me replacement. will update and share experience.

The lack of communication with Hansshow is troubling, ordered the Frunk kit on the 18th, no invoice, no status, no returned emails. I realize these are crazy times right now but no excuses for not returning emails or providing estimated ship dates. Nor should you receive a used, damage kit at full price.

My Trunk kit arrived only after filing a Paypal dispute. Great kit otherwise.

I do wish the trunk button was a little better quality, I may source the circular Model Y button.

Install done. Not easy, definitely not that frickin’ trunk signal wire. I did mess up a speaker wire under the glove box (passenger footwell area). For the life of me, I couldn’t remove that thing. I managed to take the wires out but they were pinned. I’m not an electrician, so I’m not sure how I’m supposed to get those wires back in? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The only other issue I ran into was trying to set the “closing strength” of the trunk. It doesn’t talk about this in the manual but I saw a guy do it in a tutorial video. I followed the same steps and my trunk just locked in the open position and simply wouldn’t close. I had to then manually close it and reset the system.

You messed up a speaker wire?

Was wanting to do at minimum the frunk, but I realized my PPF on the bumper is one whole piece with no cut-out around the sensors, including tow hook.

I'm not willing to cut it out for the frunk as it makes washing much easier since no dirt can collect around the cut-outs. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future.

@DK21 nice job man glad you got it finally over with

Last edited:
Reactions: Mod Y Guy
Was wanting to do at minimum the frunk, but I realized my PPF on the bumper is one whole piece with no cut-out around the sensors, including tow hook.

I'm not willing to cut it out for the trunk as it makes washing much easier since no dirt can collect around the cut-outs. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future.

@DK21 nice job man glad you got it finally over with
Yah man, sometimes it's better to just leave well enough alone. I just don't practice what I preach very well. Haha. If I were you, I'd probably just leave it alone as well. And thanks man, I'm very glad the frunk and trunk install are behind me. Be well.

So far not too impressed with customer service at hansshaw..

Before purchasing.... What's app chat was like, you talking to person next to you, quick and informative.

After I reported used or damaged part sent, getting one response a day and response is vague, one liner or not answering to what I asked, seems like avoiding or delaying actual issue. May be I will have to open PayPal dispute.

To add to bad parts, check this originally they said everything was new, after day or saw they saying 'struct was new'. So seems like they want to send partial replacement yet indirectly acknowleding that other parts were used.

Hi guys it’s Dave from BoringMod and I have sold alot of the v3 trunk kits via our group discount order.

The v3 instructions is different and the signal wire is routed differently:

customer service is a bit harder due to China time and such but using WhatsApp to contact Hansshow is the best bet.

Please don’t use the earlier install videos you see on YouTube as it’s different and will likely cause a lot of issues. To remedy this issue if someone makes me a v3 installation video that I can post and PDF manual that’s more consist I’m willing to reimburse you $150 so that will bring the group price of $400 down to $250. Let me know who is interested and sorry about the issues I’m not a technical person myself as I got my kit installed so I wish I could be of more help.