Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow vs Tesla Offer Power Frunk/Trunk - which one to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I thought I saw that Tesla Offer's struts also contact the weather stripping and may also cause issues with it. Perhaps less so but I wasn't convinced one was better than the other. This is where Tesla Offer compare the two though in case anyone wants to watch it, at 1m 24s

I have Hansshow on an '18 M3 and it barely touches the weatherstripping. I think it's much wider on newer M3's.

I'm not sure if it will work but the hope was that it provides a bit of friction reduction and therefore lessening the wear. It won't change the fact that contact is made but hopefully helps reduce physical wear. But as you noted, GummiPflege is good stuff for seal maintenance in general so doesn't hurt.

Have you tried putting some ceramic coating on the strut casing for additional glide? If you do, watch the strut/weather seal contact before applying and after to see if it glides better after.

I have Hansshow on an '18 M3 and it barely touches the weatherstripping. I think it's much wider on newer M3's.
Are you sure? You can only really see it if you watch from an awkward angle as the trunk closes, or you close it manually so it stops half way and you can inspect. Typically no-one would ever see it was happening during normal motorized usage, but they would see the damage if it happened.

Now that both my TeslaOffer trunk (v2.5) and frunk kits (Mk3) have been installed and I've had a chance to use them I thought I'd give an update going back to the original post topic of TeslaOffer vs Hansshow. During this time I've been keeping my eyes on the most recent Hansshow kit as well so thought I'd mention some additional info based observations of the TeslaOffer kit and info from the Hansshow install thread.

TRUNK KIT

CONTENTS - Hansshow includes a couple items the TeslaOffer does not such as a short fishing wire, a pry tool, and some electrical tape. This is great for someone planning on DIY but if you are really that DIYer, you likely have all these things already. If you're not a DIYer and decide to hire someone to install, then having these tools included makes no difference. I was lucky I already had all of these install supplies. Hansshow includes 2 replacement clips for the panel on the trunk lid, TeslaOffer includes 6. These are super handy to have because you will likely break a couple when you pull the panel off. I ended up replacing 3. Both kits provide zipties, double sided tape and a drill bit for mounting the button. Overall, tie.

STRUT - Posts on the Hansshow installation thread and other independent YouTube videos confirmed the problem with the full aluminum struts used by Hansshow. There are documented issues with the strut causing physical abrasion marks weather seal. I have not seen anything about whether this constant friction point will cause a failure in the seal but it certainly doesn't look like it's harmless. The TeslaOffer strut is a totally different design using a silicone/rubber sleeve instead of the aluminum. It also does contact the weather seal but it is soft material on soft material. At least one forum member mentioned that soft on soft vs hard on soft may not make a difference and I don't know the long term answer to this but what I do know is that there are no abrasion marks on my weather seal nor have I seen or read anyone else with weather seal wear and tear with the TeslaOffer kit. Hansshow pointed out that the aluminum strut they use "can work for over 10 years" which I do not doubt but it does cause abrasion to the weather seal and that may be problematic. Although TeslaOffer uses soft material I would think it could also last 10 years - Hansshow disagrees and says the rubber material lasts 1 to 2 years. The key difference is if the weather seal is damaged by the strut by the aluminum housing, it would be easier and cheaper to replace the soft material on the strut vs replacing the weather seal on the car. Overall, TeslaOffer wins.

OEM trunk bumpers - I recently also noticed that in the Hansshow trunk install thread, Hansshow recommends removal of the two spring loaded bumpers located on the extreme inside corners of the trunk lid whereas TeslaOffer recommends not touching these. The Hansshow kit comes with 2 cosmetic covers to cover up the hole after the spring loaded bumper is removed. It appears that these spring loaded bumpers create preloaded tension on the trunk lid when closed and therefore improves the trunk lid's stability. Some have speculated these spring loaded bumpers are only for helping the trunklid pop up when unlocked and therefore unneeded when you have power struts doing that work. Although that may be a function, I believe it is not the sole function. If Tesla wanted to have it function solely to pop the trunk up, they could have done this with one single centrally mounted spring bumper rather than two at the very corners. Therefore I believe there is another reason to have these spring loaded bumpers and removing these may have a detrimental impact. There are also two other bumpers (non springloaded) that Hansshow recommends adjusting down which again TeslaOffer does not. Again these appear to enhance trunk lid stability. I've contemplated why Hansshow makes these recommendations and assume it's either their solution for having a quieter latch/unlatch process and/or their latch motor may not handle the extra resistance caused by these 4 resistance points. I much prefer leaving these alone as designed by Tesla. Overall, TeslaOffer wins.

