Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having second thoughts on picking up MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with this. I pretty much just use the MYP to drive around my area (city/highway driving) and I love it so far. It's a blast to drive and love just plugging it in at night. Sure the ride can be a little jarring at times but it's not much different than some of the sports cars I've had in the past. With that said, the whole range thing scares me when it comes time to make short trips that are gonna require stops to use a supercharger. For those occasions, I'd probably just use one of my ICE vehicles.
just plug your destination into the Navigation system, if the car says you'll make it, you'll make it. I give myself a 15% buffer. It's actually a great trip vehicle.

I agree with this. I pretty much just use the MYP to drive around my area (city/highway driving) and I love it so far. It's a blast to drive and love just plugging it in at night. Sure the ride can be a little jarring at times but it's not much different than some of the sports cars I've had in the past. With that said, the whole range thing scares me when it comes time to make short trips that are gonna require stops to use a supercharger. For those occasions, I'd probably just use one of my ICE vehicles.
Trips are easy and enjoyable! Once you get your first one out of the way you'll get past the whole range thing. I've been doing long trips for 5 years now and others have for much longer - each year it gets easier.

Reactions: RedSupraT
just plug your destination into the Navigation system, if the car says you'll make it, you'll make it. I give myself a 15% buffer. It's actually a great trip vehicle.
Trips are easy and enjoyable! Once you get your first one out of the way you'll get past the whole range thing. I've been doing long trips for 5 years now and others have for much longer - each year it gets easier.

I'm sure you're both right. I just need to actually make a long trip and I'm sure the "range anxiety" will disappear after that. As I said, I don't do them often so probably making a bigger deal out of it than it is. lol

I would advise basing your decision on what the car has now, and completely ignore any promises Elon makes on investor day.

Do you depend on parking warnings where you usually park? If so the Ioniq might be better. If you prefer a softer suspension then the Ioniq might be better.

I don't know what kind of driver assist the Ioniq has, but in general the AP/FSD is pretty good and it keeps improving. I use TACC regularly, on the freeway in heavy traffic. I really love driving the car and I have no interest in "letting the robot drive." It's my first electric car and I love the smooth acceleration. The car is a blast to drive.

Do you know anyone else in your area with a Tesla? Ask them if they use any of the AP/FSD features - and if they experience phantom braking. My neighbor and I know about a few locations where the car mysteriously slows, every time. There are known locations. Also, the FSD is an extremely careful driver - it doesn't drive like a human, and I usually don't have the patience.

I have a 2023 without the USS and while I've gotten used to it, I bought my MYLR believing the "features are coming soon." I've decided for my own peace of mind that my car will never have parking warnings. I haven't seen anything from HW4 rumors that it will restore these features. Also we don't know when HW4 will be out, regardless of what Elon says.

Reactions: iloveplywood
I have a M3LR and while I don’t make long trips in my own car (I rent), I did make one from Dallas to Austin and the maps provided a fabulous experience of making sure I was not running out of power. That also provided me a good opportunity to see some new state highways that I would not have seen otherwise.

Reactions: Dennisis and 804son
I would advise basing your decision on what the car has now, and completely ignore any promises Elon makes on investor day.

Do you depend on parking warnings where you usually park? If so the Ioniq might be better. If you prefer a softer suspension then the Ioniq might be better.

I don't know what kind of driver assist the Ioniq has, but in general the AP/FSD is pretty good and it keeps improving. I use TACC regularly, on the freeway in heavy traffic. I really love driving the car and I have no interest in "letting the robot drive." It's my first electric car and I love the smooth acceleration. The car is a blast to drive.

Do you know anyone else in your area with a Tesla? Ask them if they use any of the AP/FSD features - and if they experience phantom braking. My neighbor and I know about a few locations where the car mysteriously slows, every time. There are known locations. Also, the FSD is an extremely careful driver - it doesn't drive like a human, and I usually don't have the patience.

I have a 2023 without the USS and while I've gotten used to it, I bought my MYLR believing the "features are coming soon." I've decided for my own peace of mind that my car will never have parking warnings. I haven't seen anything from HW4 rumors that it will restore these features. Also we don't know when HW4 will be out, regardless of what Elon says.
Agree. When I was agonizing over whether to pick up the MYLR without the USS sensors I forced myself to think like this. I made the purchasing decision based on what the car had currently only and that gave me some clarity as I realized that I could live without parking sensors on my car (never had them on my older vehicles anyway). This way if the car gets more features I'm happy and if it doesn't I'm not disappointed.

Hi TMC,

I ordered an MYP on Jan 23 and it has arrived at the Salt Lake City Tesla dealer. I deferred pick up until Thursday, March 2 because I need to hear the news from Elon tomorrow before I commit. I am concerned about the lack of USS, impending HW 4.0, and phantom breaking issues and considering walking away to go and pickup the Ioniq 5. I originally decided the ioniq 5 was a better option based on features but was not willing to pay the $5k over MSRP back in Jan. Since then the Ioniq 5 is down $6k to compete with Tesla. The MYP has grown on me since ordering and I love the styling and while I have never driven the performance version I did like driving the LR demo. I feel like vision will eventually have some sort of park assist solution so I'm willing to discount the lack of USS. So my pendulum swung towards the MY.

