Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sued Tesla over back-ordered parts and repair delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
My 2015 Model S (original owner) has been in at the body shop for 4 months, waiting for a suspension strut (hit a rock on the highway in late July). The shop says all they know is "backordered" and I'm told, like us, they have no way to reach a person at Tesla. I've called the local service center to see if they can help and they say they have nothing to do with body shop parts and can't provide contact info.

I wonder if getting a lawyer involved might help. If anyone has done this, would appreciate hearing your tale.

Thanks.

P.S. Just yesterday I called State Farm and asked them if they'd total the car, as it's irreparable without parts. The claim adjuster said he will escalate my request and get back to me next week. I just want to be done with Tesla forever. It's the worst car ownership experience I've had in 45 years of car ownership

You're trying to take a total loss hit on your insurance over a strut? Why not simply source your own part, even if used, and have it installed so you can drive the thing?
Yes, I just want to be done with Tesla forever. I've had some other issues with them over the years, despise the company's treatment of customers, and just want to put this POS company in the rear view mirror and never look back.

That said, do you have any suggestions on where to find the part (I'm on the west side of Denver)? Mind leaving your car in the driveway tonight? :)

Sorry to hear that bad experience for you, I feel you ,right place right technical person is the key point ,if go third place shop make sure you can they are tesla certified body shops , you can find in google serch.what give you some advice as my personal experience where you located at?

Yes, I just want to be done with Tesla forever. I've had some other issues with them over the years, despise the company's treatment of customers, and just want to put this POS company in the rear view mirror and never look back.

That said, do you have any suggestions on where to find the part (I'm on the west side of Denver)? Mind leaving your car in the driveway tonight? :)
Actually, the funny thing is, I just may have one. Is it the driver side or passenger side?

You can check salvage yards, ebay, etc. I believe that the smart air suspension system components found in the cars previous to the newer version of the adaptive air suspension used components supplied for Mercedes so that may be a path worth researching as well.

Actually, the funny thing is, I just may have one. Is it the driver side or passenger side?

You can check salvage yards, ebay, etc. I believe that the smart air suspension system components found in the cars previous to the newer version of the adaptive air suspension used components supplied for Mercedes so that may be a path worth researching as well.
It's the driver's side rear, air suspension, non-adaptive. I call the shop on Monday and get the exact part numbers, then begin a search. Thanks.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It's the driver's side rear, air suspension, non-adaptive. I call the shop on Monday and get the exact part numbers, then begin a search. Thanks.
If you really want to get rid of it, post it in the for sale section explains the problem for a price of say $500. It will be sold to a new owner quite quickly and you will have met your goal of putting the POS company behind you. No reason to continue with the stress when it’s easily fixed.
Good luck on the sale.

I was thinking had one for you as I was reading your post but, sadly, mine is a driver's side front strut tower for non-adaptive. So close. You can search online too as I know there's ways to find part #'s, diagrams and all that sort of stuff.

Either way, I would certainly take more steps before trying to file on your insurance because, even if they allowed that, it would increase your premiums and cost you far more in the long run. Just find used part that works, have it installed and then sell the car for whatever you can get for it in good working order which will be a FAR better option for you than some of the other options you suggested.

Reactions: Barry
If you really want to get rid of it, post it in the for sale section explains the problem for a price of say $500. It will be sold to a new owner quite quickly and you will have met your goal of putting the POS company behind you. No reason to continue with the stress when it’s easily fixed.
Good luck on the sale.
$500 for a 2015 Tesla Model S 85D that needs a strut? Sounds like you want to steal this person's car. 😂

Implied warranty of parts availability? I'm not a lawyer, but willing to explore the possibility with one if necessary.

Appreciate the tips above. Will explore once I get the p/n and info on what exactly they still need.

4 months! Must be the same company that makes the rivets. 😉
I was wondering if any of the old timers would bring that up :) Hope all is well with you, Mr. Hammer.

For the rest of you, in early 2016, I needed a quarter panel replaced and it took 4 months because of back-ordered rivets. Back then, it was the old "they're a new compnay - give them a break." Some things never change. So Tesla's poor treatment of its customers has taken almost a year's use of the car from me.

I remember the rivets issue. I think only one vendor in Japan made them. The rivets were not used in making Tesla's cars as they were welded in the production line. They were only used for repairs where you cut off the old fender and install a new one with these special aluminum rivets. You couldn't use standard steel rivets as they would cause corrosion problems over time. I don't know the reason for the big rivet shortage but was a major pain at the time for anyone doing bodywork that needed them. Perhaps the factory making the rivets had a production problem or they were in high demand by other companies. Tough when you have a single source for a part and demand exceeds availability. Reminds me of the current automotive chip shortages other companies have been facing and causing huge parts delays.