Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any word on the difference between v4 and v6?

I see some updated description on their website, but it is not clear to me if this is a software upgrade or a hardware upgrade, and in the latter case if v4 is upgradable to v6.

I received the v4 a few weeks ago and have not yet installed it, so I guess I should upgrade now if it involves other hardware.

According to Hansshow (over whatsapp), V6 is even "more" soft close than V4. Don't know if there was a V5, no mention. I would guess that V6 is just a software update to V4, not sure because I haven't seen a picture of the control box that was delivered in boxes marked V4. Can someone post a pic?

@Allan O
Any word on the difference between v4 and v6?

I see some updated description on their website, but it is not clear to me if this is a software upgrade or a hardware upgrade, and in the latter case if v4 is upgradable to v6.

I received the v4 a few weeks ago and have not yet installed it, so I guess I should upgrade now if it involves other hardware.
I ordered mine on Nov 20 and received it Nov 30, and I apparently got v6. My instructions say v4 so that's the source of confusion. You may have v6 depending on your order date. I think the easiest way to tell is whether or not you have a speaker module included in your parts, because with v6 the speaker is built-in to the controller.

Thanks @todd2fst4u and @Dekodan, you were right about the rubber bumpers fixing the trunk alignment!

Another oddity I'm facing now is that the foot sensor does not work if the car is in sleep mode. What's weird is that if I push the original trunk button, it wakes the car up enough that the foot sensor will then work. Seems like the foot sensor should just trigger the button anyway and wake it up. Wonder if that's new to v6 - anyone notice that with v4 or earlier? Maybe a firmware update could improve that behavior.

I’ve just got the V4 installed by a Hansshow recommended installer. The he forgot to plug in the parking sensors after I drove off, so he partially removed rear bumper and plugged the sensors back, but still after I drive the car for an hour the sensors do not work and there is an error. Anyone had a similar issue?

to clarify, he had to remove the rear bumper to speed up the installation.

Last edited:
I’ve just got the V4 installed by a Hansshow recommended installer. The he forgot to plug in the parking sensors after I drove off, so he partially removed rear bumper and plugged the sensors back, but still after I drive the car for an hour the sensors do not work and there is an error. Anyone had a similar issue?

to clarify, he had to remove the rear bumper to speed up the installation.

I also forgot to reattach the sensor but no issue after reconnecting. But I caught it before driving away.

Reactions: sokhangoo
V4 Trunk: Anybody having problems with the soft-close latch? It looks like the actuator pulls the cable to suck down the latch, but I’m not hearing it and I don’t see that nearly as clearly as with the Frunk Kit. Also, when I pull up on the trunk, it’s locked, but there’s a little play, 1/8”~1/4”, leading me to think the soft close isn’t pulling down effectively.
I’ve tested:
- Loosen T45 torxes and reposition the Latch Plate at the highest point, latch will catch correctly (just not suck down)
- Reposition at the lowest point, latch won’t catch at all, leaving trunk open
- Adjust tightening/loosening screws at the actuator housing
- At maximum distance (ie. latch is at the highest position on the plate), trunk will latch correctly (just not suck down)
- At factory distance, trunk wouldn’t latch

So it feels like the HW is setup correctly, just not pulling the cable for the soft-close. Is there a way I can test this independently without activating the struts, just to see if the latch is sucking correctly?

Were you able to get it to close correctly? Hubby just finished the trunk install and it's not closing properly. Like your experience, it closes but doesn't catch the soft latch.

I received an updated firmware for the V6 module. It’s in two files that appear to be dated December 15 as well as instructions for how to install FW. I also received confusing instructions on how to make adjustments to speed, height, etc. Pasting below. I haven’t proceeded yet as mine seems to work well. Anyone else receive updated FW from hansshow and already done update? Any experiences to share? Not sure I want to test as I have no issues.

To be applied after FW update:
Long press the button of the tailgate . When you hear "beep" for the first time, it is to adjust the height of the door opening. When you hear "beep" for the second time, it is the slowest speed of opening and closing the door. When you hear two consecutive "beep" for the middle speed of opening and closing the door, there will be a "beep" sound. If you choose the middle speed, after hearing this "beep" sound, release your hand, After 5 seconds, press the button of the tail door again to complete the adjustment of the opening and closing speed. The fastest way to open the door is to hear "beep" three times in a row. After that, there will be a "beep" sound. If you choose the middle speed, after hearing the "beep" sound, release your hand, and then press the tail door button five seconds later to complete the adjustment of the opening and closing speed.

