Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had to install a charger with a less than ideal breaker panel location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My breaker for the house is over on the side wall circled red and my garage windows are circled in orange. There is not a single 240v outlet in the entire house, water heater and dryer are both gas. Anyone got a rough idea what kind of pain in the ass/money burning this project will cost?
View attachment 838944
I just had mine installed. My breaker panel is on the opposite corner of my house from the garage, so my electrician had to run conduit along the side of my house, then go through the wall into a crawl space, then into the garage. Total distance is about 70 feet. I had him install a 60 amp breaker. Like others have said, the Wall charger does not need a neutral wire. cost me $1000

Around me, I was quoted $1k- $1500 for a 50A 14-50 install. 16ft from panel to outlet. Told them it was fot a compressor, but wanted to future proof it should someone want to put a charger in later. Had them quote me for 6/3 copper.
The one electrician I was going to use didn't change his bid when I told him 60A to a Tesla Wall connector. So at least I know they weren't charging a "Tesla Tax".
In the end, went with a friend of a friend who works for a large electric company. $700 total including 30ft of 6/3 copper. Used about 24 ft of it. He said it's running them about $6/ft currently.
We put it in the wall, and I did the sheet rock work afterwards.