Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I have missed this somewhere in the thread but does anyone know what tape the Carbon Fiber Spoiler uses? If I were to remove the spoiler a month after install (hypothetically) would it damage my paint?

I know that there have been several people who have had to redo their spoilers because incorrect fitment, what did the technician do to remove any leftover tape or residue?

Sorry if I have missed this somewhere in the thread but does anyone know what tape the Carbon Fiber Spoiler uses? If I were to remove the spoiler a month after install (hypothetically) would it damage my paint?

I know that there have been several people who have had to redo their spoilers because incorrect fitment, what did the technician do to remove any leftover tape or residue?
3M automotive molding tape. It won't damage your paint. The techs use heat gun, nylon fishing line, alcohol wipes, and eraser wheels to remove any leftover residues.

Last edited:
3M automotive molding tape. It won't damage your paint. The techs use heat gun, alcohol wipes, and eraser wheels to remove any leftover residues.

Im thinking of using the same tape for my rear end euro plate. The only difference is that since its behind the plate frame, you cant use a heat gun or anything of that sort. I wonder how I would be able to remove the frame if I needed too.

Im thinking of using the same tape for my rear end euro plate. The only difference is that since its behind the plate frame, you cant use a heat gun or anything of that sort. I wonder how I would be able to remove the frame if I needed too.
You can maybe heat up the general area a little. Heat helps to make the adhesive layer softer and more pliable, thus easier to remove. I forgot to mention also nylon fishing line as one of the tools (or dental floss if you are in a pinch).

Finally got mine in San Diego! Had an appointment for something else and asked about spoilers, they finally had one. So add the "you will be contacted" line to the bullshit list.

I had to have my detailer install it cuz ceramic coat. No gaps on the edges, but the it does sit above the trunk lid quite a bit (i would say 5mm or so). But there's no gap there, seems more like just how it's designed to sit + the tape. I'm not too worried about it, but interested if people think theirs is better

20190517_180928.jpg 20190517_180933.jpg 20190517_180939.jpg 20190517_180943.jpg

Finally got mine in San Diego! Had an appointment for something else and asked about spoilers, they finally had one. So add the "you will be contacted" line to the bullshit list.

I had to have my detailer install it cuz ceramic coat. No gaps on the edges, but the it does sit above the trunk lid quite a bit (i would say 5mm or so). But there's no gap there, seems more like just how it's designed to sit + the tape. I'm not too worried about it, but interested if people think theirs is better

View attachment 409151 View attachment 409152 View attachment 409153 View attachment 409154

Not sure why people thought this wasn't the case. They certainly arent notifying everyone. TBH I wish I didn't take the proactive step and run into the issues I did.

By the way anyone having issues getting in contact since a week ago? It seems like ever since the recent issues with finances and announcements that suddenly all communication has stopped. It's been a week since the mobile service guy attempted the install but the spoiler didn't fit and no communication

View attachment 409151 View attachment 409152 View attachment 409153 View attachment 409154

Since Tesla didn’t install it...will they replace it if it starts to lift? I was initially thinking of installing it myself, but with all the fitment issues. I’m just going to have them install it.

I too was waiting to be contacted. Majority of posts here were from west coast people. Once I saw a couple on the east coast post they got it. I contacted Tesla service and was told they aren’t being stocked with them yet, but are available upon request. So now I’m waiting to set up my appointment once they get mine in.

I took delivery on 5/17 in Orlando. Spoiler and badge were both installed. Spoiler was perfect, but in the rush to get me out of there, the DS spent literally 5 minutes going over the car, taping the glass with her long fake nails (I was afraid of her nails scratching the screen)

Since Tesla didn’t install it...will they replace it if it starts to lift? I was initially thinking of installing it myself, but with all the fitment issues. I’m just going to have them install it.

I too was waiting to be contacted. Majority of posts here were from west coast people. Once I saw a couple on the east coast post they got it. I contacted Tesla service and was told they aren’t being stocked with them yet, but are available upon request. So now I’m waiting to set up my appointment once they get mine in.

They of course will, but the question is will they charge me for it and how much. For example I also just replaced my T logo badges front and back due to paint chipping (I have them painted red).

I had no choice but for not Tesla to install it due to the ceramic coating. So we will just have to see. Since the initial installation was good I probably can make the case it was the warped part but I expect a fight.

They of course will, but the question is will they charge me for it and how much. For example I also just replaced my T logo badges front and back due to paint chipping (I have them painted red).

I had no choice but for not Tesla to install it due to the ceramic coating. So we will just have to see. Since the initial installation was good I probably can make the case it was the warped part but I expect a fight.
I polished off the ceramic coating at the trunk lid edge myself, since I had all of the paint correction equipment, before letting Tesla install the spoiler. But I'm sure you could ask your detailer to do it for you before the spoiler install.

You should have read my post before. Expect for them not to warranty it at all. I had to fight hard for a 1 time exemption just for them to give me a replacement (that replacement did not fit by the way and I'm, still waiting for them to get back to me, tech wouldn't even install it.)

Expect for it to get worse to given the cash issues Tesla is facing

I took delivery on 5/17 in Orlando. Spoiler and badge were both installed. Spoiler was perfect, but in the rush to get me out of there, the DS spent literally 5 minutes going over the car, taping the glass with her long fake nails (I was afraid of her nails scratching the screen)

That's par for the course. I've found people at the service center leaning on my car when I went to pick it up.

Proactively reached out to Rocklin Service Center again by the Tesla app and they called me a day or two later saying that they had a new batch of spoilers arrive (not updated parts, just more: M3 Rear Spoiler, Carbon 1455166-00-A according to the work order).

I decided to give it a shot and the mobile tech came this past Friday with 5 spoilers. 2 of them were pretty good, 3 were not good at all. This was better than my first go round where out of the 6 spoilers none of them fit well.

I had them install the best one and have had supplemental tape on the trunk since Friday afternoon. I parked the car in the sun the day of the install and pulled it in at night. I haven't removed the tape yet (it has been raining and the Tesla is not my daily), but I'm hoping that all is well when I remove the tape later today. I'll post pics when I do.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Proactively reached out to Rocklin Service Center again by the Tesla app and they called me a day or two later saying that they had a new batch of spoilers arrive (not updated parts, just more: M3 Rear Spoiler, Carbon 1455166-00-A according to the work order).

I decided to give it a shot and the mobile tech came this past Friday with 5 spoilers. 2 of them were pretty good, 3 were not good at all. This was better than my first go round where out of the 6 spoilers none of them fit well.

I had them install the best one and have had supplemental tape on the trunk since Friday afternoon. I parked the car in the sun the day of the install and pulled it in at night. I haven't removed the tape yet (it has been raining and the Tesla is not my daily), but I'm hoping that all is well when I remove the tape later today. I'll post pics when I do.

About how far does the spoiler sit above the trunk surface in the center?

mine certainly isn't flush, but doesn't have a gap either.

@is2scooby,

I thought 00-A was the updated spoiler? What’s the latest serial number? Wow. So 2 out of 11 spoilers fit OK?! NOT a good percentage/track record.

Ski