Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A further update on this (yesterday I did NOT make a note if the car was locked or not).
  • When in "D" and the car is locked, I CANNOT open the trunk by physically pressing the button on the lid.
  • When in "D" and the car is unlocked, I can open the trunk by physically pressing the button, however, a warning pops up on the screen saying that the trunk is opened.
I did not install the foot sensor (for reasons I had previously posted). I would assume it would behave the same way as above when the car is locked/unlocked but don't quote me on that.

Personally I'm happy with how my HS V4 works. YMMV.

Yeah I am completely happy with HS V4, I did have one instance with the foot sensor being activated during a car wash. Now as soon as my car enters the car wash, I lock it and turn off the bluetooth on my phone so the phone cant trigger the car to unlock and open the trunk during the car wash. Works just fine. I also keep a good distance from the car.

Hansshow sent me replacement wiring looms & now the boot closes, instead of only opening
However, that is without the wires installed. Just simply loose to test connection
I’ll hold my breath until after the wires have been passed through the ribbed rubber truncheon on the boot lid - I just have a remote concern that one of the wires was crushed/stripped/damaged when fed through. I guess I’ll find out when the old wiring is extracted

Hansshow sent me replacement wiring looms & now the boot closes, instead of only opening
However, that is without the wires installed. Just simply loose to test connection
I’ll hold my breath until after the wires have been passed through the ribbed rubber truncheon on the boot lid - I just have a remote concern that one of the wires was crushed/stripped/damaged when fed through. I guess I’ll find out when the old wiring is extracted
Installed new wiring looms & everything works, including the foot sensor (which is a little bit hit and miss in operation).
Old wiring loom showed no sign of damage, so maybe a wire or connection was faulty.
The foot sensor screw countersinking is on the wrong side - should be on the top (THIS SIDE UP) not the bottom
Trunk lid height setting is not great - need to be able to minimise the opening height when carrying lengths of wood on the roof bars

I just installed a v4 trunk kit that I received last week and it seems to have a couple problems I've not seen anyone mention. First is that even though it's connected to CAN, I am not able to close the trunk from the touch screen when it is open. The button is greyed out and says "opened". As soon as I unplug the CAN wire it goes back to the old behavior of v3 where it alternates between the "open" button and "opened" text. The other problem I have is that none of the included instructions for changing the settings are working. When I hold down the liftgate button I get one beep and then two beeps, and then it stops. I can't set the speed or strength settings at all despite watching several videos. My controller also looks different than any others I've seen. There is no status light or small button on the controller, and the speaker is not a separate unit that you plug in, it is built in to the controller. My actuator also looks different than the picture in the instructions. Anyone else who just got a v4 trunk kit have any of these problems?

I just installed a v4 trunk kit that I received last week and it seems to have a couple problems I've not seen anyone mention. First is that even though it's connected to CAN, I am not able to close the trunk from the touch screen when it is open. The button is greyed out and says "opened". As soon as I unplug the CAN wire it goes back to the old behavior of v3 where it alternates between the "open" button and "opened" text. The other problem I have is that none of the included instructions for changing the settings are working. When I hold down the liftgate button I get one beep and then two beeps, and then it stops. I can't set the speed or strength settings at all despite watching several videos. My controller also looks different than any others I've seen. There is no status light or small button on the controller, and the speaker is not a separate unit that you plug in, it is built in to the controller. My actuator also looks different than the picture in the instructions. Anyone else who just got a v4 trunk kit have any of these problems?
Hi,
I received the same kit as you, it is in fact V6 - I confirmed with Hansshow.

1: Canbus - Question, can you close it from the app, from the tailgate button and also from the handle? If so, that's already a good sign. Regarding the button on screen, were you sitting in the driver's seat or the passenger seat? If you are not sitting in the driver's seat, it will be greyed out. Once the pressure sensor in seat detects a presence, it will work. If it doesn't, check your connections especially at the canbus bypass end. You either have a bad bypass harness, bad wire from control box or a bad control box. Disconnect your wires and harness and use a multimeter to check continuity on each wire. If good, your control box or firmware is bad.

2. The included instructions are completely wrong about adjusting the control box as there is no black button and no status lights. I spoke to Hansshow and they are supposedly preparing a firmware update. I am waiting for news. However, I have to say, I can adjust the speed from the tailgate button by hold it down and listening for the number of beeps representing speed. As for suction lock strength, closing strength, etc, it seems to work fine out of the box.

3. There is no speaker, it's integrated.

Here is a video I made showing my tips and tricks for an easier installation which won't help you at this point of course. Of note, it is possible to snake the canbus line under the carpet rather than the recommendation passing under the passenger seat which is visible.

Agreed, great video, thank you @Dekodan. You are right about the CAN bus and button on the screen, you have to sit in the drivers seat but also press the brake so that the car leaves Easy Entry mode, and then the button says "open" and you can click it to close the trunk. I am still unable to set the opening/closing speed, but I realized that if you press and hold the button on the tailgate, after one beep there will be a pause and then three beeps. Let go of the button then and it will set the height of the trunk door. Looking forward to the correct instructions for v6 to figure out the rest of the settings because mine definitely closes too tightly, the seams around the brake lights are way too close.

Agreed, great video, thank you @Dekodan. You are right about the CAN bus and button on the screen, you have to sit in the drivers seat but also press the brake so that the car leaves Easy Entry mode, and then the button says "open" and you can click it to close the trunk. I am still unable to set the opening/closing speed, but I realized that if you press and hold the button on the tailgate, after one beep there will be a pause and then three beeps. Let go of the button then and it will set the height of the trunk door. Looking forward to the correct instructions for v6 to figure out the rest of the settings because mine definitely closes too tightly, the seams around the brake lights are way too close.
There are no settings on the Hansshow box to change how tightly the trunk closes to the bumper. There are rubber bumpers in the lid that can be adjusted in length to change to position of the lid when closed.
D34717A5-6857-4AB4-8782-037F62E1EC5C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: JT_M3P
I received the same kit as you, it is in fact V6 - I confirmed with Hansshow.

Any word on the difference between v4 and v6?

I see some updated description on their website, but it is not clear to me if this is a software upgrade or a hardware upgrade, and in the latter case if v4 is upgradable to v6.

I received the v4 a few weeks ago and have not yet installed it, so I guess I should upgrade now if it involves other hardware.

I think you're correct about the tailgate button setting the height. I'll keep posted if I get more info from Hansshow. As for the closing too tightly and the lid is too close to the brake lights, you must adjust your rubber feet in the lid to the correct depth. The instructions say to move them in completely during install but they fail to tell you to adjust them afterward. Wish I would have added that in my video :)