Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone posted updated 1/4 mile times since 5% update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
I'm heading to the drag strip with my P3D this weekend for the first time so I don't have any way to compare it. Based solely on how the motors sound now it seems like the HP bump might be pretty even long the power curve. In the high 11 second range a 20-22hp bump is worth what, 2 tenths tops?

Lucas English (English Racing) shared a 1/4 mile drag race between two M3 Performance cars at Portland International Raceway on his FB page the other day. One had older software and the other the +5% performance code. The difference in mid-range was very noticeable in a side by side quarter mile drag race. Updated SW = 11.79 @ 114.25, Old SW = 11.95 @ 112.06.

Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI opened yesterday, and I headed out today, despite the cold temps and wind.

Conditions: ~36 degrees and a steady 15 mph headwind, gusting to about 20.

My car's software was just updated, but I never got the chance to run it before the update. Also, I'm still on my winter tires - Michelin Pilot Alpins in the OEM 235/35/20 size.

Made 10 passes in less than an hour :)

SOC for my first run was 92%.
SOC for my last run was 79%

First thing I'll comment on is that this car would be the ideal bracket racer - SO consistent and easy.

Second thing is that nobody beat me to the timing lights.

I ran next to a wide variety of cars, including multiple Dodge SRTs (no Hellcats - there was one running, but we just were never lined up together), a tuned Pontiac G8 that sounded AWESOME, a BMW 335xi, an E60 M5 AND an F10 M5 and an LS-something last-gen Camaro that turned out to be all bark and not much bite..

I had multiple thumbs-up from spectators and other drivers after many of my runs - I don't think anybody expected to see 11s out of this car, but that's what it ran, every pass.

Results:
None of the Dodges were close.

The G8 sounded typically "Murrican V-8 bombastic" and was clearly tuned and running drag radials. All for nought - drubbed him by about 1 second both times. Driver was cool though - after the first run we ended up lined up next to each other in the staging lanes and he rolled his window down and said "That was awesome! I had no idea the Model 3 was so fast! Have you done anything to it" When I replied that it was dead stock and on winter tires, he said - "Wow I might have to go get one of those!" :D

The E60 M5s burnouts and runs sounded absolutely epic - the V10 doing its patented wailing thing all the while. Regardless, with RWD and a 6-speed manual, he never stood a chance. (don't get me wrong - he still ran 12.5xxx, which is fantastic for that car, but he was never close to me)

The F10 M5 driver actually called me out, driving over to where I was parked between runs and shouting out his window: - "Let's go, Tesla! - I'm running about what you've been running, too - should be close!" In typical drag-racing fashion, the run proved that drivers are (mostly) liars. He ran a quicker ET than me, but he left a bit late, meaning I beat him by a bit over a tenth even though he was going 10 mph faster through the lights. Oddly, he didn't call me out again after that... ;)

So then - the $64,000 question - Wottdidsherun?!?!

Best was 11.756 @ 113.02 - not the 11.5 or 11.6 I was hoping for, but considering the conditions, not bad at all.
60 ft time on that run was 1.763, with the 1/8th mile at 7.449 @ 93.08 mph.
enhance

Looking at the timeslips that have been posted at Dragtimes.com, Fast Tesla Model-3s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

...my 60' is easily the quickest of those, and I ran quicker than 1.8 60 foot on 8 of the 10 runs, so the power seems to be there. Take away the headwind and I think it might run a high 11.5 to a mid 11.6, IMO.

Overall, I had a great time, and it was good to have multiple positive gestures and comments even at a classic American dragstrip.

Can't wait to get back there on a warmer day, without the headwind and on my new lighter summer wheels and OEM tires.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a blast. Congrats and looking forward to better times. I think a few 10ths are in the launch and hopefully Tesla will allow a bit more at some point in the immediate future. I remember something about multi adjustable track mode??

Sounds like you had a blast. Congrats and looking forward to better times. I think a few 10ths are in the launch and hopefully Tesla will allow a bit more at some point in the immediate future. I remember something about multi adjustable track mode??

