Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone found a product to stop people from pulling the manual open Tesla keeps track how mandoor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the manual open door release is a big fail for the engineers. They placed it right where most door handles are located. I bought some little stickers that says “open door” on the door button. Still, it doesn’t stop anyone from pulling the manual opener. And I am sure that lever is monitored and counted by Tesla in case anyone tries to bring in to get Their door fixed under warranty.

Has anyone seen any product that limit or dissuade anyone from using that manual lever? I am thinking of trying to find some hard rubber to cut and wedge between the door the the padded arm rest, placing near or on top of the handle

• Funny
Reactions: Rottenapplr
I believe just letting your friends how to open the door properly would be the easiest :) I usually show people how to open it from the inside right after a demonstration of how to open it from the outside... ;)

Look for Model 3 window button decals. They’re all over amazon, Etsy, etc. It’s a little sticker that looks like a door opening you can put on that button.
3CD5DDA3-5B3A-4B4F-A9F4-2CBCD860C8A3.png

Ok. I’ve always wondered about this issue.

For the first month or so I didn’t even know the manual latch even existed.

Then I saw threads about the manual latch not dropping the window and being bad to use. So I thought to myself I must have smart friends and co workers because I assumed they always used the button. But I never had an issue.

So after 8 months I finally got to give my 87 year old mom for a ride. She’s in good shape and gets herself out fine (she’s quick to). Then before I shut the door I asked her how she opened it. And she showed me the manual handle. Ugh. But the window was down as normal.

So I never wanted to test the manual handle worried I’d not be able to shut the door safely with the window up. I just finally tried opening the drivers door with emergency handle and the window goes down fine with the manual handle or button just fine.

Did Tesla fix something (16.2) or am I missing something? Or are some cars broken?

That’s interesting. I wonder if the power is on if it makes any difference which method you use?

I don't know. but 99.9% of the time when people are getting out the "power is on". But yeah, if someone is in passenger seat and car is closed up it can shutdown. And if they tried then maybe it doesn't.

I'm sure some passengers have used that handle in the past. I never remembered to tell anyone to not use that. A few asked, how do I get out. But I never had an issue.

This whole thing seems a little blown out of proportion. Maybe there are corner cases like you suggested.
I'm not gonna worry about it or order stickers ;)

My guess is that the button gives ample time for the window to drop first before unlatching the door, whereas the manual latch directly unlatches the door and the window is dropped as quickly as possible when that's detected.

I've had about an even mix of people using the manual latch, button, and ones who can't even figure out how to open the door.

My guess is that the button gives ample time for the window to drop first before unlatching the door, whereas the manual latch directly unlatches the door and the window is dropped as quickly as possible when that's detected.
Yep, exactly. Using the manual opener doesn't automatically damage anything, but there is a chance that the door opens before the window is down if someone pulls the lever while pushing the door. The button prevents that.

And I am sure that lever is monitored and counted by Tesla in case anyone tries to bring in to get Their door fixed under warranty.
Monitored how? It's a physical latch. It's BS people can't figure out how to open the door. The C6 Vette has an unlabeled button on the door panel to open to door - I never hear anyone complaining about issues opening those doors.

If it's a big deal for some then switch panel wraps that cover the manual release seems a good route to go.

• Love
Reactions: Goodtohave