Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone actually had someone else take delivery???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a common question is 'can I transfer my reservation'? The answer is no, so let's move on.

However, my brother would love to take delivery of the car and drive off into the sunset, but the reservation is in my name. My OA from my Model S purchase just told me as long as I'm there, my brother can register the car in his name and do financing in his own name as well. Has anyone ACTUALLY done this yet? I'd love to hear any examples I can work off of.
Thanks!

Plenty of people, yes. My sister is taking delivery of my first Model 3 reservation. We've already filled out the online paperwork in her name. I'll be there, but only because we're going on roadtrip when she picks it up. :)

This makes me seriously consider just bribing someone ahead of me in line who isn't going to order straight away… sigh. But I'm sure there are people out there who'd pay wayyyyyyy more than I would, so it's probably moot.

Down to Redondo Beach. Not sure which route she'll want to take. :)
If you use ABetterRoutePlanner, it will route you 5/405 as the fastest route with SuC stops at Kettleman and Tejon. Figure about 5.5 hours for travel and 30 minutes total at SuC for a total of 6 hours total time. Figure about $9 total for the cost at SuC. Easy peasy.

Anyone in the LA/Long Beach area want to join me to welcome Bonnie and sister to SoCal?

If you use ABetterRoutePlanner, it will route you 5/405 as the fastest route with SuC stops at Kettleman and Tejon. Figure about 5.5 hours for travel and 30 minutes total at SuC for a total of 6 hours total time. Figure about $9 total for the cost at SuC. Easy peasy.

Anyone in the LA/Long Beach area want to join me to welcome Bonnie and sister to SoCal?
We've done the drive in my Roadster a few times and many times in other vehicles - the scenic route has some appeal :). My sis lives in Redondo, so she'll fly up to take delivery at the factory and I'll meet her there. This time she's in charge of the planning, I'm just her co-pilot. The good news is that she's roadtripped with me in the Roadster and also in the X. She learned a lot about maximizing range when we took the Roadster - no supercharging available. She's familiar with autopilot already and the UI on the X. So a lot of the basic stuff (and more) is already covered.
And I'm sure she'd love to show off her new 3. Now we just need to get a date from Tesla for delivery :).

Reactions: pilotSteve
We've done the drive in my Roadster a few times and many times in other vehicles - the scenic route has some appeal :).
Yes, the 101/405 route is the scenic one but will add about an hour to the trip. SuC stops would be at Atascadero and Buellton. I lived in San Luis Obispo for 37 years. Drive through town on Higuera street to view some of my handy work. If you have never taken the Cachuma Pass road from Buellton to Santa Barbara, you should do that for spectacular scenery.

What color is Sis ordering? This is like early Christmas for me! I was talking to my wife tonight about the U.I. on the model 3. She has become dependent on the primitive TACC on her Prius. I was telling her about all the new EAP features on the Tesla U.I. that will make her driving even more fun and relaxing. She is 100% onboard with the Tesla 3.........and she is insisting on Pearl White with white interior, says it will go well with her hair color. :eek:

• Helpful
Reactions: boiler81
Lhshockey24, definitely plan to be there with your brother. The 3 will be for me, not sure how we will take title yet, but I think my husband will be as excited to pick it up as me and we'll both be there for delivery. We haven't configured yet but was wondering for those in the Bay Area who have, do you get a choice of delivery locations like we did on his S?

Yes, the 101/405 route is the scenic one but will add about an hour to the trip. SuC stops would be at Atascadero and Buellton. I lived in San Luis Obispo for 37 years. Drive through town on Higuera street to view some of my handy work. If you have never taken the Cachuma Pass road from Buellton to Santa Barbara, you should do that for spectacular scenery. ....