CANBUS - lots has been mentioned about this but for both companies they now have a connection to the CANBUS for safety reasons. Hansshow was slow to adopt this and previously claimed tapping would void warranty and later clarified that if one of the CAN wires was cut, it would void warranty. TeslaOffer previously tapped the CANBUS signals using positaps but now uses a plug and play connector. As the old version of the TeslaOffer kit used positap there was never a situation of actually cutting the CANBUS wires. This whole CANBUS issue is no longer an issue since both are using plug and play connectors. Although at time of writing, Hansshow does not have a pre-2019 connector and when asked by a customer recently with a 2018 car, Hansshow suggested tapping the wire. I am sure they will have the proper connector soon if not already. The jury is still out on whether the connection to the CANBUS does anything on the Hansshow kit as a recent installer did not notice a difference whether connected or not (maybe he didn't test it properly). I can say that with the TeslaOffer trunk kit, you can not open the trunk with the fob, phone app, or any other way when the car is in Drive. I tested this in my driveway when the car was in Drive and fully stopped in Hold mode. Overall, tie as both should work.

PRICE - Hansshow is definitely less. Furthermore, they are more negotiable on price so if you contact them they are willing to bend. This is great if you're a good negotiator. Personally, I don't like when companies have a wide variation of pricepoints and think its more fair if they just average things out and give everyone the same price otherwise the good negotiators gain at the expense of the others. Also for customer relations, people feel bad when they hear someone else got a much better deal. Companies like Apple and Tesla are generally, 'here's our price, buy it if you think it's fair' which I personally like. But this is just preference. On purely dollars spent, Hansshow wins.

FRUNK KIT

Appears to be less difference between the kits here. Functionally, they both open/close the frunk from the screen/fob/app/etc. TeslaOffer has an additional optional way to close the frunk using a homelink device but I think it's an unnecessary option. Mine just opens/closes using frunk icon on the screen which is the same as the Hansshow kit. The biggest noticeable difference is the approach in waterproofing the control box since the frunk control box is mounted in a location that is susceptible to water. In earlier versions, both companies simply recommended that you contain the control box in the anti-static shipping bag to keep water away. Personally, I didn't think this was a very good solution. Hansshow was first out of the gate with a solution to this issue - an accordion shaped rubber/silicone sleeve in place of the anti-static bag. Much better than before. TeslaOffer took a bit longer and honestly I thought they were going to do the exact same solution. Instead, they redesigned the enclosure entirely to make it waterproof. It also incorporates a new wiring harness with a single connector compared to the previous multiple cables with multiple ports. Much better solution in my opinion. The sdcard slot is also housed behind a rubber seal. Winner TeslaOffer

CONCLUSION

Overall the win goes to TeslaOffer and, for me at least, the price difference has value. Regardless of which you choose, look at as many comparisons as possible before you decide. Seems to me Hansshow is the VHS and TeslaOffer is the Beta (for those of you more mature in age that know what I'm talking about). Lastly, regardless of choice install it (or have it installed) properly for the long run. Don't run strut cables through tail light mounting holes, through newly drilled holes, or under seals - use existing holes such as the ones where the blue grommets are. Even if you live in a dry climate and not worried about rain, I assume you wash you car occasionally so spend the extra effort (or money) to do it properly.

I won't quote the last post for the wall of text but great read and good write-up thanks! Appreciate it!!!

You made it through the wall of text without falling asleep? I read this to my kids as their bedtime story and they're knocked out after the first paragraph.