Personally, I doubt that there's much more to gain on the launch, given what we know about torque ripple mitigation with the permanent magnet motor, but if anyone can come up with a workaround, I'm sure it's Tesla.

Who was that run against? I don't know if any modern catc that slow, though it's about what my buddy's 1990 Plymouth Voyager wheelchair Van ran when we brought it to the track back in highschool

LOL - no kidding, right?? It was a mid-80s pickup truck. I have no idea why he was running, though there were a couple of newer diesel pickups making runs (and lots of smoke) too... (shrug)

Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI opened yesterday, and I headed out today, despite the cold temps and wind.

Conditions: ~36 degrees and a steady 15 mph headwind, gusting to about 20.

My car's software was just updated, but I never got the chance to run it before the update. Also, I'm still on my winter tires - Michelin Pilot Alpins in the OEM 235/35/20 size.

Made 10 passes in less than an hour :)

SOC for my first run was 92%.
SOC for my last run was 79%

First thing I'll comment on is that this car would be the ideal bracket racer - SO consistent and easy.

Second thing is that nobody beat me to the timing lights.

I ran next to a wide variety of cars, including multiple Dodge SRTs (no Hellcats - there was one running, but we just were never lined up together), a tuned Pontiac G8 that sounded AWESOME, a BMW 335xi, an E60 M5 AND an F10 M5 and an LS-something last-gen Camaro that turned out to be all bark and not much bite..

I had multiple thumbs-up from spectators and other drivers after many of my runs - I don't think anybody expected to see 11s out of this car, but that's what it ran, every pass.

Results:
None of the Dodges were close.

The G8 sounded typically "Murrican V-8 bombastic" and was clearly tuned and running drag radials. All for nought - drubbed him by about 1 second both times. Driver was cool though - after the first run we ended up lined up next to each other in the staging lanes and he rolled his window down and said "That was awesome! I had no idea the Model 3 was so fast! Have you done anything to it" When I replied that it was dead stock and on winter tires, he said - "Wow I might have to go get one of those!" :D

The E60 M5s burnouts and runs sounded absolutely epic - the V10 doing its patented wailing thing all the while. Regardless, with RWD and a 6-speed manual, he never stood a chance. (don't get me wrong - he still ran 12.5xxx, which is fantastic for that car, but he was never close to me)

The F10 M5 driver actually called me out, driving over to where I was parked between runs and shouting out his window: - "Let's go, Tesla! - I'm running about what you've been running, too - should be close!" In typical drag-racing fashion, the run proved that drivers are (mostly) liars. He ran a quicker ET than me, but he left a bit late, meaning I beat him by a bit over a tenth even though he was going 10 mph faster through the lights. Oddly, he didn't call me out again after that... ;)

So then - the $64,000 question - Wottdidsherun?!?!

Best was 11.756 @ 113.02 - not the 11.5 or 11.6 I was hoping for, but considering the conditions, not bad at all.
60 ft time on that run was 1.763, with the 1/8th mile at 7.449 @ 93.08 mph.
enhance

Looking at the timeslips that have been posted at Dragtimes.com, Fast Tesla Model-3s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

...my 60' is easily the quickest of those, and I ran quicker than 1.8 60 foot on 8 of the 10 runs, so the power seems to be there. Take away the headwind and I think it might run a high 11.5 to a mid 11.6, IMO.

Overall, I had a great time, and it was good to have multiple positive gestures and comments even at a classic American dragstrip.

Can't wait to get back there on a warmer day, without the headwind and on my new lighter summer wheels and OEM tires.

Great post . . .thanks! I think we will see ~11.5 or perhaps even 11.4 and 117-118 to perhaps even 119-120 on a hot day with lightweight alloys and 235 tires and no headwind or legal tailwind. You are pushing some pretty dense air out of the way at those temps. Looking forward to hearing an update . . .