In August we made a trip down 101 to Lake Cahuma to visit a friend. It was a couple of weeks after Scenic Rt 154 was reopened after the fires; we had been down there the day after they broke out too. Was sad to see mile after mile of blackened and scorched vegetation and of course in light of the fires now in southern Calif in populated areas a frightening reminder of how massive these fires can be. Might not be the most picturesque time to visit via that route, but I bet a lot of vegetation has come back. If you're headed that way around lunch there are some great sandwich shops in Santa Ynez if you want to pick up something and lunch at the picnic tables around Lake Cachuma Recreational area, very short drive from there. Really nice Nature Center if you want to stretch your legs for a bit at the same time. The drive down 154 into Santa Barbara offers a spectacular view, also love the 101 ocean view as you go from San Luis Obisbo down to Pismo Beach, so a lot to be said for that trip and the scenery. I will say though that the 5 and stopping at Kettleman City SuperChargers for the first time would be a bigger attraction for me at this point :D. Right now regardless of route there's the fire in the Ventura/Ojai area near 101 to account for and other LA area fires as well. Will have to say the one thing I wish the 3 had was bio defense. Used it often back in July traveling past the fires then.

We had a P100D on our last trip down there and the extra range from our 75D was nice. The LR 3 now is comparable to the 100's range so that's really great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lhshockey24
neptune2000,

Also just said 4 weeks. Until I saw the most recent version of the tax bill, I had some concern the EV credit might go away if I didn't get delivery this year. Now that's probably off the table, I'm fine with a later delivery i.e. Jan or Feb.

Would be annoying to pay 4K for premium upgrades I'm not sure about if regular deliveries would come out only a few weeks later. In San Diego, rear heated seats aren't so useful.

The person I called at Tesla said I should hear back from them about a 7-10 days after my invite which was Dec 8th, so I'll just wait for now.

I also note there are at least 70 people ahead of me on just the google sheets spreadsheet tracker.

The Model 3 is also for my wife, her Leaf was hit by another driver and totaled about a month ago and fortunately no injuries. She's driving my Accord PHEV for now (effective 10 mile EV range) 50 MPG, but will be nice to being gas free for the whole family again.

If I had to venture a realistic date for my delivery based on the fact that only 1 car has been delivered to a non employee I'm aware of, I would think around Feb 28th.

It took Tesla over 90 days to transfer my temporary title on my CPO Model S. The tags actually expired and I had to stop driving it for a week or two so it wouldn't surprise me if they also have some back office process issues to work through.

neptune2000,

Also just said 4 weeks. Until I saw the most recent version of the tax bill, I had some concern the EV credit might go away if I didn't get delivery this year. Now that's probably off the table, I'm fine with a later delivery i.e. Jan or Feb.

Would be annoying to pay 4K for premium upgrades I'm not sure about if regular deliveries would come out only a few weeks later. In San Diego, rear heated seats aren't so useful.

The person I called at Tesla said I should hear back from them about a 7-10 days after my invite which was Dec 8th, so I'll just wait for now.

I also do not care about heated back seats. What number at Tesla did you call? (888) 51-TESLA or (888) 518-3752?

When I purchased my Model S, I traded in a Fiat 500 Abarth with a Carmax quote that Tesla honored 100%. I hope I will be able to do the same with my wife Hyundai Elantra.

I also do not care about heated back seats. What number at Tesla did you call? (888) 51-TESLA or (888) 518-3752?

When I purchased my Model S, I traded in a Fiat 500 Abarth with a Carmax quote that Tesla honored 100%. I hope I will be able to do the same with my wife Hyundai Elantra.

Don't remember which number I called, but I went through the menu and spoke to a person after a few minutes.
She didn't have anything new to add to what I can see online and mentioned the 7-10 day timeline.

From an accounting perspective, I would think they would want to deliver as many as possible by the 12/31/17 deadline to show GAAP earnings boost and increase their receivables vs just holding deposits. A receivable position of 50K looks a lot better than a 1K-3.5K deposit.

But wait, I do recall when I bought my Model S CPO, that they backdated the transaction to 3/31/17 even though they didn't deliver until mid June so there could be some shenanigans going on in the CPO back office. Hopefully for Tesla's sake that won't happen with Model 3 deliveries as the last thing anyone wants is an SEC investigation on revenue recognition.