Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has your autopilot been spooked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since 2020.4.1 I'm finding that TACC seems much less smooth to me and I've had a couple of serious unexplained braking incidents that needed me to get on the thottle very quickly to avoid being shunted on the motorway.

Prior to this update, I've been really impressed with the TACC on the motorway and hadn't experienced any serious braking issues but now I think I'll just give it a miss.

I'll also be leaving a big gap if I'm ever following another Tesla on the motorway!

Interbear- I’m pretty sure that on TACC the car slows down as you indicate just because you are closing on the vehicle being overtaken. Like you, I’ve learnt to put my foot on the accelerator in anticipation. Not ideal though.
You’re correct. If you pull out early enough, before your car has detected the car you’re approaching, TACC or AP doesn’t slow the car down at all.

In the UK we have a different product from the US. I didn't realize (whoops, realise) this at first. The paint colors (whoops, colours) may be the same between markets, but the software is a different beast entirely. I believe it was developed by the same team that coded the Entertainment pack in order to balance out the workload. Its obviously a bug that the UK software controls for our version of FSD were not moved to the Enertainment menu. For any that haven't yet read about it, in the UK our cars get a feature set known as Fun Steering Distractions. The split between US and UK releases is rumored (or rumoured) to have come about when UK programmers were brought in to the software development team to try and add awareness and handling of UK specific road features.

Reading through the code they realised they had been given a game development project because of the references to driving on the 'pavement', assuming it must be points per pedestrian hit etc.

I was sure I had Fun Steering Distractions option when I first encountered a row of parked cars with AP engaged and discovered the aim was to try and stop my car smashing their door mirrors. Self Parking is part of the same FSD package in the UK where I found out the aim is to try and avoid letting the car drive itself onto grass or get itself stuck in positions you can't get out of (especially in corners of parking lots {car parks}) and between closely positioned rows of parked cars. (Reminds me of the sofa in Hitchhikers Guide if anyone remembers that.)

In-Lane ping pong was left for UK and Europe the same as in US market cars.

My personal favourite / favorite is the addition of 'Patience' that brings all the drivers of the cars behind you into the game when FSD comes up behind a cyclist and just sits there to see who cracks first and can no longer hold back from overtaking.

'Concentration' could present problems for insurance companies with huge numbers of rear-end collisions although it also brings a multi-player dimension to gameplay. It's perhaps too much for most UK drivers when FSD Teslas randomly slam on the brakes for no obvious reason.

I'm not a fan of 'guess your next speed' under the TACC section. Especially in Construction Zones (road works) on freeways (motorways) where it's just too dangerous imo to be jetted up to 70mph without warning in a 50mph zone.

To maintain parity of value offering, the US development team have been keeping a close eye on UK enhancements. They have decided that they can't see any justification for adding Carousel (or should that be Carosel?) mode to US cars just to keep pace with the new Roundabout mode mooted for UK buyers.

I guess that's just how it goes when you buy an American car.

I was halfway through another lengthy discourse into my AP / FSD experience and remembered an earlier post prompted by roundabouts.

Excuse me quoting myself, but saved a lot of typing!