Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to decide early today between keeping mu 18 m3p and getting a new 2023 m3p

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I am trying to decide whether I want to pick up the 2023 M3P I ordered last night(Has the $7,500 off and 10k miles deal) or keep my 18 model.

I love my 18 (grey w white interior) but it has 63k miles and has an after market sound system, which does not sound quite as good as the regular until I hit a button. When I hit that button the stereo is insane. (But kind of too loud for most people's taste.) There are pros and cons to doing both and getting the new one will really only cost me about 20k since I would sell my old one for around 40k(Tesla is only offering me 32 on a trade!) Note: Money is not a huge issue as I can pay cash and have savings left over. I am not rich tough lol.)
Here are the pros and cons:
2018 Pros already has tint(no ppf)
Crazy stereo (also a con)
Full self driving
Color is better to some
Paid for (so 20k less)
Does not have big rattles

Cons
Out of warranty (and probably out of battery warranty because of after market stereo system)This is my biggest fear.
4-5 years old
63 k miles
tires are shot(have a spare almost new set)
Paint got a little dinged up over time.(no ppf) Not a big deal as I am not OCD.
older tech

2023 Pros
Ryzen processor
Charging pads for phone
Dual laminated glass
upgraded cameras
heated steering wheel?
New Warranty in effect for four years bumper to bumper and entire battery warranty WILL be good
Better build quality?
Crazy deal 7500 and 10k miles
Maybe I am leaving something out?

Cons:
Will cost me another 20k
No full self driving (only auto pilot, but I only use lane change and back out of garage (which is glitchy AF anyway)
Will need to sell old car separately
Will have to get ppf and tint (around 3 k) But since it has new tires that's 1500 of it there

I am not being impulsive in this buy if I do it as I am trying to be logical(Had a Plaid for 3 weeks ...that was impulsive but netted 30k lol), but I am genuinely worried about the warranty. I feel if I don't do it now, I wont get a better deal...ever. What would you guys do. Oh and if I don't do it I am out $250 I guess.
Please let me know. Thanks! :)

Cons

Reactions: Pseudofinn
Do it. 🤘

Edit- I thought about it for another minute... You are in the perfect position to trade up. Pros outweigh the cons on my sheet- especially since FSD isn't a deal breaker. If this was me thinking about it, I would do it.

Definitely do it before the "refresh". ;-)

PPS- the market is about to fall out on used Teslas. They will always have a very wild resale value, but the insanity on those used vehicles is gonna chill real soon. Do it, and do it now. 🤘

Last edited:
I mean will the 10,000 deal will be off the table after December 31? Otherwise, I believe you get the $7500 tax credit starting January 1. Having said that, 20 grand for a sweet car is nothing. You might be able to get some kind of local or state rebate to in California
Yeah but I want the performance model and the rebate won't cover that on the 3 just the Y. Don't want the Y. Thanks for the response. :)

Reactions: Grant Gerke
I would upgrade if cash not an issue

You get newer tech car and 10.000 miles for road trips for free. That alone would cost you quite few thousand

And you would get new tech (ryzen is quick!!) And better insulation (huge difference for double glazing alone)

2023 Pros
Ryzen processor
Charging pads for phone
Dual laminated glass
upgraded cameras
heated steering wheel?
New Warranty in effect for four years bumper to bumper and entire battery warranty WILL be good
Better build quality?
Crazy deal 7500 and 10k miles
Maybe I am leaving something out?

I am going to assume that you already figured the $7500 off into your calculation of "its going to cost me 20k to trade up", so that isnt necessarily part of the "pro's" to me. The real question you have to ask yourself is:

"If it was possible for me to take my car to tesla, ask them for a Ryzen processor, charging pad, laminated glass in the back, a heated steering wheel and to extend my warranty for 4 years, and they said "Sure we can do all that it will be $20,000" would I think this was a good deal / would I do it?"

I happen to think that list of items is not worth $20,000 but I am not you. I have a 2018 M3P myself though, and made the decision to not trade it in in the summer of this year where it would have been "only" about 7-8k difference for me. If I didnt do it for 7-8k I obviously am not doing it for 20k.

As far as the aftermarket stereo goes, that would impact any issues you might have with electrical running off the 12V in the car, but your warranty for that stuff is gone anyway. It shouldnt have any impact at all on the drive train or battery degradation warranty, and that warranty is good for 120k miles or 8 years.

If you had ordered a red or black M3P at the end of '22 and gotten the M3P, price delta today would be $1500, and no Supercharger miles. So maybe $1K delta max. Not worth jumping off a bridge.

Red/black M3P too high for any Federal tax credits, too.

You got the -$7500 discount, but that is from the $2022 original price.

Getting one today you get still get the credit $7500 , on top of the $9k discounted price, so way more that just $1K delta.

You got the -$7500 discount, but that is from the $2022 original price.

Getting one today you get still get the credit $7500 , on top of the $9k discounted price, so way more that just $1K delta.
No. The base price I paid was $55,490 after the $7500. Today the same car/base price is $53,990.

You might be getting the 'cash' discount of $7500 (no longer available) confused with the 'tax' discount of $7500. As mentioned, the car I got (red M3P) is not eligible for any Federal tax credit (too high MSRP).

So math still stands. The car I got 12/30/2022 was $1500 more than the same car today ($9K new price adjustment vs. temporary $7500 discount end of Dec) and mine has 10K Supercharger miles. So I'm going to call that $1K delta. Maybe less than $1K depending if I use them all.

No. The base price I paid was $55,490 after the $7500. Today the same car/base price is $53,990.

You might be getting the 'cash' discount of $7500 (no longer available) confused with the 'tax' discount of $7500. As mentioned, the car I got (red M3P) is not eligible for any Federal tax credit (too high MSRP).

So math still stands. The car I got 12/30/2022 was $1500 more than the same car today ($9K new price adjustment vs. temporary $7500 discount end of Dec) and mine has 10K Supercharger miles. So I'm going to call that $1K delta. Maybe less than $1K depending if I use them all.
Yes but if you got white, and even with the white interior, it was a big save this year.