Although the OP has made some excellent points and provided an unbiased review, as a purchaser, we don't know how good these products are in the long run or if the electronics will fail. It's best to enjoy the product for it's lifetime whichever product is chosen.

I also believe HD-DVD vs Bluray is a more up to date comparison than Betamax vs VHS.

• Funny
Reactions: Thumpernator
Saw the report that Tesla is going to make a power trunk upgrade for the model 3, Elon Musk: Tesla to install power trunk for free after plea from wheelchair user - Electrek in at least one case, thus Tesla will have then power trunks on all their cars. Whether Musk actually decides to make it available as a DIY kit or as an installation in a TesIa workshop is a matter for conjecture; my guess is that will be available in a year and cost installed in Tesla workshop for 1200. Of course expensive but warranty is still valid.

How does this affect the private add-on market?

Saw the report that Tesla is going to make a power trunk upgrade for the model 3, Elon Musk: Tesla to install power trunk for free after plea from wheelchair user - Electrek in at least one case, thus Tesla will have then power trunks on all their cars. Whether Musk actually decides to make it available as a DIY kit or as an installation in a TesIa workshop is a matter for conjecture; my guess is that will be available in a year and cost installed in Tesla workshop for 1200. Of course expensive but warranty is still valid.

How does this affect the private add-on market?

Shouldn’t jump to conclusions, just based on that one tweet from Elon. It didn’t say that the upgrade would be a Tesla product, or even anything other than a one-off.

Bruce.

Reactions: towndrunk
What are recommendations before bringing in your car for service or warranty for these two kits? Im getting a Hansshow installed in September but worried about all the warranty comments in this post:
Elon says Tesla will install a power lift gate at no cost for wheelchair user. : teslamotors

Even with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, Id rather not get on the bad side of Tesla and would like to prevent any potential pushback from them if it means disconnecting/replacing certain things before bringing it in

I'm guessing different SCs will have different tolerances. General rule of thumb is that the modification must be directly attributable to a problem for them to deny warranty. So for example, if you have problems with your brakes, it would be very unlikely they'd deny your warranty as these two systems are unrelated. However, if your trunk lid was making noises, they could fault the power trunk kit. This would be more so if your trunk kit requires removal of oem parts (like the spring loaded bumpers) that may have an important function.

I'm guessing different SCs will have different tolerances. General rule of thumb is that the modification must be directly attributable to a problem for them to deny warranty. So for example, if you have problems with your brakes, it would be very unlikely they'd deny your warranty as these two systems are unrelated. However, if your trunk lid was making noises, they could fault the power trunk kit. This would be more so if your trunk kit requires removal of oem parts (like the spring loaded bumpers) that may have an important function.

yeah, I'll just have to be selective on when to bring in my car for service. If its a problem related to the frunk or trunk Ill either get it repaired at a different place or if its substantial enough, remove the entire system.

Has anyone gotten the Hansshow foot sensor for the frunk? How are their foot sensors in general? A lot of false positives? I read awhile back that people have had it pop open while driving slowly over a speed bump

yeah, I'll just have to be selective on when to bring in my car for service. If its a problem related to the frunk or trunk Ill either get it repaired at a different place or if its substantial enough, remove the entire system.

Has anyone gotten the Hansshow foot sensor for the frunk? How are their foot sensors in general? A lot of false positives? I read awhile back that people have had it pop open while driving slowly over a speed bump

Good strategy on the service aspect. Hopefully there's no need to remove the kit as that would be a pain in the neck but better than being denied warranty. If you have an issue, could always just walk into the SC and ask a generic question about power frunk/trunk and warranty just to feel them out. That may give you a better idea on the need to remove.

False positives on a foot sensor would be super annoying. Wild guess here but if you are in D and fully stopped, see if you can open frunk with the app or fob (if you have one). If you can't, my guess is that the foot sensor won't trigger a false positive over a speed bump or similar. I tested my TeslaOffer kit and it can not be opened with fob, app unless in P.

Reactions: ranova