Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weirdly enough, I was thinking about that the other day on my commute. It would be a solid prank for someone to modify a car to appear that it was being driven in reverse. I'm sure that would get plenty of good reactions and YouTube hits.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal and extremely dangerous. Not trying to be a debbie downer here but on a highway? No way. Maybe some quiet residential road at low speed... but even then it's confusing and dangerous.

I forgot to share this earlier, the battery code in the VIN is a V for the 90kw pack.

Indeed, the VINs in Europe have an E as well for the 90 kWh battery. My guess is that the E might stand for Extended. Previously we had S for Standard and H for High.
Anyone with a 90D on order that has a W in the VIN? Maybe the W is for the special pack containing the ludicrous hardware since the new fuse and contactors are located inside the pack. They need some way to distinguish between a regular 90 kWh pack and a ludicrous one...

Hmm, I have a P90DL on order in the US and mytesla.com lists the VIN for my car with an E, not a V. Could the E be a placeholder until the car is actually produced?

Weirdly enough, I was thinking about that the other day on my commute. It would be a solid prank for someone to modify a car to appear that it was being driven in reverse. I'm sure that would get plenty of good reactions and YouTube hits.

Been done a million times already.

On CHiPs in the late 70s/early 80s (probably before then as well) and many times since then some do it with a car that been:

a. two front ends welded together
b. chassis rotated 180 on frame (drive drain reversed)
c. second set of controls (can be in combination with a.)
d. do it the hard way and actually drive backwards (maybe even with a transmission change)

Backwards Porsche 928 – Mythbusters Porsche Mod is a more recent project.

Some guy in India has been driving backwards in 2003 when his transmission wouldn't shift. He later had the transmission downgraded/upgraded/changed to be 4 gears reverse, 1 gear forward.

Stuck In Reverse: Indian Man Drives Backwards On Busy Roads

Last edited: