Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken delivery of a new Model S and opted for the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, had the MSP to drive for about 3 weeks, put a few hundred miles on it and I got to use the horn for the first time.

Situation: bad snow conditions (thank you Colorado) ice on the road under snow. I am in a 55, doing 45, and about a quarter-mile (estimating) the light is turning yellow/red. As a responsible driver I start to apply the brakes; no dice, I am in a skid. ABS is kicking in, but not slowing down the car fast enough. I see another car stopped at the red, at the intersection: If she goes, she will cross right into my vector. I start honking the horn, didn't even glance down, just found it with my thumb and started to use an S-O-S pattern in hopes that she notices I am out of control. Fortunately, the ABS found some grip and stopped me right before the intersection (maybe some sand was put down that I couldn't see). The lady looks at me like "wtf is with this guy" and then I see the lightbulb as she notices that I am not quite straight (I assume she noticed) and she kindly waved and moved on. My blood pressure and heart rate drops down to safe levels... I did NOT want to crash my car after just getting him!!!

How this matters: finding the horn in a situation where it was potentially VERY necessary in a safety situation to alert other drivers I was out of control was not an issue.

This example is just one of hundreds where finding the horn RIGHT NOW is essential to prevent an accident, yet Tesla's insane user interface disaster with the yoke/joke continues to this day.

Elon promised us a center pad horn activation well over a year ago, and then . . . nothing. I showed this Tweet to our local service center last month. "We'll look into it . . ." which means it was another Elon Tweet that just pisses them off and adds to their workload, and then pisses off the customer with a reply that "There's no such thing."

How can otherwise brilliant people be so utterly stupid?

Why is it so hard to fix some of their absolutely stupid mistakes?

This is the among the largest frustrations with the Model S and I am actively looking at other EV's to replace it with when the time comes.

Reactions: Mark II
This example is just one of hundreds where finding the horn RIGHT NOW is essential to prevent an accident, yet Tesla's insane user interface disaster with the yoke/joke continues to this day.

Elon promised us a center pad horn activation well over a year ago, and then . . . nothing. I showed this Tweet to our local service center last month. "We'll look into it . . ." which means it was another Elon Tweet that just pisses them off and adds to their workload, and then pisses off the customer with a reply that "There's no such thing."

How can otherwise brilliant people be so utterly stupid?

Why is it so hard to fix some of their absolutely stupid mistakes?

This is the among the largest frustrations with the Model S and I am actively looking at other EV's to replace it with when the time comes.
Partially agree. I have 100% adapted to the Yoke, I prefer it now to a standard wheel. The Turn signals took a bit to get used to, now they are second nature. The wipers were also a bit odd, but again, success. The funny issue I have is with AP. I get confused with my wife's MYLR, and I press her right thumb button (activating voice commands) which is frustrating. Why can't we have the thumb roller button also adjust follow distance? The left right feature of the button does nothing... come on Elon, this seems like an easy fix.

I do not like the horn. While I have used it successfully (see previous posts) I have since had 3 instances where I either accidentally pressed the horn or I instinctively attempted to push the airbag...

My guess is that Elon has his teams working on more significant issues. That said, I think this does warrant some focus as it is a safety concern. Hopefully it doesn't take an accident/fatality to get attention.

Partially agree. I have 100% adapted to the Yoke, I prefer it now to a standard wheel. The Turn signals took a bit to get used to, now they are second nature. The wipers were also a bit odd, but again, success. The funny issue I have is with AP. I get confused with my wife's MYLR, and I press her right thumb button (activating voice commands) which is frustrating. Why can't we have the thumb roller button also adjust follow distance? The left right feature of the button does nothing... come on Elon, this seems like an easy fix.

I do not like the horn. While I have used it successfully (see previous posts) I have since had 3 instances where I either accidentally pressed the horn or I instinctively attempted to push the airbag...

