Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy with base Model S 60 with no upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really thinking hard about the premium pack. Even the sales person didn't try very hard to sell me on it.

I did get next gen seats but for $3k I'll lift my own tailgate and have a bit less leather and LEDs inside. A weekend with my friend's lexus really turned me off the concept of a power liftgate anyway.

Also I'm hoping I can retrofit a full-size frunk from an old S since I don't have dual motors or the HEPA filter. Maybe once the warranty expires.

I was really thinking hard about the premium pack. Even the sales person didn't try very hard to sell me on it.

I did get next gen seats but for $3k I'll lift my own tailgate and have a bit less leather and LEDs inside. A weekend with my friend's lexus really turned me off the concept of a power liftgate anyway.

Also I'm hoping I can retrofit a full-size frunk from an old S since I don't have dual motors or the HEPA filter. Maybe once the warranty expires.

That last part is of significant interest. One of my hesitations to "upgrade" is the loss of my full sized frunk with microwave and excellent microwave bag.

Today's Model S frunk is not a frunk. It is a microfrunk. Can't even fit a set of golf clubs therein. Not even for a miniature golf course - think about that for a moment.

I don't need AWD. In the end, I'll probably get both AWD and BDM/HEPA solely because if I'm going to lose the space anyway I might as well maximize the loss. Plus I live in Los Angeles County which entails air quality so poor as to equate with a half-pack of cigarettes a day.

In the end... Harrumph.

That last part is of significant interest. One of my hesitations to "upgrade" is the loss of my full sized frunk with microwave and excellent microwave bag.

Today's Model S frunk is not a frunk. It is a microfrunk. Can't even fit a set of golf clubs therein. Not even for a miniature golf course - think about that for a moment.

I don't need AWD. In the end, I'll probably get both AWD and BDM/HEPA solely because if I'm going to lose the space anyway I might as well maximize the loss. Plus I live in Los Angeles County which entails air quality so poor as to equate with a half-pack of cigarettes a day.

In the end... Harrumph.

Yeah I think my ideal car would've been one of the 375 Unicorns (P85 with AP) but the last time I saw one up for sale it was about 15k more than what I'm paying for a new car.

The S still has tons of cargo volume even without the frunk. With the big frunk it's just unprecedentedly large. Short of a full size suv I can't think of anything that hauls as much as a classic S (and I used to drive a volvo 240). We had 4 people skiing for a week with one and still had room to stop in Germany and buy cases of cheap booze.

Last edited:
Just picked up the car Saturday and drove from Berkeley down to San Diego. We took Route 1 through Big Sur, but i'd recommend topping up in Monterrey. We did a short one there and it would've been a bit less stressful if we'd just sat there for an extra 10 minutes. New car + Twisty road = inefficient driving. We still made it to the next stop with about 8% but I had to sweat it a bit.

No regrets on battery size though. What i realized is that assuming sufficient supercharger density, after your first stop you're basically limited by the charging speed, not battery capacity, and the extra 45 or so miles the 75 gets usually won't get you to another supercharger.

Of course there's going to be some tipping point here but I don't think we would've saved much time with a 90, we might've been able to skip one short top up to make it to Gilroy but if I'd been able to charge overnight I could've skipped that one as well.

Just picked up the car Saturday and drove from Berkeley down to San Diego. We took Route 1 through Big Sur, but i'd recommend topping up in Monterrey. We did a short one there and it would've been a bit less stressful if we'd just sat there for an extra 10 minutes. New car + Twisty road = inefficient driving. We still made it to the next stop with about 8% but I had to sweat it a bit.

No regrets on battery size though. What i realized is that assuming sufficient supercharger density, after your first stop you're basically limited by the charging speed, not battery capacity, and the extra 45 or so miles the 75 gets usually won't get you to another supercharger.

Of course there's going to be some tipping point here but I don't think we would've saved much time with a 90, we might've been able to skip one short top up to make it to Gilroy but if I'd been able to charge overnight I could've skipped that one as well.
Fine, fine, that's all well and good but you left out the most important part: was it awesome? Are you now irredeemably in love? :)