Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so when there is enough "air" to cool the central radiator there is no need for AC to help cool it down
Not sure, maybe when it is super hot outside and you hammer it hard, so the temp dissipation of all power components is very high, then maybe it opens either, who knows..
but when supercharing the air is not enough and AC kicks in at cools the radiator, therefore side louvers should open?
Yes, but only if the temp of the batt is approaching the active cooling target temp and the active cooling is needed. If the battery is cool, it is completely quiet, louvers stays closed.

yes, yes, understood.

my car just sounds like a jet engine when SuCing :)
Same here. Fans sound like a harrier jet taking off under these 3 scenarios on our old S85:

1) Supercharging after a 40+ mile drive on a day that is more than 90F.
2) 15 minutes into Supercharging on a warm day with while the A/C is on (fan noise attenuates after turning the A/C off)
3) Supercharging for more than 40 minutes and above 85% SOC.

I'm still getting a radiator right shutter feedback and active aero error in Service Mode, despite the right and left louvers opening and closing. I've hit Supercharging rates as high as 134kW and I've had one amazing Supercharging session that went from 12%-65% in about 20 minutes...which is usually takes about 30 minutes ever since the 2019 software nerf.

I finally repaired my side louvers. Cars cooling works much better now.

Will write a how-to with pictures tomorrow.
Hi, congrats on your success! I used to have also recircValve and RCCMact with activeAero faults, changed only the recirc valve for some from Ali and not immediately, but after some time all the faults had disappeared...

End of last year I noticed the active aero alert (which means the car will not move the louvers in case of need) but due to space problem (I have no garage to work on the car) I had to postpone fixing this to more suitable weather.

finally the day has come!

I had both front louvers error. The right one I could fix with toolbox 2 but the left one would not work.
So had to remove the bumper, only the left part as I could access the louvers without fully removing the whole bumper.

As @Stivi83it pointed out the louver moves too far thus the "control unit thinks" its broken even thou its not.

1719207252912.png

Close up:

1719207290621.png

Then I drilled 2mm hole and put around 8mm long part of toothpick throw it. I decided for toothpick becaues its still rather soft and can break in case my solution would not work and I dont want to break the motor.

1719207389783.png

1719207415176.png

IT WORKS.
There are no more errors and louvers open at the SuC when needed.

The car is still heavy on the fans but a lot less than with louvers close. Battery temp was kep at ~45° while earlier it could raise almost up to 60°, so defo big improvement.

I wonder how long the toothpick will last or I will just replace it with some smaller screw.

The hardest part was unhooking all the clips under the car due to lack of access, everything else was smooth.