Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my Hansshow kits are here. Going for the Frunk first which looks quite straight forward. I have watched every YT video going for the Trunk but I still have two questions;

1. Taking the cover off the Trunk lid and removing the rear lights - seems hard to do and I am worried about breaking the clips. Any advice?
2. Am I right in thinking that in the 2020 M3 there is a power connector under the rear seat, rather than havign to take the power all the way to the firewall? Or have I picked that up wrongly?

Thanks.

Just finished my install yesterday. Rear lights were easy. Take or screws and wiggle and pull. The trunk lid trim removal was not bad either just pull hard and I broke a bunch of clips. Luckily, I ordered replacements from amazon. Worst part was getting clips out of trunk lid. Used clip removal tools and screwdrivers. Had to pry clips from both sides.Went back in very easy.

Also.put the rubber blanks (replacement for the two springs on trunk lid) on before you put trim back on. I pushed mine in to far and they fell in trunk lid. Had to remove trim again. Good thing I ad extra clips.

I used the under seat power source. Very easy, no problems. Turn vehicle power off first. I just loosened the boly and slide in the power connector. Have fun.

I did end up taking the top part of bumper off to fish the strut wires. Much easier in the long run.

White Clips - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y66SXHT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Green Clips - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXDTY2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks that gives me confidence - sadly Amazon does not seem to provide any of the clips listed in the UK. I have some white clips that are very similar but not absolutely identical. Anyway - Frunk installation this afternoon first.

The white clip is a bit different from that link. If you want the original part you can call or go to Tesla's Service center and give them the part number #1142766-00-A (TRIM CLIP,10x1.2GRIP,3.1SET-UP,POM). They cost me 73cent CAD each. I couldn't find any clip that is exact match either on ebay or amazon for this.

The green clip is the same as toyota's trim clip. Found one here on Amazon for UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retainer-Retaining-90467-10188-Accessories-decoration/dp/B08CT8KYHB (seems like the one in amazon UK they have sponge pad, which is not needed and probably can be removed)

Last edited:
Reactions: not4antoher
Thanks - I will order those.

Well the Frunk is now done. I had a lot of difficulty with one strut. It keeps twisting itself off the ball joint. I am 100% certian it is clicked home. I even swapped the spring clip from another strut but this still happens. If you give it a sharp pull then it stays in place, but add a twist and it falls off. A strange scratch appeared on the barrel of the strut which makes me think that there is something preventing movement and the additonal torque is then popping the strut off.

I think that there is amanufacturing defect with this strut. When it first fell off it hit one of the little side clips for the frunk liner and broke it because I was testing before re-assembling the liner. So I now need one of those clips as well.

Other than that there was quite a lot of fiddling with the catch mechanism to get the frunk hook to trigger the close motor.

Here is a photo of the strut.
Strut.jpg

Well the Frunk is now done. I had a lot of difficulty with one strut. It keeps twisting itself off the ball joint. I am 100% certian it is clicked home. I even swapped the spring clip from another strut but this still happens. If you give it a sharp pull then it stays in place, but add a twist and it falls off. A strange scratch appeared on the barrel of the strut which makes me think that there is something preventing movement and the additonal torque is then popping the strut off.

I think that there is amanufacturing defect with this strut. When it first fell off it hit one of the little side clips for the frunk liner and broke it because I was testing before re-assembling the liner. So I now need one of those clips as well.

Other than that there was quite a lot of fiddling with the catch mechanism to get the frunk hook to trigger the close motor.

Here is a photo of the strut. View attachment 574597

That's quite odd. Did you contact the seller for a remedy?

During my install last week, I tried fishing the strut wires into the trunk without removing the bumper. While pulling the wire the two pin connector pulled off the strut cable (leaving the pins in the two pin blue connector). I was able to fix by soldering the wires but have been trying to get another connector from Hansshow. No luck yet. I am wondering if anyone who has not yet installed the struts can help me by measuring the distance between the two pins on the strut cable. I have found potential replacements but need the pin spacing. My wife has the car and is not anxious for me to remove the trunk trim again to get the measurement. Appreciate the help.

I finally finished installing both my trunk and trunk Hansshow kits. I installed the foot sensor on both too. I got their very latest kits about 6 weeks ago, which IIRC is V4 on the trunk and V3 on frunk... I’ve paid less attention to the versioning stuff recently since I already received it. In fact I’d missed that a new firmware is maybe out (thanks @tlr1000 for mentioning that above, where did you read that?).

Anyway, I wanted to try and summarize my experiences. That was quite a lot of experience so I make no apologies for this being a long post.. but If you want to cut to the chase:

TL;DR Get these kits, install isn’t so bad, and they’re a great enhancement to your car!.

Firstly, I absolutely love having motorized front and back. I’m so glad I did this. I essentially never used the frunk until it was motorized (fear of damage, inconvenience, and knowing that I would dirty up the paint by touching it to close). Now I use it a lot, and it’s sort of fun to make people gawp at the froot/frunk, especially with the out of nowhere motorized open. The trunk is just much nicer to have, but less significant reasons to do it compared to the frunk, but I do again like avoiding the paintwork contact to close it. And also I always found it pretty crappy to have to slam it closed or manually lift it.. hard to describe but the original setup all added to my (still ongoing) feeling that too much of the Tesla is a bit basic and rudimentary and, dare I say it, cheap. Motorizing these pieces improves that experience a lot. It’s a bit like the Easy Entry experience.. kinda minor but adds a really nice touch that increases satisfaction. Even the frunk foot sensor, which has the well-known drawback that it only works *after* unlocking the car (having phone in pocket is not enough, unlike the trunk) is good because I can choose to have the car remain unlocked at home or I can walk into my garage, open the door and then walk to the frunk and kick open it. It’s especially helpful because remember that the frunk has no buttons to unlock it from the outside so it’s the screen inside the car, or the key fob, or the phone app.. until you get the foot sensor. I thought the (Approx) $900 outlay was a bargain for this.

Secondly, the installs weren’t super easy all round but they weren’t bad, and were kind of fun for someone who doesn’t mind tinkering with things, and it really didn’t feel risky or dangerous at any time. I did them on a car that’s only 3 months old (M3 performance) without stressing out. Partly because I never had to remove the bumper, the taillights, or any complex trim. The worst I had to do was peel up the rubber weather strip in some spots in the trunk, or deal with some slightly awkward trim clips. There were some frustrating time consuming parts though, even after watching every video I could find (yes including the competitor product ones, the foreign language ones, the different version ones, etc). I worked really hard to try and video and photo everything but I don’t really know what I’ll do with it all... not experienced in video editing and YouTube posting. But I feel like I have a gold mine of info to at least help people with and to capture some still photos from the videos I took.

Foot sensors worried me but turned out to be extremely simple on the trunk (because I have a newer car with a simple panel that can be removed from the bottom) and fairly easy on the frunk (release some clips and then pry open a slightly tricky plastic to bumper part). I think if you have an older car that doesn’t have the panel on the trunk, this might be way harder.

The frunk is basically just simple.. it’s harder to work out how to tie up all the cables out of the way and make it neat, than to do the install. Perhaps I was lucky since I didn’t have to mess with any adjustment screws or anything like that. But I did have issues anyway. The biggest one is that every time the power was interrupted (or on the first time it was connected up) the system would need a reset (connect up the programming cable temporarily, then hold open button down until first beep). But if I ever forgot to do this, it would usually do some crazy thing where it tried to open or close, and ended up busting a strut free of the ball lock/clip. I worry about forgetting that again in future if something goes wrong and needs a reset. The second issue was that the foot sensor control box didn’t work, and it of course took some time for me to convince myself it wasn’t me doing something wrong, then I had to talk to HAnsshow (William) to get some help, and then eventually concluded the control box was broken and needed a replacement which took 2.5 weeks to arrive. But it worked perfectly second time so hopefully that was just a one off bad one.

I will try to add some details about the trunk difficulties and experience soon. It’s too much for me to document just now

I finally finished installing both my trunk and trunk Hansshow kits. I installed the foot sensor on both too. I got their very latest kits about 6 weeks ago, which IIRC is V4 on the trunk and V3 on frunk... I’ve paid less attention to the versioning stuff recently since I already received it. In fact I’d missed that a new firmware is maybe out (thanks @tlr1000 for mentioning that above, where did you read that?).

Anyway, I wanted to try and summarize my experiences. That was quite a lot of experience so I make no apologies for this being a long post.. but If you want to cut to the chase:

TL;DR Get these kits, install isn’t so bad, and they’re a great enhancement to your car!.

