Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone asked a hotel/B&B to install a HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@David29: I'm on the fence about pushing Tesla HPWC's at destinations. While I would selfishly want one, from the innkeeper's perspective he can serve more than Tesla owners by installing a NEMA 14-50 (I *think* Leaf and Volt owners can get an adapter).

Not a standard LEAF thing. And 240V portable EVSE's are all over the map, they can be 6-20 or 6-30 or 14-50.

A LEAF owner (of which I'm one) would have had to have the forethought of not getting a permanent, or 6-20, or 6-30 EVSE initially, otherwise they won't just have a 14-50 EVSE lying around. I'd be shocked if even 5% of current LEAF owners is currently able to use a 14-50 without having to buy new equipment, or knowing they'd have to buy new equipment.

And Nissan dealers don't push or advise 14-50 in any way. I doubt they even know what it is. The dealer I bought the Leaf from last month didn't even know what J1772 or Chademo was - Nissan uses different terms for these. ('Charger' or 'Charging Dock', and 'Fast Charger' or 'DC Charger').

If a innkeeper really wants to support multiple vehicles, he needs to have a J1772 outlet. Not a 14-50.

Not a standard LEAF thing. And 240V portable EVSE's are all over the map, they can be 6-20 or 6-30 or 14-50.

A LEAF owner (of which I'm one) would have had to have the forethought of not getting a permanent, or 6-20, or 6-30 EVSE initially, otherwise they won't just have a 14-50 EVSE lying around. I'd be shocked if even 5% of current LEAF owners is currently able to use a 14-50 without having to buy new equipment, or knowing they'd have to buy new equipment.

And Nissan dealers don't push or advise 14-50 in any way. I doubt they even know what it is. The dealer I bought the Leaf from last month didn't even know what J1772 or Chademo was - Nissan uses different terms for these. ('Charger' or 'Charging Dock', and 'Fast Charger' or 'DC Charger').

If a innkeeper really wants to support multiple vehicles, he needs to have a J1772 outlet. Not a 14-50.

Tesla understands this, and offers a 32 Amp, Clipper Creed, J-1772, in addition to an HPWC or two in most Destination Charging deals.

In the past week, I stayed at NYLO near DFW that had two HPWC's and a 32-Amp J-1772, and at The Inn and Spa at Loretto in Santa Fe, NM that had an HPWC and a 32-Amp, J-1772. Both of these hotels were beneficiaries of the Tesla Destination program.

It's an uncommon Leaf owner who would drive the car far enough that they would need to stay overnight. Tesla tourism is at least an order of magnitude more common than Leaf tourism. Ditto for the i3.