Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bit the bullet and paid for an hour of Toolbox Access today

Found a Louvre Calibration routine - despite all four of them moving, only the RAD louvres would successfully calibrate - the COND ones failed

I was looking for the ‘Louvre Angle Fix’ routine which I’ve seen mentioned on here, but could only find the full calibration entry. Next step I guess is to try to prevent them from opening beyond their expected travel limit and if that doesn’t work then replacement

So...summer is here and higher temps.

As I still did not manage to fix the louvers, Im thinking if it would perhaps be "good" to just remove them and leave access to radiators open for a few days, surely this is better than whole system overheating?

So...summer is here and higher temps.

As I still did not manage to fix the louvers, Im thinking if it would perhaps be "good" to just remove them and leave access to radiators open for a few days, surely this is better than whole system overheating?
I've also considered unplugging the fins and blocking the fins so that they are only half open, so that air can get in but stones can't damage the radiator. However, this means that the water cooler for the engines in the middle gets less air when the car is stationary.

Hmmm....but arent these louvers opened always when car is supercharging?

the middle radiator is there only for the motors? it does not have a fan and is cooled only via air that flows throw it?

sorry, im a bit confused on how the whole system works...

There 2 vents, each in front of the wheel, right behind the AC condenser... and the air enters either from the central opening OR via side louvers... in the central part are 2 flaps that control the amount of air/flow passing throught the water cooler AND leaving throught AC condensers into the wheel archs/fenders... that takes place when you need to cool down battery/engine system... when you turn on the AC, louvers open/midle flaps close and both fans draw air directly...
So in short no, there is no central fan behind the water cooler as it is not needed (and you would need extra air exhaust/exit = which would spoil the aerodynamic efficiency)
ducts.png
photo_2021-06-30_11-27-24-3.jpg
radiator.jpg

Hmmm....but arent these louvers opened always when car is supercharging?

the middle radiator is there only for the motors? it does not have a fan and is cooled only via air that flows throw it?

sorry, im a bit confused on how the whole system works...
The middle cooler is for the cooling water system this cooler does not have its own fan, but is cooled by the 4 flaps.

Last edited:
So the side lovers have nothing to do with cooling the battery? Actually if they are opened the air pull from middle radiator would be less strong?
I think the middle radiator is the actual radiator for the engine and battery. The external radiator of the air conditioning can help when the battery or the engines get warm. If it's a very hot day, the air conditioning for the interior can also be throttled down because the vehicle's collected water circuit is also cooled by the air conditioning compressor.

My best guess would be...if the battery/motor/inverter? cooling is needed, the center radiator's flaps would open and side louvers close to get the max flow from the center radiator?
if AC gas needs cooling the side louvers would open and center flaps close to get the max airflow throw side radiators?

But what happens if both need max flow?

Interesting, during my last v4 session I've experienced error THC_u0005_cabinHVACLimited_PT which is normal when battery needs more power and therefore system down the power for cabin cooling?

Yes, cause there is the chiller, that robbs "the AC coolness/power" to cool down the battery pack... hence the cabin cooling capacity may be reduced... I doubt that it is normal case, perhaps you are already having a bit low pressure in the AC system?

Can I see the pressure in smt? And whats a normal value?

Next to the warning there is an icon to click on and it opens manual, where its explained that it is normal when doing SuC.
I'm afraid the AC pressure is not there, but not sure about it...check "HVAC" or "TEMPS" page.

And yes, as mentioned, when car is moving and cooling is needed, the louvers stays usually closed and air goes through the central radiator so the radiator louvers should be opened in that moment. When the car is supercharging, there's no enough cooling capacity when using only radiator (even there're those two big fans which forces the air to move), so the side clima condensers kicks in and therefore their louvers opens. I have noticed the supercharging speed to be the same or very similar in case they don't work, but the fans then run at max speed and it's very loud.

Gotcha now, I was thinking the other way around :)

so when there is enough "air" to cool the central radiator there is no need for AC to help cool it down, but when supercharing the air is not enough and AC kicks in at cools the radiator, therefore side louvers should open?