My guess is that Elon has his teams working on more significant issues. That said, I think this does warrant some focus as it is a safety concern. Hopefully it doesn't take an accident/fatality to get attention.
We can't have the right scroll wheel adjust the follow distance because there's a chance you might push the wheel while trying to adjust the follow distance, which could engage or disengage AP accidentally. Activating AP supposed to go on the button above the scroll wheel, but they realized too late that it would be too easy to activate accidentally.

We can't have the right scroll wheel adjust the follow distance because there's a chance you might push the wheel while trying to adjust the follow distance, which could engage or disengage AP accidentally. Activating AP supposed to go on the button above the scroll wheel, but they realized too late that it would be too easy to activate accidentally.
The right scroll wheel led/right movement will likely never do anything because of this fact. Just another example of Tesla not thinking things through before releasing hardware/software.

hu. Yep, that makes sense. What a shame.

Makes no sense. On the 3/Y, you use the same stalk to put the car in drive and neutral that you use to engage AP/FSD. If you do it wrong, you'll put the car in neutral on the freeway, which is very dangerous for someone that sucks at driving, like really old people. They'll get confused and end up coming to a stop on the freeway thinking the car is broken. Or you can put the car in AP thinking you are putting it in neutral for something like the car wash.

So if all those people can live with that concern, we can live with the same scroll wheel issues.

Last edited:
Makes no sense. On the 3/Y, you use the same stalk to put the car in drive and neutral that you use to engage AP/FSD. If you do it wrong, you'll put the car in neutral on the freeway, which is very dangerous for someone that sucks at driving, like really old people. They'll get confused and end up coming to a stop on the freeway thinking the car is broken. Or you can put the car in AP thinking you are putting it in neutral for something like the car wash.

So if all those people can live with that concern, we can live with the same scroll wheel issues.
People don't complain about going into neutral, though. Everyone complains about sudden unintended acceleration....

Hey, I am right there with you. I have no personal issue with the scroll wheel being used to adjust follow distance! It makes sense to me.

That said, if Tesla has done research that resulted in a high probability of this causing an issue... Well, I would like to see the data, but so be it. My argument would be that it is much more dangerous to ask your customers to adjust follow distance via sub-menus on the screen.

Speaking of, maybe that is the key? Put a follow distance bar on the center screen that would be a quick one-touch adjustment.

Speaking of, maybe that is the key? Put a follow distance bar on the center screen that would be a quick one-touch adjustment.

Crazy Tesla hasn't done that yet. Sometimes I think the people at Tesla in charge of designing the interface have never driven a car before and only take public transportation. Crazy that you have to click through a couple of menus to get to the setting, and that menu takes up a huge portion of the screen and the view of the nav so you don't want to leave it up.

Crazy Tesla hasn't done that yet. Sometimes I think the people at Tesla in charge of designing the interface have never driven a car before and only take public transportation. Crazy that you have to click through a couple of menus to get to the setting, and that menu takes up a huge portion of the screen and the view of the nav so you don't want to leave it up.
I would vehemently vote against having a permanent on-screen follow distance adjustment bar.

Speaking of which, for those of us who don't live in e.g. LA, it would be nice to increase the minimum follow distance. My VW Golf R from 2016 (which, uh... had working RADAR and never had phantom braking on the highway) let me increase my follow distance so much further than Tesla does.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I would vehemently vote against having a permanent on-screen follow distance adjustment bar.

Speaking of which, for those of us who don't live in e.g. LA, it would be nice to increase the minimum follow distance. My VW Golf R from 2016 (which, uh... had working RADAR and never had phantom braking on the highway) let me increase my follow distance so much further than Tesla does.
Agreed. I've never felt the need to adjust that setting. I leave it at 5.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I think a better solution is to change AP activation such that the scroll wheel can safely be used for full functionality (e.g., left/right click for distance on AP and even customization of the instrument screen as with pre-Refresh). Perhaps AP could be activated with double-click of the button above scroll wheel for example.

I disagree. The following distance makes a big difference as you move from stop and go traffic to wide open freeway driving and everything in between. That’s why the Model 3/Y have it on the steering wheel. You’re just not doing it right.
Screenshot_20230601_165210_Chrome.jpg