Firstly, I absolutely love having motorized front and back. I’m so glad I did this. I essentially never used the frunk until it was motorized (fear of damage, inconvenience, and knowing that I would dirty up the paint by touching it to close). Now I use it a lot, and it’s sort of fun to make people gawp at the froot/frunk, especially with the out of nowhere motorized open. The trunk is just much nicer to have, but less significant reasons to do it compared to the frunk, but I do again like avoiding the paintwork contact to close it. And also I always found it pretty crappy to have to slam it closed or manually lift it.. hard to describe but the original setup all added to my (still ongoing) feeling that too much of the Tesla is a bit basic and rudimentary and, dare I say it, cheap. Motorizing these pieces improves that experience a lot. It’s a bit like the Easy Entry experience.. kinda minor but adds a really nice touch that increases satisfaction. Even the frunk foot sensor, which has the well-known drawback that it only works *after* unlocking the car (having phone in pocket is not enough, unlike the trunk) is good because I can choose to have the car remain unlocked at home or I can walk into my garage, open the door and then walk to the frunk and kick open it. It’s especially helpful because remember that the frunk has no buttons to unlock it from the outside so it’s the screen inside the car, or the key fob, or the phone app.. until you get the foot sensor. I thought the (Approx) $900 outlay was a bargain for this.

Secondly, the installs weren’t super easy all round but they weren’t bad, and were kind of fun for someone who doesn’t mind tinkering with things, and it really didn’t feel risky or dangerous at any time. I did them on a car that’s only 3 months old (M3 performance) without stressing out. Partly because I never had to remove the bumper, the taillights, or any complex trim. The worst I had to do was peel up the rubber weather strip in some spots in the trunk, or deal with some slightly awkward trim clips. There were some frustrating time consuming parts though, even after watching every video I could find (yes including the competitor product ones, the foreign language ones, the different version ones, etc). I worked really hard to try and video and photo everything but I don’t really know what I’ll do with it all... not experienced in video editing and YouTube posting. But I feel like I have a gold mine of info to at least help people with and to capture some still photos from the videos I took.

Foot sensors worried me but turned out to be extremely simple on the trunk (because I have a newer car with a simple panel that can be removed from the bottom) and fairly easy on the frunk (release some clips and then pry open a slightly tricky plastic to bumper part). I think if you have an older car that doesn’t have the panel on the trunk, this might be way harder.

The frunk is basically just simple.. it’s harder to work out how to tie up all the cables out of the way and make it neat, than to do the install. Perhaps I was lucky since I didn’t have to mess with any adjustment screws or anything like that. But I did have issues anyway. The biggest one is that every time the power was interrupted (or on the first time it was connected up) the system would need a reset (connect up the programming cable temporarily, then hold open button down until first beep). But if I ever forgot to do this, it would usually do some crazy thing where it tried to open or close, and ended up busting a strut free of the ball lock/clip. I worry about forgetting that again in future if something goes wrong and needs a reset. The second issue was that the foot sensor control box didn’t work, and it of course took some time for me to convince myself it wasn’t me doing something wrong, then I had to talk to HAnsshow (William) to get some help, and then eventually concluded the control box was broken and needed a replacement which took 2.5 weeks to arrive. But it worked perfectly second time so hopefully that was just a one off bad one.

I will try to add some details about the trunk difficulties and experience soon. It’s too much for me to document just now

I helped a friend install a v4 HS trunk recently. The problem noted right away was that the CANBUS connector did not do anything. We tried plugging into both CANBUS connectors and neither prevented the trunk from opening when the car was in drive. This would mean that if a foot sensor was there, it could get triggered by backing into a parking barrier. My friend contacted HS about this concern and they sent him a new firmware update. I have not confirmed whether the new firmware solves the issue but would assume it does.

I wholeheartedly agree that having both trunk/frunk kits is great.

Here is a photo of the strut. View attachment 574597
Check that the strut mount has both bolts installed. Here’s someone else who fixed a similar issue this way. Hansshow frunk stopped working - Tesla Owners Online

WhatsApp HS support. They sent me this but I haven't tried it yet.

View attachment 578037
I have the HS V4 KIT and took the plunge and installed this very update.

2 reasons why I decide to update:

Canbus not working as it should, trunk opens when in drive.

The trunk doesn't always open or respond when i try to enable it. No matter when inside the car, via app or trunk button, nothing works.

Here are my observations.

Firmware install was easy as pie, as HS instructions were very detailed and to the T.

First impressions, I noticed that my trunk speed on opening and closing, were more consistent. I used to have it close hard, with a thud.

With no adjustments made after the firmware update, the kit now closes and latches as it should. Soft and smooth.

The canbus however, still suffers as the trunk still opens when in drive, when someone attempts the trunk from the outside.

Trunk is opening as it should, for now. All options tried and it's working as it should, for now.

Hope we get another firmware to fix the canbus soon.

Anyone else try the update?

• Informative
Reactions: kiNGng3