Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Tesla insurance, just got DMV letter "Intent to Suspend" for lack of insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few people in your exact situation have posted similar issues. If I remember correctly, had to do with something like the new tesla insurance is not sending proof of insurance digitally. Here are a couple of threads I found on the subject:

Have Tesla insurance, just got DMV letter "Intent to Suspend" for lack of insurance
Tesla Insurance Major Oversight

Thanks I guess I didn't look up search hard enough. At least a call into Tesla Insurance, they said they will correct the issue for me. Guess I'll keep an eye to see if I get updated on status.

Guess this thread can just trickle down to deletion since I didn't see the other 2 threads with related question. Thanks.

Last edited:
UPDATE 12/29: Called Tesla, nice person on the phone seemed to know exactly what was going on. Without me asking, she offered to re-issue a new insurance card with NAIC number on it (mine did not have it), asked me to email her a copy of the DMV letter, and said they'd take care of things from their end. Additionally, she mentioned that I should hear back from them when all is taken care of (we'll see about that...)

But for now, this seemed a more promising response from Tesla customer support than previous things I've read. Success pending still, of course, but there appears to be hope that they're working on improving their way of working.

I got the mail just yesterday and called Tesla they said they will contact DMV, online verification update apparently wasn't working for their new service. BTW did you take a DeLorean and travel to 12/29 and reporting the update 2 months in the future? Just got mine probably yesterday 10/29.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
There is a special DMV registration unit based in Sacramento that can answer tougher question that the local guys often can't fix. They have never steered me wrong. 916-657-8035. You call right at 8:30a when they open as they get busy very quickly
Yep, can vouch for those guys. They were able to fix my issue pretty quickly. Surprisingly helpful people considering what the rest of the DMV has to offer

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I got the mail just yesterday and called Tesla they said they will contact DMV, online verification update apparently wasn't working for their new service. BTW did you take a DeLorean and travel to 12/29 and reporting the update 2 months in the future? Just got mine probably yesterday 10/29.

Delorean for sure and not at all a fat finger.

giphy.gif

Just spoke with them today and as of a couple days ago the new policy is that you call them and they will give you an email to send them copy of the letter and they will take care of it.

I was initially pissed last week when i got the letter (and spoke with them and they said i had to go to the dmv), but they completely took care of it for me today

Reactions: Loco_Nomad
Just got my suspension letter and all the same frustration with DMV, sent the proof in (without the NAIC) over a week ago and couldn't even enter the info online ~two weeks ago 'because it was already in progress . . ?' and still got the letter

DMV Phone tree is terrible way to try and enter the info, can't understand S . . . 1/2 hr wait time to talk to someone as useless as the web site or call 1-844-34-TESLA ROTFLOL (not :-( )

Just got my suspension letter and all the same frustration with DMV, sent the proof in (without the NAIC) over a week ago and couldn't even enter the info online ~two weeks ago 'because it was already in progress . . ?' and still got the letter

DMV Phone tree is terrible way to try and enter the info, can't understand S . . . 1/2 hr wait time to talk to someone as useless as the web site or call 1-844-34-TESLA ROTFLOL (not :-( )

I called Tesla insurance yesterday and they took care of it. I got an email confirmation a couple of hours after the call.

• Informative
Reactions: liuping
I just got the same letter and honestly it pisses me off.

When I switched to Tesla insurance, I had hoped for a similar level of service as my last carrier. 2 weeks after I switched to Tesla I get a letter from my bank saying that they see there is no insurance on my file and they need proof of it. WTF Tesla insurance? I follow up on my time to do the job of Tesla Insurance, annoying but not a big deal.

Just yesterday I get another notice, this time from the CA DMV saying that my registration will be suspended in about a month if I don't get my insurance taken care of. Strike 2 Tesla Insurance, you literally only had 2 jobs so far, besides taking my money.

So here I am a paying customer with a beautiful new Tesla, wondering if this experience will be similar when I had to make a claim?

I am about 1 week from cancelling this crap and going back to my old carrier, who I never had any of these issues with. No way this experience is worth $30 less per month.

No way this experience is worth $30 less per month.
$30 a month adds up quite quickly (for me it was more like $40/mo). A minor inconvenience during one month, for a necessary evil service that generally does you no good to have anyway, and even when it comes useful, they always find a way to dodge paying it (no matter what company you have).

So yeah, despite these minor hiccups for a new provider, I totally feel it's worth the little extra headache.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Called Tesla insurance and they are handling the e-mail to DMV.

The NAIC number posted above did not work. And the DMV website didn't accept the policy number due to included punctuation. I suggest that you just call Tesla Insurance and let them handle it: 1-844-348-3752

RT

• Informative
Reactions: 3peat and liuping
My post from another thread:

I learned my lesson about calling over the weekend! During the week they have way more competent people handling things.

Screw it- here is the email of the nice lady that took care of it for me. She might not work on the weekends but shoot her an email from the address linked to your Tesla account (with a copy of the DMV letter) and she will take care of it!!

[email protected]