Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having owned a Model Y would you consider the F-150 lightening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up one soon and I am not sure if I should keep the Model Y or trade it in.

Obviously two different vehicles but I think both can serve their own purpose.

Has anybody consider the Lightning? Would you give up The Model Y for one?
I have a different perspective in that I dont yet have a tesla but one coming in about a week.
A BIG reason why I chose tesla is their charging network. I was listening to tmc podcast and they talked about other chargers and the issues that are abound in that space. You are "competing" with all other EVs and hybrid owners wanting to charge their car.
I would gladly pay more for an "exclusive" charging network (I hope they dont change it in the US!), and chargers that "just work". You plug in and car chargers and you get charged the right amount without inserting any CC or downloading any app.

Reactions: BSparx and Watts_Up
The F-150 with the larger battery is a compelling sell but it’s completely different from a Model Y which is a crossover. Trucks are more utility vehicles and the conveniences of the F-150 Iightning make it pretty compelling. I like the power frunk, the outlets, and the liftgate additions. The biggest issues are with reliability, charging network, pouch batteries, and pricing.

For me, a crossover is fine but if I wanted to get stuff from lowes or HD, I would like a pickup. For something that is more in-between, a minivan would be a great combination. I wish Tesla would make a minivan.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have a different perspective in that I dont yet have a tesla but one coming in about a week.
A BIG reason why I chose tesla is their charging network. I was listening to tmc podcast and they talked about other chargers and the issues that are abound in that space. You are "competing" with all other EVs and hybrid owners wanting to charge their car.
I would gladly pay more for an "exclusive" charging network (I hope they dont change it in the US!), and chargers that "just work". You plug in and car chargers and you get charged the right amount without inserting any CC or downloading any app.
Also the Tesla charging network is well integrated within the navigation system. So the navigation determines where and when to stop for charging.
This is quite acurate, so for example if the navigation determines that you will arrive with 25% of SoC, this will be the case.

The car constantly recalculate the estimate consumption, so if you are going up hill you will see that you final SoC will be going down,
but then when you will be going down hiil, the final SoC will be going up, and so on, but at your arrival the final SoC will be the one originaly calculated.

So no guessing needed to make during your trip for determining if you will be able to reach the next charger.

Note: I don't know how charging is integrated with the navigation for the other EVs?
I remember going to a VW EV test event last year, and when driving an ID.4 I wanted to visit
a charger located about 2 miles away, but the sale representative was not able to show me
how to use the navigation to find the charger and told me that I should use an App on my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whtrbt7
The interior is "barebone" by design.

Exactly.

I posred this image before - an image from the web:

52263012972_67eb21fc45_z.jpg

After getting used to the “barebone” simplicity of my M3 over the last 6 months, the Ford panel just looks needlessly “busy”. Probably no worse than trucks of this class from other manufacturers, but just seems like a poor UI. I’m sure one would get used to it quickly, but the simplicity of the Tesla interior and panel pleases me on a level that the Ford certainly does not.

We don’t “need” a truck, only because we have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline “beater” for hauling stuff. There’s something liberating in owning an old, cosmetically challenged truck that comes “pre-banged up”. But we do have a deposit down on the CyberTruck, and once it’s released we’ll have to see whether it makes any sense at all for our use case.

The 2012 Ford Focus Electric was a real flop...

View attachment 848117

It's one thing to have electrical or software issues, but Ford is having problems in areas they shouldn't be considering how long they've been around:

22S55 2022 Mach-E Recall: Rear Axle Half Shaft May Break Under Load (8/26/2022) | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

So right now, an owner can have one of several major problems: High Voltage Battery Junction Box Failure, overheating, and now this. All can lead to getting stranded or worse. The HVBJB is getting replaced very slowly and there are whispers of the new ones failing for a couple people already. That's why when their CEO opens his trap, I just laugh.

It's one thing to have electrical or software issues, but Ford is having problems in areas they shouldn't be considering how long they've been around:

22S55 2022 Mach-E Recall: Rear Axle Half Shaft May Break Under Load (8/26/2022) | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

So right now, an owner can have one of several major problems: High Voltage Battery Junction Box Failure, overheating, and now this. All can lead to getting stranded or worse. The HVBJB is getting replaced very slowly and there are whispers of the new ones failing for a couple people already. That's why when their CEO opens his trap, I just laugh.
The FT 150 was tested under very hard conditions... look at this video /s:

• Funny
Reactions: bobbyjae
My son's F150 has Radio. CC, Phone and Heater controls on the steering wheel. Your hands don't have to leave the wheel
Autopilot is set using the Gear Selector, Music can be performed with Voice commands, Phone can be performed with Voice commands, Heater also with voice commands. Works pretty well. I get the physical buttons and don't get me wrong, I hate the idea that Tesla is going to remove the stalks from the 3 & Y. But for the majority of tasks the Voice commands work pretty well.

The interior of an S or X is blown away by any premium brand. Tesla faithful will make excuse after excuse for the reasons why but it is still true.

Speaking of the truck market, Ford is a very high quality brand where you can get a $40,000 truck or a $102,000 truck depending on your desire for luxury features. All in the same F150 lightning model.

Keith
Ok, I’ll make an excuse 😎...Tesla seats are comfortable...and the minimalist interior gives you lots of room...comfy and roomy..the definition of premium

Reactions: bobbyjae
Exactly.

I posred this image before - an image from the web:

52263012972_67eb21fc45_z.jpg

After getting used to the “barebone” simplicity of my M3 over the last 6 months, the Ford panel just looks needlessly “busy”. Probably no worse than trucks of this class from other manufacturers, but just seems like a poor UI. I’m sure one would get used to it quickly, but the simplicity of the Tesla interior and panel pleases me on a level that the Ford certainly does not.

We don’t “need” a truck, only because we have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline “beater” for hauling stuff. There’s something liberating in owning an old, cosmetically challenged truck that comes “pre-banged up”. But we do have a deposit down on the CyberTruck, and once it’s released we’ll have to see whether it makes any sense at all for our use case.
I definitely agree with the “beater” truck concept. If Tesla builds the cyber truck to where I can hose out the inside and outside and it costs about $30k new, that’s a great utility vehicle.