How bad is this phantom breaking issue? I think that is where I'm interested in other's opinion as I try to make a final decision. I have a Hyundai Palisade with Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and it's amazing. I have found Hyundais HDA to be extremely reliable and I use it all the time. The HDA2 with heads up display is even better with auto lane change as experienced in my test drives. Really looking for other's options on Autopilot thoughts with a MY.
IMO if you're buying the car for the FSD tech, I would not. It has a long way to go.
The car itself is awesome. You won't find Performance like it anywhere else; period. An Ioniq 5 is 0-60mph in 7.4 seconds, lol. Why even compare these two? Totally different animals.
(Edit: AWD Ioniq 5 is a sluggish 4.5 sec 0-60mph)

• Funny
Reactions: enemji
I'm sure you're both right. I just need to actually make a long trip and I'm sure the "range anxiety" will disappear after that. As I said, I don't do them often so probably making a bigger deal out of it than it is. lol
Where do you want me to go? Let me verify it in the car. Sure I'm out the door now.

It was a WHOLE LOT easier to get over range anxiety with an 88 mile Leaf. It didn't take much over an hour for the anxiety to kick in.

For a long-range trip
1) Ask the car how to do it (Push button, "Navigate to XXX")
2) Turn on Charger display (upper right corner after touching screen) Familiarize yourself where the alternatives are.
3) Get in car and start driving
4) Forget about what the car told you in step 1. Take some detours, enjoy the route.
5) Plan for Supercharger stops to match up with bio-breaks. If you have to eat, charge. If you have to charge, then empty bladder, fill car, fill tummy all at once.
Just always make sure that the Nav is pointing somewhere. It doesn't have to be your destination; I point to a variety of things on my trips. If it is pointing somewhere, then it will take care of you. If you may be getting close to running low (10%) it will let you know to slow down a little to be assured that you get there.

The Nav system is very conservative.

Get our and road trip!!! The car loves it.

This is great advice and great information.

IMO if you're buying the car for the FSD tech, I would not. It has a long way to go.
The car itself is awesome. You won't find Performance like it anywhere else; period. An Ioniq 5 is 0-60mph in 7.4 seconds, lol. Why even compare these two? Totally different animals.
(Edit: AWD Ioniq 5 is a sluggish 4.5 sec 0-60mph)
The definition of sluggish has evolved!

Reactions: laservet
There is one more thing I'd like to add...

At $54k-$7.5k the car is a good deal. PB and range issues aside, it's definitely worth it. I paid almost $70k for the same vehicle 2.5 months ago. At $70k it's definitely NOT worth it. It has too many bugs that should be ironed out for a vehicle in that price range. But at $47k it costs as much as any car these days and I'd recommend it.

Hi TMC,

I ordered an MYP on Jan 23 and it has arrived at the Salt Lake City Tesla dealer. I deferred pick up until Thursday, March 2 because I need to hear the news from Elon tomorrow before I commit. I am concerned about the lack of USS, impending HW 4.0, and phantom breaking issues and considering walking away to go and pickup the Ioniq 5. I originally decided the ioniq 5 was a better option based on features but was not willing to pay the $5k over MSRP back in Jan. Since then the Ioniq 5 is down $6k to compete with Tesla. The MYP has grown on me since ordering and I love the styling and while I have never driven the performance version I did like driving the LR demo. I feel like vision will eventually have some sort of park assist solution so I'm willing to discount the lack of USS. So my pendulum swung towards the MY.

How bad is this phantom breaking issue? I think that is where I'm interested in other's opinion as I try to make a final decision. I have a Hyundai Palisade with Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and it's amazing. I have found Hyundais HDA to be extremely reliable and I use it all the time. The HDA2 with heads up display is even better with auto lane change as experienced in my test drives. Really looking for other's options on Autopilot thoughts with a MY.
I picked up my 2023 YP in. February and I want to trade it in. Only been 2 weeks. I’ll wait for HW4 or just get a BMW/Merc..

While I'm not actually doubting your issues with phantom braking I think all the "issues" should be taken with a grain of salt as well as the "praising".

Have you ever concidered that other people might not have the same kind of experience with phantom braking as you have?
So other people that actually have not encountered so many phantom braking scenarios does not automatically make them "tesla fanboys that will never admit to having a single issue with their car".
I asked my friend about phantom braking on his MYLR 2023 and he said it has occured maybe 4-5 times and he said he uses it ALL the time.
He did not find it problematic at all and his autopilot works very well and he is no Tesla fanboy whatsoever. I don't know if it's because the roads here in Sweden are easier for the autopilot to navigate through maybe.

So while there probably are "tesla fanboys that will never admit to having a single issue with their car" praising Tesla to the sky the same goes for all the people registering on this site that does not even own a Tesla yet still hates on the car to the fullest with pretty much anything you can think of.
It's like some people only search for faults and issues about the car.
With that being said, I think that everything on a forum should be taken with a grain of salt not only "tesla fanboys".
My 2016 Model X has less phantom braking than the 2023 MYP.. Along with non existent parking, object detection chimes, etc. how does a system degrade?! And they charge more for the product? False advertising.