TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dendenyc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

According to Hansshow (over whatsapp), V6 is even "more" soft close than V4. Don't know if there was a V5, no mention. I would guess that V6 is just a software update to V4, not sure because I haven't seen a picture of the control box that was delivered in boxes marked V4. Can someone post a pic?

2. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

By the way for anyone interested, I listed in the "For Sale" a V3 kit that I have with kick sensor. Never opened. Anyone interested in buying?

3. Roci

Roci Member

@Allan O
    I ordered mine on Nov 20 and received it Nov 30, and I apparently got v6. My instructions say v4 so that's the source of confusion. You may have v6 depending on your order date. I think the easiest way to tell is whether or not you have a speaker module included in your parts, because with v6 the speaker is built-in to the controller.

Thanks @todd2fst4u and @Dekodan, you were right about the rubber bumpers fixing the trunk alignment!

Another oddity I'm facing now is that the foot sensor does not work if the car is in sleep mode. What's weird is that if I push the original trunk button, it wakes the car up enough that the foot sensor will then work. Seems like the foot sensor should just trigger the button anyway and wake it up. Wonder if that's new to v6 - anyone notice that with v4 or earlier? Maybe a firmware update could improve that behavior.

4. sokhangoo

sokhangoo Member

#484 sokhangoo, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    I’ve just got the V4 installed by a Hansshow recommended installer. The he forgot to plug in the parking sensors after I drove off, so he partially removed rear bumper and plugged the sensors back, but still after I drive the car for an hour the sensors do not work and there is an error. Anyone had a similar issue?

to clarify, he had to remove the rear bumper to speed up the installation.

5. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

I also forgot to reattach the sensor but no issue after reconnecting. But I caught it before driving away.

• Like x 1
  6. Vecharo

Vecharo New Member

Were you able to get it to close correctly? Hubby just finished the trunk install and it's not closing properly. Like your experience, it closes but doesn't catch the soft latch.

7. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

#487 Dekodan, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    I received an updated firmware for the V6 module. It’s in two files that appear to be dated December 15 as well as instructions for how to install FW. I also received confusing instructions on how to make adjustments to speed, height, etc. Pasting below. I haven’t proceeded yet as mine seems to work well. Anyone else receive updated FW from hansshow and already done update? Any experiences to share? Not sure I want to test as I have no issues.

To be applied after FW update:
    Long press the button of the tailgate . When you hear "beep" for the first time, it is to adjust the height of the door opening. When you hear "beep" for the second time, it is the slowest speed of opening and closing the door. When you hear two consecutive "beep" for the middle speed of opening and closing the door, there will be a "beep" sound. If you choose the middle speed, after hearing this "beep" sound, release your hand, After 5 seconds, press the button of the tail door again to complete the adjustment of the opening and closing speed. The fastest way to open the door is to hear "beep" three times in a row. After that, there will be a "beep" sound. If you choose the middle speed, after hearing the "beep" sound, release your hand, and then press the tail door button five seconds later to complete the adjustment of the opening and closing speed.

Also providing a Dropbox link with the firmware and instructions if you’re interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9mjdbeg8zdu9bo2/AAAtV0i1_mSJ6520s7VhKtdJa?dl=0

8. Nuclear Fusion

I found the height adjustment doesn’t work

9. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

Does the firmware update I linked to also work on your V4 module? It was sent to me from Hansshow but I have a V6 module.

10. Roci

Roci Member

Did they mention any specifics on the improvements with this new firmware? I'm nervous about installing it on my v6 since I'm not really having any problems after we discovered that some of the new behavior is actually intended and the opening height can be set by holding the button down until there are 3 beeps.

11. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

My thinking is the same as yours; I'm not motivated to update mine as I've had no issues. I had initially written to Hansshow because the instructions described how to adjust settings via the black button on the control module which was clearly a hold-over from older instructions; that button does not exist on the new module. In response, the tech person said he would make an updated firmware so that adjustments such as speed can be made. By then, I had installed my complete unit and it works fine as is. If anyone decides to give it a go, please post back here.

12. p1l0t3

p1l0t3 Member

Any news if the Christmas update doesn't remove hansshow features ?
    Any improvement ?

13. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

No changes to the operation of the auto liftgate after the x-mas update. All operating as expected.

14. ranova

ranova Member

now the 3D Model of your car on the screen will just show the rear trunk open and close nonstop, not really any different than before but much more noticeable

15. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

Depends on your version. V4 and above have a canbus connector. As such, the screen does not show open and close over and over.

16. ranova

ranova Member

I got mine installed 3 months ago, so I believe it actually has V5 (which is for installers only and that's why they went to V6 in the latest update). Ill check again but I believe mine definitely does the nonstop open and close, which isn't a huge deal

Their response regarding email versions:
    The only different is the cables, V4 is DIY cables, they are more easy to install. V5 is plug and play version. They are more difficult
    to install than V4 .

17. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

I think you have to time hitting the screen button to close, is that correct? Strange, I thought the Canbus wire addition solved that. Oh well, it works :)

18. ranova

ranova Member

yep you have to time it, but its not terribly difficult. Im surprised an update hasn't come out from Hansshow to utilize the code for the built in powered liftgate found on newer model 3s. Maybe its locked behind the software

19. Dekodan

Dekodan Member

Just confirming that the firmware I linked in post #487 is only for V6 module according to Hansshow. Since I am not having issues with original FW, I am not updating for now. I asked Hansshow if there is any specific advantage as to why I would do it now. Waiting on response.

20. Kyure

Kyure New Member

Does the v6 power strut still rub against the weather stripping when it's closing? Hansshow's rep is telling me the strut is thinner compare to the older version. I'm wondering if it resolves the issue with the older version is tearing the weather strip with trunk closing motion. Thanks