Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone purchased a spare UMC to keep in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SuperCoug

Model S Res #7734
Mar 16, 2012
Bothell, WA
I have free 110 EV charging at my office (not very useful from a power perspective but it has a prime reserved parking space) so I assume that I'm going to quickly grow tired to unplugging my UMC in the garage every morning and will opt instead to buy an additional UMC to carry in the car. I believe I read somewhere that they were going to cost $400 which I guess is reasonable considering what you get but overkill for something dedicated to 110 volt charging. I wish they offered a less expensive lightweight 110 volt "travel charger" like the Roadster had.

Has anyone else purchased a second UMC for charging away from home? Is it indeed $400 and is it easy to order?

My goal for the second umc is to build a quick. Plugging/Disconnect solution for the car. I leave here sometimes like a firetruck and get home sometimes like a zombie. The wall mount seems nice but I want a portable solution. I know someone already built one.

Going to take a swing at building one.

• Love
Reactions: tga
Tesla — Model S > Charging and Adapters

Both the UMC and 24' HPWC are $550. You'll spend almost that much building an OpenEVSE kit, and you'll lose the flexibility of the plug adapters and have to use the J1772 adapter all the time. If you buy a second J1772 adapter to leave on the OpenEVSE plug, you'll have spent more than $550.

I bought a factory sealed, new in box gen 2 HPWC on eBay for $450 shipped, so you might have luck there.

Reactions: Hrhkee
I bought a second UMC in my early days of ownership in 2014. I keep it in my car at all times and the other one in my house for charging (HPWCs were 2x the price of UMCs back then). This has made road trips painless and kept down the range anxiety as I always had my cable with me. It has also helped since the UMC has been fairly unreliable. Tesla has replaced 3 for me already but fortunately I always have a spare.