Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jaff, have you actually heard September from somewhere? I've been merely guessing Sept (mid 2012=June + 3 months = Sept)...

gduncan, all you have to do is call Hans or Sarah in the Toronto office & advise them that you wish to upgrade your reservation to the Sig series...back it up with an email to be safe.

I'd do it sooner than later as I can't recall how many Sig series TM is alloting to Canada and around 70 units are already spoken for.

The Sig series will be delivered first before the general (P) reservations...we've been told that Canadian Sig series vehicles will start to be delivered around Sept 2012.

Matt, I think it was the TM folks in Cali that said the deliveries would start in Canada in Sept...of course, I'm sure that would be contingent on the U.S. deliveries starting mid year (June) with Canadian deliveries starting 3 months later.

I'm sure nothing is carved in stone at this point...these dates are just goals at this point...

(Sorry for clogging up the UK Model S Sig thread with the Canadian stuff...hey Gduncan, perhaps you can change your settings so we can PM you)

Jaff, have you actually heard September from somewhere? I've been merely guessing Sept (mid 2012=June + 3 months = Sept)...

Last edited:
I live in Hong Kong and have reserved a Model S for my wife (roadster HK#569 for myself). The economics here are interesting. FRT (first registration tax) is typically close to 100% of the price of a premium car, but is waived (until spring 2014) for pure EV vehicles. Makes a huge difference to the cost comparisons vs BMW, etc. Tesla aim to start selling the model S here in the summer of 2013, and I really hope things aren't delayed. The FRT tax brake will help them while it lasts.

Hong Kong itself is perfect for EVs. Small, polluted, excellent power grid. No range anxiety (but storage space anxiety in the roadster).

Hi markwj and modelsHKG, I am also planning to place an order for a Model S in HK. May I ask you how are you going to charge your EV in HK? do you guys live in a house? My biggest problem is to install a power point in my underground parking spot. i asked the management company in my apartment. It seems that it involves a lot of regulations and it is very hard to have it done.

Hi markwj and modelsHKG, I am also planning to place an order for a Model S in HK. May I ask you how are you going to charge your EV in HK? do you guys live in a house? My biggest problem is to install a power point in my underground parking spot. i asked the management company in my apartment. It seems that it involves a lot of regulations and it is very hard to have it done.

I live in a house with ground floor garage, so not so hard for me.

So long as you are not driving hundreds of KM per day, a 240v 13A normal square pin plug should be fine. Lots of Roadster owners in HK using that for overnight charge. Technically it is easy. But permit-wise it is going to depend on your building management. If it was me, I'd probably go carrot-and-stick - let me do it and I'll applaud you for Eco-friendliness, don't and I'll kick up a fuss everywhere I go saying management company X are terrible, unhelpful and anti-environment. The bigger the management company, the easier this should be.

P.S. This might help:

LCQ 19: The wider use of electric vehicles
http://www.emsd.gov.hk/emsd/e_download/pps/pub/EV_guidelines.pdf

Guys, I live in Happy Valley. I am bugging the building management and the owners committee just about everyday to give me the permission to install a EV charger in my car park or a shared one in the common parking area. However, they are giving me rubbish like legal concern, insurance concern, aesthetic concern, to technical worries etc etc... I have not given up yet, as I have providing them with government guidelines and now starting to have Hong Kong EV Power Limited to involve, you may want to contact Laurence Chan at [email protected], he may be able to help you convince your management and OC to start thinking.

Don't give up!!! They are just too lazy to do anything!

Thanks Model S HKG, sure I won't give up. Actually I have contacted Tesla HK. A guy from an engineering company will come to my apartment tomorrow morning for a site visit.
Did you get the same guy from Telsa to help you? They charged me $2500 for all the works with my building management and the CLP. Let's see what they can do tomorrow.

Model S_HK, HK Tesla should give you the most support! Their salesman should have recommended the same engineering consultant to you. They told me that this consultant has already finished some jobs for the roadsters buyer.
Anyway, give me your email or mobile phone no. that I can text their contact to you.

The approach I'd take with a rental property is a variation of the carrot/stick. I'd tell them that unless they plan on demolishing the building any time soon, at some point they will need chargers in ALL the parking spots since all cars will be EV's in the future. Tell them that you'll help pay for the first one... in your spot.