Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you seen the wall connector pulling power even though not charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today after a drive and plugging in the cable that the green lights were moving. Went inside and could see it was pulling over 2kW! The problem is I don't have it set to charge until low rates at night and when I did plug in its actually quite a high rate. It lasted at least 5 mins.

I'm ok with a little charge maybe to test the circuit or something but it's going to defeat charging at a low rate if it pulls too much at high peak prices.

For now I'll just plug in when it's the right time of use but that's not as convenient of course.

Thanks

You know I just caught mine doing that a few days ago. Plugged in the charger (HPWC), and though the screen said it would start charging at midnight (as I had set it), the smaller status at the bottom said it was drawing one or two amps. Then I looked and my HPWC was indicating it was charging. It stopped after a minute or two. And then at midnight it started charging at the full 240V / 48A.

I chalked it up to the car needing additional power for something (maybe battery cooling?) and deciding to power it from the wall. Which it shouldn’t do.

I totally forgot about it until I saw your post.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
When plugged into “shore power” the car will prefer that to run the heating and cooling in the car rather than use up battery. I think the philosophy is that reducing charge/discharge cycles on the battery is a good thing and so if shore power is available, then use that even if it is not the “cheap” power time of day.

The car is not charging at all, just running active power needs off the wall vs. the battery.

If you just got home, it should not be doing battery conditioning (as the battery should have gotten to a good temp while driving), so what you are seeing is likely just cabin HVAC.

It might be nice to get a setting for this some day. I also would like to be able to turn off auto heating and cooling as soon as you open the car doors. While this is most often nice, sometimes I am just loading/unloading the car and I may not want to cycle the hvac on and off so many times and I don’t want to burn the power (whether it be battery power or shore power).

Reactions: BrokerDon
Hello,
I have a related question, I hope someone can help me.
I have the GEN2 mobile charger that came with the Model 3. (manual:https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf)

The charging unit is working fine when I"m charging, but it doesn't seem right that the unit should stay on AFTER charging completes AND even when UNPLUGGED from the Model 3 charge port.

Is this normal?
In the morning, after unplugging the mobile charger, I have to unplug the charger from my 240volt outlet in order to stop the heat on the unit. If I don't do that, the TESLA indicator lights on the charger stays lit, and it stays warm all day.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hello,
I have a related question, I hope someone can help me.
I have the GEN2 mobile charger that came with the Model 3. (manual:https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf)

The charging unit is working fine when I"m charging, but it doesn't seem right that the unit should stay on AFTER charging completes AND even when UNPLUGGED from the Model 3 charge port.

Is this normal?
In the morning, after unplugging the mobile charger, I have to unplug the charger from my 240volt outlet in order to stop the heat on the unit. If I don't do that, the TESLA indicator lights on the charger stays lit, and it stays warm all day.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

It's going to draw some power while plugged in. That's normal. It's probably not a good idea to plug and unplug all the time. NEMA 14-50 outlets are not designed to be plugged and unplugged repeatedly. Unless you got the $100 version of the outlet, yours is probably one that's designed for unplugging about as often as buying a new electric stove every decade.