Also providing a Dropbox link with the firmware and instructions if you’re interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9mjdbeg8zdu9bo2/AAAtV0i1_mSJ6520s7VhKtdJa?dl=0

Last edited:
I received an updated firmware for the V6 module. It’s in two files that appear to be dated December 15 as well as instructions for how to install FW. I also received confusing instructions on how to make adjustments to speed, height, etc. Pasting below. I haven’t proceeded yet as mine seems to work well. Anyone else receive updated FW from hansshow and already done update? Any experiences to share? Not sure I want to test as I have no issues.

Long press the button of the tailgate . When you hear "beep" for the first time, it is to adjust the height of the door opening. When you hear "beep" for the second time, it is the slowest speed of opening and closing the door. When you hear two consecutive "beep" for the middle speed of opening and closing the door, there will be a "beep" sound. If you choose the middle speed, after hearing this "beep" sound, release your hand, After 5 seconds, press the button of the tail door again to complete the adjustment of the opening and closing speed. The fastest way to open the door is to hear "beep" three times in a row. After that, there will be a "beep" sound. If you choose the middle speed, after hearing the "beep" sound, release your hand, and then press the tail door button five seconds later to complete the adjustment of the opening and closing speed.

Also providing a Dropbox link with the firmware and instructions if you’re interested:

I found the height adjustment doesn’t work

Did they mention any specifics on the improvements with this new firmware? I'm nervous about installing it on my v6 since I'm not really having any problems after we discovered that some of the new behavior is actually intended and the opening height can be set by holding the button down until there are 3 beeps.

Did they mention any specifics on the improvements with this new firmware? I'm nervous about installing it on my v6 since I'm not really having any problems after we discovered that some of the new behavior is actually intended and the opening height can be set by holding the button down until there are 3 beeps.

My thinking is the same as yours; I'm not motivated to update mine as I've had no issues. I had initially written to Hansshow because the instructions described how to adjust settings via the black button on the control module which was clearly a hold-over from older instructions; that button does not exist on the new module. In response, the tech person said he would make an updated firmware so that adjustments such as speed can be made. By then, I had installed my complete unit and it works fine as is. If anyone decides to give it a go, please post back here.

Depends on your version. V4 and above have a canbus connector. As such, the screen does not show open and close over and over.

I got mine installed 3 months ago, so I believe it actually has V5 (which is for installers only and that's why they went to V6 in the latest update). Ill check again but I believe mine definitely does the nonstop open and close, which isn't a huge deal

Their response regarding email versions:
The only different is the cables, V4 is DIY cables, they are more easy to install. V5 is plug and play version. They are more difficult
to install than V4 .

I got mine installed 3 months ago, so I believe it actually has V5 (which is for installers only and that's why they went to V6 in the latest update). Ill check again but I believe mine definitely does the nonstop open and close, which isn't a huge deal

Their response regarding email versions:
The only different is the cables, V4 is DIY cables, they are more easy to install. V5 is plug and play version. They are more difficult
to install than V4 .

I think you have to time hitting the screen button to close, is that correct? Strange, I thought the Canbus wire addition solved that. Oh well, it works :)

I think you have to time hitting the screen button to close, is that correct? Strange, I thought the Canbus wire addition solved that. Oh well, it works :)

yep you have to time it, but its not terribly difficult. Im surprised an update hasn't come out from Hansshow to utilize the code for the built in powered liftgate found on newer model 3s. Maybe its locked behind the software

Just confirming that the firmware I linked in post #487 is only for V6 module according to Hansshow. Since I am not having issues with original FW, I am not updating for now. I asked Hansshow if there is any specific advantage as to why I would do it now. Waiting on response.

Does the v6 power strut still rub against the weather stripping when it's closing? Hansshow's rep is telling me the strut is thinner compare to the older version. I'm wondering if it resolves the issue with the older version is tearing the weather strip with trunk closing motion. Thanks